How do you eat yours? (Miles, that is)

Mr96er

Just curious as I had my first Boxster 986 for 6 weeks and did 4000miles in it. Bought it on a whim for a driving holiday and then kept finding days to play. Sold it and within a week I'd replaced it as I knew I wasn't done yet. Had the current box for 4 months now, it's my "second car" in theory but I've still done 6000 miles approx in 4 months. Weekends, evenings dry days to the office, super market, chippy. I find new places to go just for fun. 

Previous owner did 3.5k a year. Is that more typical? 

I tend to put on about 8k per year to both this car and the previous one. I never like to do more that 10k per year but I think these cars need at least 5k per year to keep them ticking over nicely. 

Obviously depends how urban your area is as well as 6 miles for me takes about 6 minutes around my area whereas that's half and hour in London!

I got mine in mid January on about 153,100.  It's now on something like 156,400 at a guess (it was 156,076 a month ago).

She's my only car, and that mileage will get lower as I'm commuting via train from next month on.

5 minutes ago, Loz987 said:

Do you schedule in any pure pleasure miles, CJ? 

Nah, not round here.  If I was still in North Wales, I would do.  Can't stand Wiltshire, least of all the driving.

Seven years, 30 000km.

Usually that's 10 miles down the motorway/A roads then back again, once a week :( 

I knew I wouldn't do more but I couldn't go through life wondering what it would have been like to own.

30 minutes ago, antjrice said:

I think these cars need at least 5k per year to keep them ticking over nicely. 

The key here is a decent run where the engine is warmed up properly, and taken to the redline a few times, rather then the actuall miles covered PA.

A 20 mile run every weeked, would be much better then say a 5 mile trip to work and back every day, even tough you would be doing less then half the miles at

1K per year.

I've done about 155,000 miles in 18 years, in three different Boxsters, so about 8.5k pa on average. About a third of that has been done abroad on touring holidays, some of the rest as a daily drive of typically 20-30 mile each way trips. Only occasionaly used for trips of less than 20 miles. Original I used to drive mine equally all year but more recently Mrs 61's car gets more use during the winter as that has winter tyres (and chains!) which I've never got for the Boxster.

I don't really understand people who have a Boxster sitting on the drive/in the garage but can't be bothered to do more than 1500 miles each year in it :)

49 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

I don't really understand people who have a Boxster sitting on the drive/in the garage but can't be bothered to do more than 1500 miles each year in it :)

Think I only did about 2k miles in mine in the last 12 months, quality not quantity :)

I do about 6000 miles per annum, mainly weekends and holidays, or any day when the sun is out really!

I don't run it through the winter months though, I put it in the garage on a trickle charger from December to March, with the odd run on a sunny, dry winters day.

Getting to the point where I either sell mine or see another season in 2017. Can't honestly say there is any of me that wants to sell it. Maybe this is Project "keeper". 

A budget porker, solid mechanically and with some cosmetic issues that could be addressed over a winter rest from the highways. She could be rebooted! 

Mines my daily, wife has a brand new 140bhp!!! Eco boost fiesta ( what a lovely car so nippy ) so mines just used to and from work + tiny bit of weekend town work...

Prob 150/160 miles a week max in the boxster..

Saying that i've prob spent £600/ £700 on porsche maintenance!!! In 3 months so aint doing 200 odd + a week in it ha ha..

I've done about 30k in almost 5 years over 2 Boxsters. I had about 2 months of commuting 20 miles each way. I would say less than a tenth is 'daily' type duties just because a Boxster can take a garage door brush weather strip sticking out the top ? and the vast bulk is fun miles. I would say over last 4 years it's average 2.2k per year on a Euro trip done over a week. 

Now the Boxster does no 'daily' type drives and gets even less use as I commute by train and moped and it's boxed in the garage by my other car. For the first 2 years it was effectively a third car. Now it's a second car with moped alongside. 

For 30k miles I have spent more in mods and preventative maintenance than it would have cost to buy another Boxster ?

• 2 weeks later...

In the last 4.5 years, I did in total 8k, so mostly 2k a year. Last year it stayed in the garage for big maintenance for more than 3 months though. Unfortunately I live in London so driving here just became a hassle, even quiet weekend evenings. I do commute to Cambridge though twice a week, so If the weather is not too harsh I take the boxster, about 55 miles each way, pretty open roads, clean motorway. It runs fantastic. I try to avoid short-trips and busy traffic less than 10 miles, especially during winters.

Note: I've probably spent more on tires! There is always nail or metal bits in east london, so both my cars pick some nasty nails on sides, not repairable. Dreadful to replace brand new tires so often.

Mine is for stress relief from work -- I can't remember the exact number of miles this year -- I tend to take it out later in the evenings and at the weekend with the simple goal of helping me to think about some work stuff so that I can put it to the back of my mind.

Well worth the investment !!!!

Archived