PSE has eventually arrived

Dermot

Cotswold Porsche had my PSE on order from May 2022.  It arrived just before Christmas and was fitted a couple of weeks ago.  I think I was #1 on the back order list.  So if you are looking for one I would suggest you start asking again about delivery dates.

They now have a perfectly OK standard exhaust in the corner of their workshop, if anyone wants it let me know.

• Thanks 1

That’s interesting I have just recently bought a 981 Boxster and ordered a PSE in November last year from Porsche Glasgow for my car. They gave me a date of the 28th of this month to supply and fit it. I have not heard anything from them so I am hoping it will still happen on the 28th but I also know the PSE’s have been on back order for quite a while just have to wait and see what happens 

18 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

<wazz on bonfire>  So now the clock starts on how many months it takes for one of the valves to seize?  </wazz on bonfire>

I would hope if you kept the valves well lubricated with high temp grease and actuate them regularly then that would fix the problem of the seized valves 

You'd hope. Not sure how much Stuart's experience tallies with that.

Anyway, maybe this lot is a new batch with better design/materials/build tolerances. We know Porsche revise several parts over their life, it would be nice to see something here. "Make sure the valve part number ends in 003, the 002 were notorious for seizing" :) 

2 hours ago, Dermot said:

Cotswold Porsche had my PSE on order from May 2022.  It arrived just before Christmas and was fitted a couple of weeks ago.  I think I was #1 on the back order list.  So if you are looking for one I would suggest you start asking again about delivery dates.

They now have a perfectly OK standard exhaust in the corner of their workshop, if anyone wants it let me know.

Just wondering if they gave you a trade-in allowance for the used standard exhaust against the PSE? I’m probably going down the route of a non-PSE ,981 so was already wondering 🤔 ……………

2 minutes ago, ribroaster3 said:

Just wondering if they gave you a trade-in allowance for the used standard exhaust against the PSE? I’m probably going down the route of a non-PSE ,981 so was already wondering 🤔 ……………

I had PSE Retro fitted back in Nov 2020. Asked to have the old exhaust and sold it for £100 privately. If I hadn’t asked for it as far as I am aware they just bin it. 
Must admit when I had the x73 suspension retro fitted the following year I couldn’t be bother retrieving the standard suspension and anti roll bars. All of which I presume ended up in their scrap bin 😳 TBH I think I made a mistake there as the car only had 20k on it. You live and learn.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

<wazz on bonfire>  So now the clock starts on how many months it takes for one of the valves to seize?  </wazz on bonfire>

My biggest fear I must be honest. But it’s used frequently on a drive just for the sake of opening and closing the valves. They also get regular WD40 sprayed on and then manually operated to get that all in. Never had an issue and three years and 15k miles of use 👍 must admit car isn’t driven through winter 

Edited by Ringmaster999

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

You'd hope. Not sure how much Stuart's experience tallies with that.

Anyway, maybe this lot is a new batch with better design/materials/build tolerances. We know Porsche revise several parts over their life, it would be nice to see something here. "Make sure the valve part number ends in 003, the 002 were notorious for seizing" :) 

mine wasn't lubricated, neither of them

no 2 PSE sounded different to PSE no 1 so I'm sure there are changes to the design even if slight...unfortunately I don't think this has any impact on longevity though!

Lets hope the Topgear lasts longer than the 20 to 30k miles either Porsche PSE did

On 1/22/2024 at 8:27 PM, Stuart21UK said:

mine wasn't lubricated, neither of them

no 2 PSE sounded different to PSE no 1 so I'm sure there are changes to the design even if slight...unfortunately I don't think this has any impact on longevity though!

Lets hope the Topgear lasts longer than the 20 to 30k miles either Porsche PSE did

Stu

you can change the sound and volume of the exhaust by loosening the centre joiner behind the tailpipes and covering/exposing for open flange….

cant make the PSE VERY fruity 

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2024 at 4:46 PM, Dermot said:

Great news, I've "only" been waiting since September 2023 and the last date I was given a couple of weeks ago was mid-February so fingers crossed it's an accurate date this time.

Might give my OPC a call.  Never did fix the drivers side one which seized and then the actuator snapped.  If I can do get away with what Volkswizard guy Andrew did on his, and just replace one side for £1100 of whatever, it'll stop me thinking about Carnewal and/or TopGear (watching these threads and so aware that basically everyone has PSE's seizing)

This thread has piqued my interest in the PSE - although my 981S has the Carnewal GT, I've always wanted that button for the extra pops and crackles.

Called Leeds OPC this morning - they have 6 (no tail pipes) on back order with an ETA of Feb/March. They have had 2 delivered recently (with tail pipe).

Cost (without tailpipe) is £2090 + VAT fitted so an eye watering £2.5k!

I'll stick with the Carnewal until I win the lottery....

On 1/24/2024 at 9:32 PM, Withy said:

Might give my OPC a call.  Never did fix the drivers side one which seized and then the actuator snapped.  If I can do get away with what Volkswizard guy Andrew did on his, and just replace one side for £1100 of whatever, it'll stop me thinking about Carnewal and/or TopGear (watching these threads and so aware that basically everyone has PSE's seizing)

I'll just leave this here...

• Like 2

I 'm just not lucky:

PSE - used everyday, and lubed yet seized both sides.

Topgear - gone through 3 leaking valves in less months.

p.s. I've got the original tailpipe in the shed.

• Sad 2

Good to see these becoming available……as looks like I need a replacement too. 
Not a seized valve, but one side will close when switched but won’t open (valve opens when turned by hand). 
Mild drama with the OPC telling me it had seized without testing it. Going in for testing as could be a vacuum issue. 
We’ll see. 

Vacuum issue throws a dash error code stating coolant error. FYI

And most will then blame the changeover valves, rather than anything else as they are made of swiss chocolate too...Already been down that route.

Vacuum leak also makes a noticeable drop in mpg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Patt said:

Vacuum issue throws a dash error code stating coolant error. FYI

And most will then blame the changeover valves, rather than anything else as they are made of swiss chocolate too...Already been down that route.

Vacuum leak also makes a noticeable drop in mpg.

Thanks Patt. 

As long as the warranty covers it, I'm good!   Fingers crossed 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 5:28 PM, deanmr2 said:

That’s interesting I have just recently bought a 981 Boxster and ordered a PSE in November last year from Porsche Glasgow for my car. They gave me a date of the 28th of this month to supply and fit it. I have not heard anything from them so I am hoping it will still happen on the 28th but I also know the PSE’s have been on back order for quite a while just have to wait and see what happens 

Just a quick update my PSE did not get fitted on the 28th of last month as the exhaust kit did not arrive and the OPC do not have a new date so still a waiting game it seems 

I have had a PSE on order which was due Jan 24 according to Porsche.  Still waiting unfortunately.  Communication isnt great to say the least.  Dropped it off for MOT on Tuesday and service reception said "we'll do your PSE at the same time"......... was quite excited to say the least.  Picked the car up, and was told "apologies, we don't have it"

Great. Not.

• Sad 1