Has the Market changed drastically?

Ringmaster999

On 9/4/2023 at 7:27 PM, alank said:

been offered 30k for my White S, 28000m, most options, by Ashgood , which is 150£ less than WBAC did on friday ??

Hi AlanK, I might be interested in your Boxster if you are still looking to sell.  Please PM me.

7 minutes ago, EXY said:

If I dyed my hair ginger that would make me cool 😎 

Cool changes over time. A few years ago you needed asymmetrical hair & statement glasses.

I've never had any of these qualities... but I do drive a Porsche.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Cool changes over time. A few years ago you needed asymmetrical hair & statement glasses.

Not sure that makes you cool either these days, but who gives a flying.... 🤣

I'm approaching that lovely age where I can bitch and moan and blame it on being old, although I do still retain my hair!

Edited by Mattman42

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

29 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Not sure that makes you cool either these days, but who gives a flying.... 🤣

Interesting, the OP was regarding price but it would seem that perhaps Porsche isn't the cool choice it once was.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 6:24 PM, EXY said:

I came into a bit of money recently (redundancy) which it just so happened coincided with the launch of the MG4 X-Power so I called into my local MG dealer late July and explained that I would be in a position to buy a car immediately. Dealer seemed quite keen and mentioned they have a MG4 Extended Range coming in in the first week of August IIRC. I said I would love to test drive it and if it was as quick as it looked on paper that would be the car for me and if not then the X-Power would be.

As I mentioned that was the first week in August, haven't heard a tap since but did notice the same dealer (different branch) had a brand new MG4 in white, which is my preferred colour, they are obviously still getting enough to do them and have more customers than cars it seems as the white one has dropped off Auto-Trader.

Dealers, you couldn't love the kents, even if you reared them :(

Ohh it has reappeared,,,

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202308291327724?sort=relevance&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=XPOWER&include-delivery-option=on&make=MG&model=MG4&page=1&postcode=BT23 8QX&fromsra

6 minutes ago, EXY said:

Interesting, the OP was regarding price but it would seem that perhaps Porsche isn't the cool choice it once was.

Starting to see a few price reductions on boxsters in the last week or so, although none seem to be selling still. Tough market

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My suspicion is the Chinese now will be like the Koreans 20 years ago and the Japanese 40 years ago. Regarded with great suspicion/ laughed at by many, colourful reputation from those that buy (yes it's cheap and has a great spec, but there are serious quality issues and no spare parts)... but eventually improving and coming to dominate as they realise what the European market really wants, at a price that the European brands can't match.

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

My suspicion is the Chinese now will be like the Koreans 20 years ago and the Japanese 40 years ago. Regarded with great suspicion/ laughed at by many, colourful reputation from those that buy (yes it's cheap and has a great spec, but there are serious quality issues and no spare parts)... but eventually improving and coming to dominate as they realise what the European market really wants, at a price that the European brands can't match.

I reckon you are on the button there Meno.

Talking to an MOT tester recently and he reckoned that while FIAT, Renault, Citroën & Peugeot still have their first MOT (4 years in NI) problems with suspension and electrical MG don't have a trend yet although to be fair they don't see as many.

I'm still not fully complacent with buying a Chinese car, same goes for Tesla's as the M3 comes from China 🤔

10 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Nearly as quick as the deprecation then 😬

Seriously though, that's good stats compared to othe EVs twice the price 

LoL remember the title of this thread  ;)

To be fair the projected depreciation is reckoned to be over 50% for the first three years, but in all honesty how could you ever believe or trust their figures.

Don't forget the stats include real world 200 mile range AND a 7 year warranty but again to be fair there are lots of parts/components drop out of warranty before the 7 years are up, a bit like KIA in that respect.

'My Ride' used to have our Leaf described as 'Fridge' simply because I seen it as an appliance  :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

Wow, look at those big meaty brake calipers….

But they are 'ORANGE' how fruity is that  :laugh:

If I did get one I would probably remove the caliper covers and X-Power badge to make a sleeper.

Or a wolf in sheep's clothing before you say it is so boring it would put you to 😴 

30 minutes ago, EXY said:

I'm still not fully complacent with buying a Chinese car, same goes for Tesla's as the M3 comes from China 🤔

My iX3 was made in a Chinese factory and the build quality is perfect imho.
China has been making cars and parts for the big manufacturers for years so I reckon they will have the skills and tooling to make some quality products now.
I thought that those MG things would be cr*p, but having seen a few in the flesh I think they are better than you expect.

28 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Nearly as quick as the deprecation then 😬

My Pop's MG is a ZSEV and this is the cheapest comparable car on Autotrader ATM,

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202307139628898?sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=Exclusive&fuel-type=Electric&include-delivery-option=on&make=MG&model=MG ZS&postcode=BT23 8QX&fromsra

Assuming it sells for around asking price would mean my Pop's has lost 25% in depreciation.

Regarding longevity this is interesting, 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202308311398368?sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=Exclusive&fuel-type=Electric&include-delivery-option=on&make=MG&model=MG ZS&postcode=BT23 8QX&fromsra

2 minutes ago, EXY said:

Done some miles, wonder how the battery health looks on it.

5 minutes ago, eob said:

China has been making cars and parts for the big manufacturers for years so I reckon they will have the skills and tooling to make some quality products now.
I thought that those MG things would be cr*p, but having seen a few in the flesh I think they are better than you expect.

I agree on the quality, I was thinking more along the lines of supporting China's economy.

Can't help thinking we have dug a hole for ourselves by becoming a nation of coffee shops and shopping malls which are in steady decline.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iborguk said:

Done some miles, wonder how the battery health looks on it.

I checked the pictures but funnily enough it doesn't show the SOC/Range.

Typical dealer IMHO couldn't lie straight in bed FFS.

20 minutes ago, eob said:

I'm aware iphones are made in China and several people (no comment) think they are awesome quality, of course they have the skills.  Truth is most things these days are made in China. My point was more the supervision/QA - when supervised by a European/US company, the cr*p doesn't make it here so we just see the good bits. I've been to Mongolia and bought stuff made in China, and seen the apartment blocks built by Chinese; they are literally falling apart within 5 years.  They will try to sell any cr*p they can get away with (like any dodgy European company frankly) but it's by trial and error they will work out what is good and gets repeat orders, and what ruins their reputation. And they will offload the low quality stuff to a market that is not so demanding.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EXY said:

I agree on the quality, I was thinking more along the lines of supporting China's economy.

Can't help thinking we have dug a hole for ourselves by becoming a nation of coffee shops and shopping malls which are in steady decline.

Oh yes, totally agree.
I think that the Evergreen grounding was a test by Factory Asia to see our (The Wests) reaction if they suddenly cut off the supply chain.

I've worked in massive shipyards in Aisa and I've thought to myself "Why are we not doing this back home?" And it comes down to labour is cheap and they don't give a t*ss about H&S.

• Like 1

We don't do it because we can't, and the vast majority of our population isn't interested in manual labour. That generation is long gone.

My experience of Chinese made kit is quite positive, but often a clone or take of something that already exists. 

Edited by daz05
  • Like 1