Has the Market changed drastically?

Ringmaster999

29 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

When I bought the orange one s/h from a dealer in Germany I was personally vat exempt but normal Germans weren’t. So yes some places charge. 

If you bought second hand in GErmany since 2020 you would potentially been able to buy German VAT free, as an export purchase leaving the EU, bit it would be subject to VAT and import duty on import to UK (on full second hand price) from HMRC 

1 hour ago, Codfanglers said:

Just checked the WBAC price on my car. It's at 42% of what they were quoting just over two years ago. I've not seen one fit for the road for sale anywhere their price though.

If you did it wouldn't hang around.

8 minutes ago, daz05 said:

If you did it wouldn't hang around.

Anyone selling at a WBAC valuation needs their head testing. They always lowball, that's their model and how they make a profit. Not once seen a WBAC valuation that is anywhere near market pricing at the time.

So if you do sell at WBAC price, let me know 🤪

Edited by Mattman42

18 hours ago, Codfanglers said:

Just checked the WBAC price on my car. It's at 42% of what they were quoting just over two years ago. I've not seen one fit for the road for sale anywhere their price though.

I’ve been trying to sell my car as per other posts. But no luck. WBAC currently values my car at 20k (25k in July) which explains people offering 25k and literally telling me they are doing me a favour😳😳😂 But I concur with what’s been said previously. I can’t find any cars at 25k anywhere near my spec 

Edited by Ringmaster999

I still have notifications coming in from when I was looking, definitely seeing S models coming down in price to what base were at 6 months ago, a nice red S just popped up at a dealer in Solihull for 26900 which was unheard of when I was looking in March/April with a 27k budget

I’m looking to buy at present and most sellers have their heads buried in the sand.  The prices on AT are, in most cases, ludicrous.

I missed out on a nice’ish 981S Boxster in early July.  2014, 29k, main dealer history, good spec etc.  It was up for £32k but when I looked at it, it needed about £1-£1.5k spending to make it great rather than just tidy (alloys needed refurbing, scuff on two bumper are and a prominent trolley dink).

I offered £31k but the seller had an offer in the table from a trader at £32k.  He sold to the trader who, just a week later, put it up at £38k (for a non-main dealer advertised 2014 Boxster S 😂😂).

It’s still for sale, but now reduced to £37k.  In this market, with the summer over, it’s probably now worth £30-£31k from a good dealer.  

From what I’m seeing, prices are £5-£10k above where they need to be, and will probably be, by Christmas.

As an aside, I’ve just ordered an EV to be my daily driver and lease rates for many cars are 20-30% below the peak in 2021-22 and, even so, volumes are beginning to suffer.

Slow new sales = low new prices = rapid reduction in used car prices.

I'm lucky that my Porsche acquisition will be a weekend toy so I can wait until the market corrects itself before I buy.

it’s very quickly becoming a buyer’s market.

1 hour ago, jnwright71 said:

I’m looking to buy at present and most sellers have their heads buried in the sand.  The prices on AT are, in most cases, ludicrous.

Prices were ludicrous 12 months ago, they still are and until people stop buying them at these ludicrous prices they will continue to be so. 
Can not blame the owners for wanting maximum return on their vehicles but the prices were not realistic 12 months ago, they are still not but a lot still sold so good for them, I however like your good self don’t price these cars with the same rose tinted glasses…….

Thats why we still don’t own a Boxster 🤣

• Like 1

I'm trying really hard not to buy any new toys. But I have seen some tempting prices in last couple weeks. Cars around 25 to 30k dropped 2k and then dropped 2k again. Going from expensive to reasonable to cheaper looking. But I'm telling myself this is the just the start and prices have further to go. I could be wrong obviously but lets see. Or maybe I just buy something because I can't stand waiting any longer. Maybe I should stick with the stable I have or sell something. I hate selling. Maybe I'll keep myself occupied throwing money at the turds I have.

isn't this just the same old story as there has always been? Sellers want the most for their asset, buyers want to pay the least - depending on how desperate the seller is, that will dictate the price they are willing to accept. some may have lucked out and sold high, but probably purchased another car at a similar premium, so the delta doesn't really change.

Cares are still being bought and sold, dealers are still making the profits they need to stay in business, we are just a very, very small niche in a massive machine which will keep on churning no matter what the doom mongers say

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

isn't this just the same old story as there has always been? Sellers want the most for their asset, buyers want to pay the ‘appropriate’ price depending on how desperate the seller is, and idiot YouTubers and piston head members bigging up their cars that will dictate the price they are willing to accept. some may have lucked out and sold high, but probably purchased another car at a similar premium, so the delta doesn't really change.

Cares are still being bought and sold, dealers are still making the profits they need to stay in business, we are just a very, very small niche in a massive machine which will keep on churning no matter what the doom mongers say

I’m sure that’s what I said in a roundabout fashion 🤣  🤔

However I’m neither desperate to buy or have any inclination in paying ‘substantial’ overs on a car that I value at less than those wanting ‘silly’ money for…. but I did say good luck to those that do/have!

2 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

I’m sure that’s what I said in a roundabout fashion 🤣  🤔

However I’m neither desperate to buy or have any inclination in paying ‘substantial’ overs on a car that I value at less than those wanting ‘silly’ money for…. but I did say good luck to those that do/have!

surely for a man of your means, we are talking pocket change for a mere boxster?  :P

Can't you pick one up on your travels and import it back? must be room on one of your planes that someone won't notice!

Edited by Mattman42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

Can't you pick one up on your travels and import it back? must be room on one of your planes that someone won't notice!

Probably in the cockpit mate, let's face nowadays planes fly and land themselves so I'm pretty sure once he's up and heading vaguely in the correct direction he's up the back having a kip.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

surely for a man of your means, we are talking pocket change for a mere boxster?  :P

Ok you got me there as Boxster are cheaper in the U.K. generally so I need to stop being such a tight ar*e and live a little 🤣

5 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

Probably in the cockpit mate, let's face nowadays planes fly and land themselves so I'm pretty sure once he's up and heading vaguely in the correct direction he's up the back having a kip.

So many truths in one paragraph 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2023 at 2:49 PM, EXY said:

Well that's a kick in the teeth.

MG run a scheme called 'Infinity' for public sector types and there is about £6k off a new top spec MGZS EV.

So I asked for a trade in quote on his car which is 3 years old very shortly.

Now we bought cheap at the time as the list price was £28k and we bought for £20k and the trade in is now £10k.

I can't find anything available in the entire UK that even vaguely matches his car for less than £14k so is it yet another example of thieving robbing stealers or just business as usual being resumed. 

4 minutes ago, EXY said:

yet another example of thieving robbing stealers as usual.

About as accurate as i can edit your post for you 👍🏻

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, EXY said:

Now we bought cheap at the time as the list price was £28k and we bought for £20k...

....example of thieving robbing stealers or just business as usual being resumed. 

dont these two lines contradict?

🤣

On 9/20/2023 at 7:46 PM, mr.tourette23 said:

I still have notifications coming in from when I was looking, definitely seeing S models coming down in price to what base were at 6 months ago, a nice red S just popped up at a dealer in Solihull for 26900 which was unheard of when I was looking in March/April with a 27k budget

Still for sale and dropped below £26k now. Seems like a nice car with a decent amount of Porsche warranty on it. Doesn’t look like much is selling at present unless there is something dodgy in the history of that one. There was a nice blue one with PSE and full dealer history that did seem to sell at about that price fairly quick.

2 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:
7 hours ago, EXY said:

Now we bought cheap at the time as the list price was £28k and we bought for £20k...

....example of thieving robbing stealers or just business as usual being resumed. 

2 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

dont these two lines contradict?

🤣

With a spot of shameless editing perhaps  ;)

I presume the dealer had a markup against the £20k and you have said yourself "what is a list price".

My accusation of an example of thieving robbing stealers was against the £10k offer on my Dad's car with the justification of comparison against cars available in NI and this is the closest there is in year (about 3 weeks apart) , mileage (less than 1000 miles in it) and specification/model (both are Exclusive spec) although my dads is arguably a much nicer colour IMHO ;

https://www.usedcarsni.com/330240418

How would you describe a £6,700 mark-up on a £10,000 pound car? 

1 hour ago, EXY said:

I presume the dealer had a markup against the £20k and you have said yourself "what is a list price".

My accusation of an example of thieving robbing stealers was against the £10k offer on my Dad's car with the justification of comparison against cars available in NI and this is the closest there is in year (about 3 weeks apart) , mileage (less than 1000 miles in it) and specification/model (both are Exclusive spec) although my dads is arguably a much nicer colour IMHO ;

bastids!

:) 

• Haha 1

I have a friend in the motor trade. He told me on friday that the CAP black book car valuations had the largest percentage drop in any month on record. That's a bit of a worryunless you sold your car a few months ago and are looking to buy one now.

Having looked at Porsche dealer prices over the years, I can only assume Porsche dealers don't look at the CAP guide except when valuaing a car they are buying and deem it inconvenient when pricing a car up for their showromm when it appears 2022 prices apply.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EXY said:

Do you guys in NI have the option of Motorway, Cazoo, etc?   

I see it as an offer, a poor one, but you don't have to accept it. Be even more gutting if you'd not had the initial discount. £18k loss in 3 years is a kick in the nads. 

3 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Do you guys in NI have the option of Motorway, Cazoo, etc?   

I see it as an offer, a poor one, but you don't have to accept it. Be even more gutting if you'd not had the initial discount. £18k loss in 3 years is a kick in the nads. 

I hear you bud, it is simply their opinion/offer. And I feel sorry for the people who didn't/ couldn't/ wouldn't wait for a deal and have lost £18k.

Not sure about Motorway, Cazoo etc but we have WBAC and out of interest I popped it into their site; £10,700.

It was not that long ago WBAC were quoting £18,500 and a year or so ago £20,700 so it looks like prices have dropped just like @andygo mentioned above.

It is as always the rule cars are worth fek all when dealers are buying.

I don't mind anyone making a living BUT trying to convince me their £10k offer is a reflection of the current regional market place when I'm looking at the same information he is and the nearest car is £6,700 more.

The Lord loves a tryer and all that but how many fukwits are still running around out there with more money than sense who also don't do their due diligence.

He will just keep it, still has FOUR years warranty on it, that's a year more than a lot of manufacturers offer when new! Although to be fair I think he was just looking for a home for his excess cash but he will probably just do what he always does and give the grandkids extra big Crimbo pressies  :santa:

1 minute ago, EXY said:

I hear you bud, it is simply their opinion/offer. And I feel sorry for the people who didn't/ couldn't/ wouldn't wait for a deal and have lost £18k.

Not sure about Motorway, Cazoo etc but we have WBAC and out of interest I popped it into their site; £10,700.

It was not that long ago WBAC were quoting £18,500 and a year or so ago £20,700 so it looks like prices have dropped just like @andygo mentioned above.

It is as always the rule cars are worth fek all when dealers are buying.

I don't mind anyone making a living BUT trying to convince me their £10k offer is a reflection of the current regional market place when I'm looking at the same information he is and the nearest car is £6,700 more.

The Lord loves a tryer and all that but how many fukwits are still running around out there with more money than sense who also don't do their due diligence.

He will just keep it, still has FOUR years warranty on it, that's a year more than a lot of manufacturers offer when new! Although to be fair I think he was just looking for a home for his excess cash but he will probably just do what he always does and give the grandkids extra big Crimbo pressies  :santa:

It does make you think how many people do take those offers without question. Is he taking any more applications for grandkids?🤣

• Haha 1