excellent drain clean video

alank

Over engineered.  It's that non-return valve/flap that's the issue.  What exactly is that protecting from, ingress from outside? 
If you have water at that level, I'd suggest you have significantly bigger issues!

When I had my '12 Boxster S done a few years back this was a new issue. They also mentioned the standing water can make the funnel behind the plug become brittle and crack, giving another route for water to run in.  No NRV at the end would significantly reduce the risk IMO.

1 hour ago, Simo_UK said:

Over engineered.  It's that non-return valve/flap that's the issue.  What exactly is that protecting from, ingress from outside? 
If you have water at that level, I'd suggest you have significantly bigger issues!

When I had my '12 Boxster S done a few years back this was a new issue. They also mentioned the standing water can make the funnel behind the plug become brittle and crack, giving another route for water to run in.  No NRV at the end would significantly reduce the risk IMO.

It’s to stop nasty biting insects from making their way up the pipes apparently.  

was advised on 987 by opc to pull them out and vim in them.  

3 minutes ago, Paul P said:

It’s to stop nasty biting insects from making their way up the pipes apparently.  

was advised on 987 by opc to pull them out and vim in them.  

Yup, my drains were "modified" by the supplying dealer to remove these.

4 hours ago, Simo_UK said:

None of them seem to be any better - on the Z4 you can’t even see the drains from the top and have to go in via the wheel arch, the TT was just as bad with the pipes blocking and then overflowing. The only convertibles I’ve not had any issues with drains are the Mini and CLK 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

None of them seem to be any better - on the Z4 you can’t even see the drains from the top and have to go in via the wheel arch, the TT was just as bad with the pipes blocking and then overflowing. The only convertibles I’ve not had any issues with drains are the Mini and CLK 

13 years with an Audi a4 cab.  Never even looked for a drain.  Roof sat outside the clamshell when up so didn’t have the intrinsic problem

generally though once someone tells you that there’s a “weakness” that takes 2 mins to check then why wouldn’t you just check and clear properly once  and then just have a quick look every week if you have to leave the car somewhere prone to leaves / tree cr*p or everyone you wash it ? 

Edited by Paul P
  • Like 1

From research into parents Kangoo (now gone), the Megane would collect leaves under the front scuttle which would lead to water wrecking the wiper motor. To replace the wiper motor needed removal of most of the dash and integrated center console. 
Maybe I misremember but it seemed as expensive as the Porsche ACU/RCU design. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very nice video with one major problem in my opinion at 13min 24sec. You cannot just pull it off at the front there is one torx screw that needs removing which cannot be accessed without removing the washer bottle, there is also a plastic fastener at the front which needs the central pin removed. A bit fiddly but no big issue. To do what was suggested however is not possible unless somebody had removed them previously. 

I have a picture but I don't know how to upload it as I have just done this job and took a few pictures so I knew how to put it back together.

Cheers

Graham

9 hours ago, graham964 said:

This is a very nice video with one major problem in my opinion at 13min 24sec. You cannot just pull it off at the front there is one torx screw that needs removing which cannot be accessed without removing the washer bottle, there is also a plastic fastener at the front which needs the central pin removed. A bit fiddly but no big issue. To do what was suggested however is not possible unless somebody had removed them previously. 

I have a picture but I don't know how to upload it as I have just done this job and took a few pictures so I knew how to put it back together.

Cheers

Graham

Hi Graham.

I did this job yesterday and thought exactly the same as you and did take the nearest plastic pin out, I did see the other torx screw further back as you say behind the water bottle but I didn't remove it, (did exactly as per the video) it did come off but I must admit I thought I was pushing my luck a bit with the amount of force I used no need to remove the torx screws or the plastic pin, glad to say it all went back easy enough as per the video, here is the link to my post, didn't put this on here as it is for all Boxster's not just a 981.

when I first come on this forum they never had so many variants in different sections so you never missed anything like this, I said this would happen when they changed it. 

Hi @Daboy3000 it's just as much a pain in the ass to dismantle the top end to gain access to one of the drain holes, here's that video.

Hi Simo @Simo_UK your right "over engineered" having said that I did put mine back on, now I know the lay out I will keep them clear of derby.

Guvs.

Yep, me too. Removed the non-return valves after water ingress into the driver's side. Removed all carpets and interior trim to dry out. Took absolutely ages, even at the height of the summer, in the greenhouse, this year to dry. The sponge foam soaks up a LOT of water. Dreadful design, not being able to access the end of the drain tubes easily. Should have exited the body at the lower end of the car IMHO with a straight run down. The requirement to remove the side panels is horrendous.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, I will give it a try (just pulling the front of the side section off) next time I do this job, as putting the washer bottle back in was a bit of a pain. Incidentally this problem came to light when Porsche serviced my car (it's under warranty) and they offered to do the job for me and said it's a 3 hour job, which I can now understand, what I find hard to comprehend is how the OPC can charge just under £200/hr incl VAT, making clearing your drains£600! I must be getting old, I have bought cars for less than that so I gracefully declined their most generous offer.

• Haha 1

@graham964the biggest issue I had was undoing the torx screw which is (from memory) located just ahead of the driver's door inside the wing bit. I made up a special tool from a bit of flat bar glued into a socket torx driver of the right size (can't remember now. I used that to unloosen the screw one spline at a time (if that makes sense) then removing and installing the key again. Took ages, but it eventually worked. I found the washer bottle to be not too hard - yer man with the white Boxster on YouTube (Jeff Richardson) has a good bit on removing and installing the washer reservoir. I almost had heart failure when the wipers stopped working after the job until I realised that they don't work if the bonnet isn't fully closed. Phew!

• Haha 1

To be honest all that disassembling isn’t necessary if done a few times a year. Flexi Rod down from the top gentley is what I did every few months

and follow with a few litres of water to confirm jobs oxo 

Edited by zagamuffin

I thought with the 981/718 drains it was better to put a controlled blast of air into the drains rather than poke something down them due to their routing shape ? 

Happy to be schooled otherwise.

So far my £100 air compressor seems to be doing the job at 2 mins a side every few weeks and my car lives outside.

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

Best way to do it I think @iborguk

Did the drivers side today took me 1.5 hours start to finish, I didn't think it needed doing as I run weater down the soft top mechanism and water run out 👍 what I didn't know was only one was clear 

2023-01-18_10-21-23

Something else I did 

2023-01-18_10-20-46

The pannel almost fell off  😀 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is a little old now but after all this rain and snow we have just had I would check your carpets if you leave yours outside.

Having owned a 986 for 8 years and always parking outside I always clean my drains out on my 986 and it's so easy compared to a 981 I have to say I'm a little in shock 😲  at how much more work it is having just put an holding deposit on 981 boxster