Is it worth it ? Possible Macan purchase ?

Wish

Thinking of jumping into a cheap Macan. Nothing special 2.0 around an 18 plate with under 50,000

Whats everyone opinion ? All I read is transfer box failures and high cost servicing ?

Do I stick with a BMW X3 M sport ? Is the BMW a better car ? 

I had a 2.0 as a loaner when my Boxster was in for servicing.... pretty gutless and highly strung. Not as smooth a drive as the V6 versions.

Currently have a 17 plate GTS. But under Porsche Warranty as I had read the same as you as well as cam cover oil leaks on the GTS V6. But I read the transfer box is covered under a general 7 year warranty for everyone, so no need to had the OPC approved used warranty and they will replace it if it fails. I've read a few that have had it covered on that.

I’ve had 2.0 and v6 Macans several times as loners, but never lived with either.  Certainly the v6 suits the character of the car much more IMO and if I was to buy new the uplift would be worth it to me. I actually achieved better mpg with the v6 than the 2.0.  That said I wouldn’t really say the 2.0 is gutless or even particularly underpowered, it depends what your expectation is but can 260bhp really be underpowered. Of course if you are thinking of the Macan as an SUV many will be used to diesel engines with decent low down pull, the 2.0:doesn’t really have that so much and requires a a few more revs to wake up …hence the reason for poorer mpg in my case.   

I do about. 6,000 per year. I don’t know if it’s worth the gamble. I’m sure I can get in to a BMW m40 for the cost of a Macan.

My old X3 was a 2.0 petrol at 190bhp and was fine as a dog wagon. 

I want to own a Macan just don’t know if it want to get back involved with Porsche Service Centres. 

I’ve found a 2018 2.0 with a nice spec in grey. Full Porsche history. Might make a low ball and if it comes it comes. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Wish, ... as a Macan 3.0 owner unfortunately I can't tell you how good the 2.0 engine might be, but the car itself is a great place to be in;  ...  but if it is a cheaper version you're after, some friends have had the diesel model and speak very highly about it. 

... I know it's not strictly Porsche but I do have some ownership experience on the difference between the BMW 3.0 and 2.0 engines and the x5,  the 2.0 litre isn't a patch on the 3.0 and in my personal opinion I think the Macan is an all round better car than an x5. 

I have a 2021 Macan S as my daily driver, shopping, commuting, trips to the tip, bicycle transporter a perfect (pretty fast) jack of all trades  🙂 and my plan now is to hang up my helmet, gloves and boots and switch over from a lifetime of motorbikes and buy a (long lusted after) Porsche Boxster as a Macan stable mate. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M4can5 said:

my plan now is to hang up my helmet, gloves and boots and switch over from a lifetime of motorbikes and buy a (long lusted after) Porsche Boxster as a Macan stable mate. 

👍  We have seen worse combinations :) 

My turbo was good, faultless.  2016 car so had the older style dash which was button central - tech may seem very old compared to a BMW even of the same age.

I heard the 2.0 was pretty gutless.  Point of note there is not much interior space.

S

We just jumped from a BMW X3 30d to a 2018 Macan S.

was worried about transfer case and leaks, but had it inspected and all good so far. I keep toying with OPC warranty which will cost £1800 over two years.

my thoughts so far:

the 3L twin turbo is sublime mates to the PDK gearbox.

It looks better than the X3 which I loved and kept for 7 years.

X3 had better cabin storage, but looked bland even in M Sport guise.

The Macan is juicy compared to the diesel.

ride quality is better than the X3. Macan is on 21" wheels, X3 was on 19"

would I go back to the X3?
NO
It was a great car, that served our family well, but having 2 Porsches on the drive is lovely, and the Macan gets lots of admiring glances. 

I'm thinking of upgrading to the 2022 version in a year or two. 

Edited by Pinewood

5 hours ago, D8EAN said:

@Wish what happened with the low ball offer? 

Macans seem to be holding money well? 

Miss my GTS model - superb sound and did everything very well! 

Never made it @D8EAN the horror stories put me off. 
thought I found a decent spec X3 M40i the other day but it had cheep tyres fitted to it and missed its last service with BMW…… 

I have a 2019 3.0 S. Nice car but thirsty in town. Service costs are higher due to the oil changes. I have the Porsche Service Plan which is £86 per month for 24 months. I think It covers 2 services , 2 oil changes and 2 mot’s. I was quoted £1250 for the major service recently and these are not going to get cheaper. I also took the 2 year extended warranty. So thats about £3500 for both over 2 years but should ring fence costs. At the service I was told Porsche could replace the 4 tyres for £1600. Redpath Tyres were £1060 and Michelin are giving £100 back. So £960 total. Off for 2 weeks in Northern Spain so hope to enjoy the car. 

15 hours ago, Wish said:

thought I found a decent spec X3 M40i the other day but it had cheep tyres fitted to it and missed its last service with BMW…… 

i binned my GTS at 18,000 miles  - had to have new pads and discs all round and the quote was close to 6k thru porsche so i thought get out whilst the going was good.

same with the q7 - discs pads tyres all needed doing at 33k - so ive chopped it for a Vorsprung model 

15 hours ago, Wish said:

What is your budget for an X3 M40i?

Our friends have a pretty fully loaded one they are looking to sell in the near term, its carbon black with a tan interior and has all packs bar the drivers assistance plus pack!

I have driven extensively both a 3.0SD Macan and the 2.0 Petrol and the 3.0 diesel was a lovely car and the one to own IMO, the 2.0 petrol was far from gutless, it drove really well the only annoyance was the fuel economy of it!

I'd buy one without pan roof as that caused some issues on the 3.0d but otherwise they were brilliant cars and had no issues inc transfer box and much better than an X3 IMO. 

On 6/29/2023 at 8:58 AM, D8EAN said:

i binned my GTS at 18,000 miles  - had to have new pads and discs all round and the quote was close to 6k thru porsche so i thought get out whilst the going was good.

same with the q7 - discs pads tyres all needed doing at 33k - so ive chopped it for a Vorsprung model 

I had discs and pads (f & r) on my Macan Turbo replaced at Porsche Brooklands for £1800 inc VAT recently. Who quoted you £6k??!

Talking of Macans, I just did a trip to Paris and back over the weekend and it was an immense motorway eater. Much better than our previous car (RR Sport) and just munched up the miles. If I was to recommend an SUV it would be a Macan in any form over a Q5, BMW or Merc. They’re wonderful for what they are. I’d probably go for an S or a diesel S over a 2.0 which I had on loan before though, it just felt too lethargic but was still a lovely car. 

I have just driven Edinburgh to Plymouth and the shown MPG has gone down by at least 10%. The OPC updated the software when it was in for a service 2 weeks ago. Anyone else had similar. Is this Petrolgate rather than Dieselgate?

17 minutes ago, lawrencequinn said:

I have just driven Edinburgh to Plymouth and the shown MPG has gone down by at least 10%. The OPC updated the software when it was in for a service 2 weeks ago. Anyone else had similar. Is this Petrolgate rather than Dieselgate?

10% seems excessive!
Did a 174 mile round trip earlier today and my macan was showing 550 mile range 😂 best I have ever seen. Its usually 350-400. Filled the tank up before i left and when i got back, it averaged 33mpg, not back for a Macan GTS. 

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Where is the OPC with the longest drive?

1 hour ago, dpg123 said:

Riddle me this, riddle me that…I don’t know! 

I was thinking with that price, they saw him coming a mile away...

I would have loved a Macan for what it does but I have no interest in paying Porsche servicing costs for my family car.