Has the Market changed drastically?

Ringmaster999

You also have to remember that is you used a car daily back in the 60s and 70s and did over 12k miles a year, its was often a complete rust bucket MOT failure after 5 years.  So even if you kept what you had then you'd have likely to have had to fully restore it maybe twice by now.  The ones around now are survivors, hence the demand and corresponding price.

My dad had a string of Cortinas and then Cavaliers which were all garaged and washed regularly (a rich vein of pocket money IIRC 😉)  and by 3 years old surface rust was visible through the paint on all but the German built X-reg Cavalier Mk2, even the UK built B-reg that succeeded it had rust by 3 years 60k miles when it was replaced by a Toyota that looked prefect still after 3 years, and so did the next one to the extent he kept it as part of his retirement package and ran it another 3 years.

Edited by ½cwt

10 hours ago, cozzykim said:

I was once offered a "take your pick" directorship in a company looking to head hunt my engineering skills.

The only sticking point was that, as they did a lot of work for BL, I'd have to give up my Sprintex'd XR4x4, and drive a company Allegro.

I declined. 🤨

I seem to remember that the head of design at Longbridge went to work in a Ferrari. 

Re the WBAC valuations, I was recently in email dialogue with East London OPC enquiring about a 4.0 GTS they have in at low 60s, he sent me a screen shot of a WBAC valuation for my GT4 at 44k, and expected us to go from there.

Needless to say, that conversation went no further. Standard mark up at an OPC appears to be at least 10k.

12 hours ago, cozzykim said:

I was once offered a "take your pick" directorship in a company looking to head hunt my engineering skills.

The only sticking point was that, as they did a lot of work for BL, I'd have to give up my Sprintex'd XR4x4, and drive a company Allegro.

I declined. 🤨

Presumably the Austin Aggro was quite a bit older than the XR4*4?

19 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

Presumably the Austin Aggro was quite a bit older than the XR4*4?

I was debating the accuracy of the "Allegro" when I typed, but CBA to think harder about it. It was probably a brand new Maestro(?), but I was so traumatised by the suggestion that the memory of the meeting is, thankfully, hazy. 😁

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, plynchy said:

Re the WBAC valuations, I was recently in email dialogue with East London OPC enquiring about a 4.0 GTS they have in at low 60s, he sent me a screen shot of a WBAC valuation for my GT4 at 44k, and expected us to go from there.

Needless to say, that conversation went no further. Standard mark up at an OPC appears to be at least 10k.

WBAC are knaves.

2 hours ago, plynchy said:

I'd have borrowed his PC and searched all GT4s in OPC stock UK wide to show forecourt prices and gone from there.  Not a very scientific or thought out sales approach for sure!

4 hours ago, plynchy said:

I’m confused! Did you not reciprocate with a WBAC valuation of their 4.0GTS 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8