Red exclamation on dash

Porschevirgin1968

Hi

I had a test drive in a 2005 987 S today, after driving car for around 10 minutes the dash had a message for low washer bottle, washer bottle was full but red exclamation mark was showing on the dash, car is sound and had lots of money spent on it brakes and pads, coil packs and plugs changed recently, fsh. It's got fsh, but rear bumper will need changed at some point got a small cosmetic split in it, lacquer has small crack on front bumper too, he wants 8k for for it. Thinking about offering him 7k, saving the 1k for jobs to be done, thoughts anyone. Drove very well. 

22 hours ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Nothing serious then. Guessing it could just be the sensor in the washer bottle level. 

Guess so.  Hardly a showstopper.  The key thing is that red exclamation will come up for anything. Low fuel, washer fluid, blown bulb etc

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, temporarychicken said:

If you get it for 7k it sounds like a good deal overall, given the minor nature of the issues you have identified this far.

How many miles?

On closer inspection both bumpers would need repairs front bumper lacquer was cracking, rear bumper was spilt all the through, looked like a Stanley knife cut it it was so clean! Would not move from 8k. 

12 hours ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

On closer inspection both bumpers would need repairs front bumper lacquer was cracking, rear bumper was spilt all the through, looked like a Stanley knife cut it it was so clean! Would not move from 8k. 

Plenty of others around in better condition at similar money. Thats about £1k of work on a car with 112,000 miles on it

3 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

Plenty of others around in better condition at similar money. Thats about £1k of work on a car with 112,000 miles on it

Guy has just been messaged, he said he would take 7900. It's 102k miles. MOT is pretty strong, had lots of work done on it. It's had new brakes/discs/lines, new starter motor, fsh. New plugs/coils, new top mounts. 

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/results?registration=Yn55laa&checkRecalls=true

24 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Could do with getting that red exclamation mark read on code reader, searching amazon now. 

Code reader will not read that. A sstated higher up the thread, it is just there to tell you there was a message in the bottom screen like "low fuel" etc.

5 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Code reader will not read that. A sstated higher up the thread, it is just there to tell you there was a message in the bottom screen like "low fuel" etc.

Even if the washer bottle is full and it's still saying washer bottle needs topped up. Will the exclamation be related to the washer bottle level fault possibly. 

25 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Even if the washer bottle is full and it's still saying washer bottle needs topped up. Will the exclamation be related to the washer bottle level fault possibly. 

Assuming it is pretty much the same job as the 986 which it looks to be from the parts diagram, but a different module 955 628 105 00, it is two prongs that go open circuit when the fluid drops, so it is solid state not a level float assembly as on the 9x6 range.  Maybe it is just that the plug has come off or not been reconnected after they did the brake lines as you have to remove the tank to get to the front/rear hard lines.   if it has failed, it is about £22 from an OPC or under £6 for Autodoc... 

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

No, its sole purpose is exactly what we have told you it is. The sensor is probably stuck or faulty and telling the car it is empty.

OK, thanks. I know I may sound a bit thick, but its my first adventure into the Porsche world. So you are the guys with the knowledge. 

29 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

OK, thanks. I know I may sound a bit thick, but its my first adventure into the Porsche world. So you are the guys with the knowledge. 

Not sure @Bike Loon knew which type of sensor it was... 😉

There are no stupid questions, only stupid, or ill thought out answers.  It is also better to ask than fek it up and then ask...

By the way, this looks like a good enough one to buy after the search you've had.  A decent body shop will be able to reinforce an repair a small split in a PU bumper. 

This (done by someone else, not me), see the split below the rear light cluster:

XhvWTtV.jpg 

Became this:

NMXScql.jpg 

You have also hopefully found a useful peer-to-peer support for Boxster ownership.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Not sure @Bike Loon knew which type of sensor it was... 😉

There are no stupid questions, only stupid, or ill thought out answers.  It is also better to ask than fek it up and then ask...

By the way, this looks like a good enough one to buy after the search you've had.  A decent body shop will be able to reinforce an repair a small split in a PU bumper. 

This (done by someone else, not me), see the split below the rear light cluster:

XhvWTtV.jpg 

Became this:

NMXScql.jpg 

You have also hopefully found a useful peer-to-peer support for Boxster ownership.

Looks like a very good silver match too - very unusual!  great job

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

Looks like a very good silver match too - very unusual!  great job

The guy I uses does restoration and custom work, not insurance claims. His speciality is Porsche and this repair about 3 years ago was £278 based on me giving him the stripped bumper ready for his guys to go straight into prep. Saved the other party a fortune, it was less than their excess!