What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

1 minute ago, BTM520 said:

Continuing to refurbish Centre caps...I have subsequently already bought a nice original very good condition set that would have been too good to miss! BUT! Covid-19 means I have a bit of time to play and already had the black paint and tiny paint brush!

npkN2A8.jpg

Very impressive! 👍

I've had a low reading on my MAF, so decided to order a new one.

A bit of advice from @PaulQ who kindly pointed out there are two types of MAF for the e gas throttle, 996 606 124 00 and a later one which changed in June 2000, 996 606 125 00 (now superseded to 01 at the end).

I had a look at mine and luckily it was the later one, so ordered a new Bremi MAF sensor from Euro Car Parts https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/bremi-air-mass-sensor-air-flow-meter-434330271 for £33.

Whilst I was punting around the engine bay, came across the reason for a small oil leak. The oil filler hose hadn't been clamped properly , probably at the last service, so now clamped back back up.

@red rocket many thanks. Up close they are not the best. Will keep them as winter centre caps or something! The ones I brought were second hand but taken off a car from when it was brand new. I also can't do "Stuttgart" with the paint brush as it's too small. Might get a felt tip pen and then lacquer over the top?! I shall see but leaving for now...

@Halfordwill I did a bit of research into simply the "brightest silver" about. Above I used Ford Moondust Silver.

24 minutes ago, BTM520 said:

Continuing to refurbish Centre caps...I have subsequently already bought a nice original very good condition set that would have been too good to miss! BUT! Covid-19 means I have a bit of time to play and already had the black paint and tiny paint brush!

npkN2A8.jpg

Good job that is mate 👏👏

32 minutes ago, BTM520 said:

also can't do "Stuttgart" with the paint brush as it's too small.

You could maybe try a Loew-Cornell Fine Line pen. Several of us invested last year after a recommendation on here. It's fantastic for small stone chips as you can just apply small amounts very gradually so may do the job for you too. 

15 minutes ago, red rocket said:

You could maybe try a Loew-Cornell Fine Line pen. Several of us invested last year after a recommendation on here. It's fantastic for small stone chips as you can just apply small amounts very gradually so may do the job for you too. 

Oh I will have a look into that, thank you. My car is black too so may come in handy?!

EDIT: I recognise what they are now after a search. I have seen "Ammo" the American detailer use those. He has since been using fine tip syringes for chips.

Edited by BTM520

I’m going to sit in mine in the garage with the door closed. The battery is disconnected and a new one on standby. Maybe I’ll bring the old one in and put it on the conditioner. 

excuting times! 

On 3/28/2020 at 3:52 PM, BTM520 said:

I also can't do "Stuttgart" with the paint brush as it's too small. Might get a felt tip pen and then lacquer over the top?! I shall see but leaving for now...

Could you not just fill with paint and the wipe off the excess with a lint free cloth?

Stared at it thinking 'it needs a good wash/wax/polish' even if its mainly going to be sat on the drive! 

Still, it will be nice to look at 😁

Edited by Truth

I'm currently upgrading the stereo to a double din, what fun this has been as I'm retaining the factory amp.

Fitted the microphone into the dash position, put one of the USB ports into dash switch blanks and have found that there are LOTS of sharp metal protrusions under the dash.

Been social distancing in the car 😁

Actually drove it!  Our day to go shopping this week.  Roof down for the first time this year as well.  Left it parked with roof down too.  Might have upset a few people with this move on reflection, but they were soon distracted by a loud Maserati driving round the car park taking their attention away.