What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

3 hours ago, the baron said:

You were lucky, mine were completely fecked, so had to replace with new ones, bit of a pain doing the drivers side due to the electronics so you dodged a bullet there.

Phew! Sounds like I was very lucky (which makes a change!) 🙂

Hi

Made up some heatshields for the cats out of embossed aluminium, removed the front left hub and changed the coffin arm. Pressed the droplink pinch bolt out of the housing (took 5t pressure) destroying the droplink in the process. Will be doing the same the other side tomorrow sadly.

Also wire brushed some surface rust off where the top mount bolts through. Will spray some dinitrol up there.

Berni

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Berni29 said:

Pressed the droplink pinch bolt out of the housing (took 5t pressure) destroying the droplink in the process. Will be doing the same the other side tomorrow sadly.

Guess those aren't coming out in most DIY environments then...  Good to know that it is best to get the upright off and take it to someone with a press straight away rather than wasting hours on it.

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

Guess those aren't coming out in most DIY environments then...  Good to know that it is best to get the upright off and take it to someone with a press straight away rather than wasting hours on it.

Hi

I think if they have never been out before then by now there is a good chance they will not be coming out easily. They are a bit after their best before date after 20 or so years anyways.

All the best

Berni

1 minute ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

I think if they have never been out before then by now there is a good chance they will not be coming out easily. They are a bit after their best before date after 20 or so years anyways.

All the best

Berni

I know from the history and recent front suspension work that one has been done, popped out no problem and one has not.  For the work I was doing I could just disconnected at the ARB end instead but really does need to be done.  I'll now wait 'til I bite the bullet and do the coffin arms....

4 hours ago, rowbos said:

I bet you say that to all the boys...

And I bet you get that from all the boys.

Picked up car from Cotswold Porsche another great service job done by Lee and the boys. Passed the MOT just a few advisory's. 

On 6/6/2020 at 9:55 AM, ½cwt said:

I know from the history and recent front suspension work that one has been done, popped out no problem and one has not.  For the work I was doing I could just disconnected at the ARB end instead but really does need to be done.  I'll now wait 'til I bite the bullet and do the coffin arms....

Hello!

I think the only time that bolt needs to actually come out is if the drop link fails, or you need to remove a strut. I am changing all my struts, otherwise I would definitely have left it well alone.

All the best

Berni 

Finally removed the alternator after it stranded me on Monday.  The back bush on the idler bolt moved first strike this morning so the Plusgas soakings on Monday and Tuesday were obviously effective, eventually.  Removed the old poly V belt ready for the new one to go in when I put the alternator on.

Only question is to find out how to test and only replace the regulator on the existing alternator or go for a compete replacement unit.  Anyone know how to do such a test?

Tackled the infamous manifold to cat bolts today.
One side was easy as some work had been done on the car previously so the bolts were just that but rusty so I cut the heads off and that was easy. The other side was original, almost nothing left but holding on.

I have a decent workshop so I ground them flush applied some heat, only propane and tried to punch them out.. nothing happened!

I decided to remove the exhaust which was a bit of a faf but once out I pressed the studs out in a vice in about 2 mins, also removed the lambda sensors which were stuck fast, cleaned and replaced with anti seize. 
I would recommend if you are going to do this job to split and remove the exhaust as the pressure required to get them out is difficult to apply in situ. 
All good now and I know it’s not going to fail on a dark December night!  

I didnt but charlie @ hoodtech.co.uk installed me a new roof with glass window

Maybe a little more expensive than carhood warehouse , but decided to go him for 2 reasons ...

A.. He responds to messages

B. He only offers a mobile service, so no doing a 5 hour round trip and 4 hours hanging around while being installed

NEWROOF1.jpg

30 minutes ago, dunks said:

I didnt but charlie @ hoodtech.co.uk installed me a new roof with glass window

Maybe a little more expensive than carhood warehouse , but decided to go him for 2 reasons ...

A.. He responds to messages

B. He only offers a mobile service, so no doing a 5 hour round trip and 4 hours hanging around while being installed

NEWROOF1.jpg

That looks very nice! 

2 hours ago, Mr96er said:

Bolted a top on! 

and I proper love it! 

Wrong time of year for that piece of cr*p, now get it off and go to sit on the naughty step until you can apologise to everyone you have hurt with this act 🙄 :lol:

• Haha 1