What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

17 hours ago, Shazbot said:

LOL! Far from a relay expert, just some knowledge ....Sorry I can't be any real help on this one............

Still helpful. Thanks for taking time to reply :) 

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:43 AM, Eddy555 said:

I thought it was just mine that had quiet indicators, but I guess it's a common behaviour.

All Porsche are designed this way - just like your alarm not going "BEEP"  - it is thought too offence to the owner.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 5:30 PM, Shazbot said:

LOL! Far from a relay expert, just some knowledge (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing-? Not sure who I'm paraphrasing but they were probably right) and reading I'm afraid.

The relay simply handles load.

The 'motorway' lane change function is usually controlled via coding in the ecu nowadays rather than the relay itself, but I stand to be corrected.

Even on my old Mk4 Golf you could code it in with VCDS

If easily accessible you could pull your Boxster relay and check the printed markings to see if it contains any magic?

Sorry I can't be any real help on this one............

Yep, pretty much this. A little more electronic logic is required.

I once helped a friend set up a circuit with a 555 timer chip (see something like this page https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/waveforms/555_timer.html ) turning the relay on and off at appropriate times when it was triggered with a short flick of the stalk. This worked but was a bit of a faff to set up. Luckily the dash was already dismantled at the time. I have considered doing an updated version using one of the small Arduinos on my other car, but then decide it's more hassle than it's worth. :lol: The coding and setup probably wouldn't be too bad but I'd want to build something that had a failsafe as well, as I know how wonderful my soldering skills are.

This is an aftermarket jobbie but not cheap at about $60 to UK plus any taxes/VAT/Duties

http://www.autowindow.com/

This was on Wikipedia for a BMW but assume similar in principle to the idea put up by  @mk1max

https://e31wiki.org/wiki/One-touch_turn_signal_module

My audible relay is just the job for me, loud enough to hear but not OTT and easily removed if it goes wonky (Chinese quality being the lottery it is and all that) and cost less than £5 ?

Edited by Shazbot
link

34 minutes ago, Shazbot said:

This is an aftermarket jobbie but not cheap at about $60 to UK plus any taxes/VAT/Duties

http://www.autowindow.com/

Wow, irritating - I was in Canada in April!

This is great for me though, thanks a lot.

36 minutes ago, Shazbot said:

This was on Wikipedia for a BMW but assume similar in principle to the idea put up by  @mk1max

Yes, that looks similar to what we did. Wish this was around when we were researching our solution - it's mega detailed!! There are open-source circuits and coding, but putting it all on a Wikipedia page like this is impressive!

Edit to add, the circuit on the Wikipedia page is actually simpler than ours was as the timing is done without a timing chip.

Edited by mk1max

Took it for a wheel balance and full geo. So much better not sure what other garages have been doing to the car. Then went for a celebration drive and ended up at Sywell airfield for a coffee and cupcake where I saw this -

q5wdIGR.jpg

• Like 2

Wired a spare window switch to my garage door remote and fitted in one of the spaces where heated seat switches would go if I had them.

Hey Presto , intergrated garage door opener

3 hours ago, map said:

Purchased a full set of CL RC5+ pads to be fitted ahead of a trip and trackday to Spa..... ?️

Please come back with a review once they are bedded in. I am considering a set for road and track duties :)

3 hours ago, ed80 said:

Please come back with a review once they are bedded in. I am considering a set for road and track duties :)

I think this is @map second set now so if you search you may find an earlier commentary. 

Failed its mot because of my non airbag steering wheel. Good job I kept the old one. Other then that it passed with flying colours, with just a couple of advisories for brake pipes, and windscreen chips. Well pleased :)

23 hours ago, ed80 said:

20 hours ago, edc said:

I think this is @map second set now so if you search you may find an earlier commentary. 

This isn't my first set - I rate the RC5+ very highly.  They were originally recommended on this forum by one or two folks and that was reinforced by the guys who look after my car (01/02 986S).

As road pads they're not as noisy as Pagid Blue albeit they do squeal occasionally.

On Track I think they're epic - braking points have moved closer to the apex and the retardation at high speed is something else.  There is a significant "drone/rumble" from high speeds/very late braking and some folks find this concerning - in my experience the noise has no detrimental bearing on braking performance.

My car's braking system has been tweaked and is made up of:  upgraded fluid, flexible lines, enhanced cooling but standard callipers and disks.

So, with my upgrades in mind, Yes, I recommend them.

10 minutes ago, megapixelmike534@gmail.com said:

just fitted these shiny bits  ..anybody who wants the old ones can have for free ...just pay the postage ....would come in handy if your thinking of  painting yours..cheers mikes-l1600.thumb.jpg.51b195c78e62c5919129d899c509d52a.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

Yes please @megapixelmike534@gmail.com as I want a painted center console and could paint this one.  I have messaged you thanks 

Edited by Saxosim

6 minutes ago, megapixelmike534@gmail.com said:

yes just took them off mine this morning ..put the gear stick on ebay  ... give me your address  ... if you can pay say £10 into my PayPal   to cover postage  i will send it

michael.carr82@yahoo.co.uk   cheers mike

Thanks Mike 

will send it now

cheers

Simon

Gf was over last night with my birthday presents, not 55 till Thursday but working tonight and tomorrow night so got them early.

Amongst other thinks, a nice understated Porsche baseball cap in black with black embossed Porsche crest and a pair of Porsche design sunglasses.

21 hours ago, map said:

This isn't my first set - I rate the RC5+ very highly.  They were originally recommended on this forum by one or two folks and that was reinforced by the guys who look after my car (01/02 986S).

As road pads they're not as noisy as Pagid Blue albeit they do squeal occasionally.

Sounds like just what I need, thanks!

I fitted a console delete to mine today, it improved the interior no end. Planning on fitting a sat nav mount to it so I have a nice out of the way place for a tom tom.

5 hours ago, ed80 said:

I fitted a console delete to mine today, it improved the interior no end. Planning on fitting a sat nav mount to it so I have a nice out of the way place for a tom tom.

So.....  

New disks all round today, kept the front RC5+ on and replaced the Pagid rears (longish story) with new RC5+

Fronts barely worn compared to new set that were ready to go on - so the new set have been put to one side until they're needed.

Have to say the brakes are squealing like piglets at the moment - will clear I am sure with some "proper braking" which will better match the brake pad faces to the disks.

The low level of front pad wear was astonishing - that said the disks were pretty tired - fine for a pootle but outside my wear thresholds for the trip that starts first thing tomorrow.

Will update once the trip is over and expect to be a positive as I was in previous posts.

Seem to have managed to cure the slow flashing coolant red warning light which has been showing for some months now, since fitting new coolant tank, water pump, thermpstat, belt & new coolant. Interweb research showed the slow flashing (one flash per 2 seconds) to be indicating low coolant level or duff engine compartment fan. Both of these were checked to be ok. I had thought it was maybe air in the system, so ran with the bleed valve open for a good while. This did not help.

Today I poked around at the level float in the coolant tank using a long screwdriver. Hard to see what I was doing but it seems to have done the trick. I wonder if it could have been sticking?  I have stopped and started several times today and coolant light is still not showing. No doubt I have spoken too soon and will be back to square one next time I start it, but for the moment cautiously optimistic:).

8 minutes ago, el 3.2S said:

Seem to have managed to cure the slow flashing coolant red warning light which has been showing for some months now, since fitting new coolant tank, water pump, thermpstat, belt & new coolant. Interweb research showed the slow flashing (one flash per 2 seconds) to be indicating low coolant level or duff engine compartment fan. Both of these were checked to be ok. I had thought it was maybe air in the system, so ran with the bleed valve open for a good while. This did not help.

Today I poked around at the level float in the coolant tank using a long screwdriver. Hard to see what I was doing but it seems to have done the trick. I wonder if it could have been sticking?  I have stopped and started several times today and coolant light is still not showing. No doubt I have spoken too soon and will be back to square one next time I start it, but for the moment cautiously optimistic:).

I guess it was either stick as the coolant blew past or you have knocked it so that it will now always show the coolant is ok :

Edited by edc

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:28 PM, ed80 said:

I have console delete and originally I fitted a sat nav mount on the plastic trim that covers the gap in front of the gear lever, however I have now moved it to underneath the dash so the sat nav hangs down rather than stands up. This has moved it further back and out of casual site and means I could wire it in direct if I was inclined, it isn't quite as easy to see as a dash or screen mounted system but I can live with that as a trade for being more discreet.