Has the Market changed drastically?

Ringmaster999

3 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

It does make you think how many people do take those offers without question.

Is he taking any more applications for grandkids?🤣

When we bought our Nissan Leaf in 2013 we got £5k discount from the government and £11k discount from the dealer, still have the paperwork, but it still wasn't even remotely close to being enough to dodge the first 14 months depreciation,  fell short by about £3.5k IIRC. 

The forum I frequented at that time had several patrons who had paid £26k for basically the same pre-facelift car.

Re: grandkids, I think if you sat on his knee you'd break his legs :laugh:

• Sad 1

Anyone of a nervous disposition would do well to avoid entering the reg to wbac at the moment. The spread is enormous. I looked at a 4.0 Boxster on AT advertised at high £80’s. Wbac are saying close to £30k under that. 
12 month old Emira’s with 1k miles are coming in at £45-46k against asking prices of £70k plus. 
I’ve never bought a used car from a dealer but given what the market is doing lately, I thought it with enquiring about a 991 cab at Exeter. No sooner had I sent an email, the dealer called me back. All very professional and business like, as you’d hope. I shortened the foreplay to get down to price. He asked where I’d like to be. I explained my price would need to start with a 5. Against an ask of £66. The bloke started to stutter, like he was short circuiting. He sounded a mixture of appalled, nauseated and outraged. I recognise the tone as I hear it a lot from the Mrs. Clearly, not willing to entertain anything approaching a double digit % drop on the ask. 
It’s as well he didn’t ask me what number I had in mind after the 5. He may have burst into tears and soiled himself. 
There are no end of sellers, all wanting ‘yesterday’ prices. I fear many of them will remain owners for some time to come. I’m ready to drop a tidy sum for my next car, but it will be at a today price. That’s set at a worthwhile amount more than trade will pay. 

• Thanks 2

Problem is, trade do use it as a guide. Not necessarily on an exclusive basis. Perhaps CAP as well. Perhaps using some knowledge of a specific cohort of cars. But it is an indicator. Currently it’s clear they don’t want to buy. Unless their margin is massive. Fine if you are ambivalent about selling. But if you need your car gone, what do you do?

Funny, the other day was talking to a car salesman and he said 2nd hand car prices had never been so high, their is still fall out left from the shortage of parts for new cars, and long waiting lists for new. 

Looked on Ashgood , cridfords and Harbour Cars and not a single Boxster 981S for sale, perhaps because its winter ?? But if you wanted one,( and not OPC prices) would have to look Privately it seems.

p*ssedonheads thread on the GT3 is feking hilarious, 12 months ago they were all claiming how worthy the price tag of £70k overs (at £220k+) was on such a car… read it now, theres nothing but bitching and moaning about how expensive they are and they are fed up of the flippers even though most are priced between. £170k - £190k. feking idiots, the lot of ‘em 😂

• Haha 1

WBAC isn't, and has never really been setup for Porsches and higher end sports cars - they want bread and butter motors they can punt through the auctions quickly and easily - that's why their prices are low, they don't want the cars. There will always be a few idiots that take the offer because they can't be bothered to do some leg work or believe the ads.

Motorway, Cazoo, etc etc are regularly giving higher prices than WBAC.

Not surprised sales people are fed up though - joe public thinking they can buy a car at a WBAC price 'because that's what its says its worth' with no consideration for any other costs, yet still wanting top money for their P/X. Not sure why its perceived wrong that a car dealer makes a profit on a car - that's the business they are in.

2 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

WBAC isn't, and has never really been setup for Porsches and higher end sports cars - they want bread and butter motors they can punt through the auctions quickly and easily - that's why their prices are low, they don't want the cars. There will always be a few idiots that take the offer because they can't be bothered to do some leg work or believe the ads.

That was the case before they set up Cinch. So they have the market covered both ways, BCA own WBAC and Cinch... anything not retail worthy goes through BCA and anything good goes to Cinch. Win, win for them

2 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

That was the case before they set up Cinch. So they have the market covered both ways, BCA own WBAC and Cinch... anything not retail worthy goes through BCA and anything good goes to Cinch. Win, win for them

And Rylan collects your car as well - win win win... :)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Not surprised sales people are fed up though - joe public thinking they can buy a car at a WBAC price 'because that's what its says its worth' with no consideration for any other costs, yet still wanting top money for their P/X. Not sure why its perceived wrong that a car dealer makes a profit on a car - that's the business they are in.

Not sure i understand this quote??? 
So what your saying is it’s acceptable (well known) for stealers to offer you WBAC price or less as trade in and its ok for them to want nothing less than last years stupid prices too, so 2 bites if the cherry.

Appreciate they need to make money as a business but surely car market volatility works both ways.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

And Rylan collects your car as well - win win win... :)

fek that the smarmy luminous toothed tw*t!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, r1flyguy said:

Not sure i understand this quote??? 
So what your saying is it’s acceptable (well known) for stealers to offer you WBAC price or less as trade in and its ok for them to want nothing less than last years stupid prices too, so 2 bites if the cherry.

Appreciate they need to make money as a business but surely car market volatility works both ways.

Pretty much - its always been the way - before WBAC - it was the CAP Price Guide/Black book trade in price  - the "guides" have always been less than market value, but the perceived benefit is a simple transaction and/or a chip off the purchase price.  Just the art of the haggle has been put online now so less opportunity to have a conversation.

When doing the classics, the margin was usually higher from PX's than it was from buying cars to sell.

Its an offer - no one is forcing them to take it. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Pretty much - its always been the way - before WBAC - it was the CAP Price Guide/Black book trade in price  - the "guides" have always been less than market value, but the perceived benefit is a simple transaction and/or a chip off the purchase price.  Just the art of the haggle has been put online now so less opportunity to have a conversation.

When doing the classics, the margin was usually higher from PX's than it was from buying cars to sell.

Its an offer - no one is forcing them to take it. :)

I recently went to my local OPC to see about trading the Macan GTS towards a 2021 GT3, what i feel is a kick in the teeth from a stealer is the low ball trade in offer followed by overs on the list price. Like you say…. We got to within £2.5k on the deal but they wouldn't budge so i walked. The overs was not substantial as the prices have dropped somewhat but i know what i want im happy to negotiate but im happy to walk away too.

4 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

I recently went to my local OPC to see about trading the Macan GTS towards a 2021 GT3, what i feel is a kick in the teeth from a stealer is the low ball trade in offer followed by overs on the list price. Like you say…. We got to within £2.5k on the deal but they wouldn't budge so i walked. The overs was not substantial as the prices have dropped somewhat but i know what i want im happy to negotiate but im happy to walk away too.

This is the month to buy from a stealer too.  Last month to count units sold and send to HQ to be converted for 2024 allocation.  Might be worth "popping in" next week to see if Mr salesman has had his end of year wake up conversation.

I got more than double your number off, with options added too. 😉

I'm planning on visiting Reading this weekend for a nose at any 4 litres and hoping my man maths has caught a cold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, r1flyguy said:

p*ssedonheads thread on the GT3 is feking hilarious, 12 months ago they were all claiming how worthy the price tag of £70k overs (at £220k+) was on such a car… read it now, theres nothing but bitching and moaning about how expensive they are and they are fed up of the flippers even though most are priced between. £170k - £190k. feking idiots, the lot of ‘em 😂

I follow that thread

The amount of ego in there is funny

Arguments pop up from nowhere

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ATM said:

I follow that thread

The amount of ego in there is funny

Arguments pop up from nowhere

Th amount of ego on all the PH Porsche threads is laughable - all trying to outdo each other with the price of their 911s, I always point any Boxster questions to this forum as you won’t get any sensible answers on there

9 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Th amount of ego on all the PH Porsche threads is laughable - all trying to outdo each other with the price of their 911s, I always point any Boxster questions to this forum as you won’t get any sensible answers on there

Where are the sensible answers on here? 😬🤷‍♂️🤣

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Not sure why its perceived wrong that a part-time car dealer makes a profit on a car - that's the business they are in.

Ohhh FFS here we go Matt's latest sale incoming.

I have it on good authority from Matt's son that his Boxster is available for test drives this weekend.

• Haha 1

I wouldn’t knock WBAC s computer algorithm.If it takes ages to shift ( cabs in winter ) then tying ££ up in cabs which could be used in something that shifts in 14 days is madness .

They are auction results less admin/ transport / storage fees .

Add in some changes in public buying habits ie belt tightening for 2nd / 3rd cars in the sub £30 K sector and big bill worry in the sub £10 K sector and you have a dearth of buyers so it’s risky to punt £ s into them .

Mean while at the bottom end the “ station car “ the ULEZ compliant , the cheapo insurance grp business is booming .You know Polo 1,2 s etc