Red exclamation on dash

Porschevirgin1968

2 hours ago, JonSta said:

Do you know when the car was registered or the engine number? 2005 is the IMS crossover year. Personally I wouldn't buy the early type. An overstated risk I know but....

It was registered 1st September, mine is July and my engine number is above the number for the stronger IMS so this one should be too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

far more important to me was the tax on a 2005 is £300 a year cheaper than a 2006.

if the cars managed 100k+ miles and 18 years, chances are the IMS is just fine.

Agreed, it is a no brainer for the tax, although I was tempted by a Boxster S 2008 3.4 from a dealer at 10k. But I missed out. Probably just as well, lol. Extra 300 for tax would of hurt when you see the condition of our roads, lol. 

2 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

also i believe if you go up to the 3.4 you then have to worry about bore scoring, which is a far more prevalent problem than IMS problems, in my opinion.

Totally, guy has just come back and said all the service history for the car is recorded electronically and no service book, is this right? Gonna try and chase this up before committing to confirm? Always a catch somewhere!! 

No car new in 2005 would have been Electronic service history. If it was me, I would be wanting the seller to buy a new genuine Porsche service book and get all the services, brake fluid changes etc fully stamped before buying the car. £10 says he wont / cant do it.

Without the above its got to be priced as a car with no proven service history to me.

Edited by Bike Loon

7 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

No car new in 2005 would have been Electronic service history. If it was me, I would be wanting the seller to buy a new genuine Porsche service book and get all the services, brake fluid changes etc fully stamped before buying the car. £10 says he wont / cant do it.

Without the above its got to be priced as a car with no proven service history to me.

Agreed, maybe that's why the car is so cheap at 7900. 🤔 I have contacted the Porsche dealership in Leeds, let's see what happens, no records and no book, no sale. 

18 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

Stamped books can be faked  

What you want is a file of papers,,,.but dealers hide behind GDPR (incorrrectly in my view.)

Which is why I went for private sales with a bundle of papers...including the original sales invoice 😏

I've had no issues with dealers providing the previous owner details are redacted. YMMV.

33 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

oh man - you just don't have any luck at all.

No proof of history equals no history, no matter what the garage says - why can't they just state that on the ad and price accordingly?

Maybe it's just not meant to be Matt, lol. My wife thinks I'm nuts for still searching, lol. She said she would of admitted defeat now, lol. No chance I'm giving up, well, not for a while yet anyway. Lol. 

21 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

@Paul P and @Araf are down that way... sure there are many others too :)

Its not uncommon for Garages (or auction houses) to not know what the options are

Cheers, will try and catch up with both of them and ask the question, I'm sure some people enjoy spending other people's money, lol.