What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

19 hours ago, Topbox said:

Well I took my 986 along to an PCGB regional event at Denham airfield in Bucks. I am happy to report that among a gathering in excess of 40 examples of prime Porsche my most ubiquitous model was, on the day, a unique example. Also the least valuable I would guess. :rolleyes: Also the only car in the rare and beautiful Meridian Silver, although would members please note the the car illustrated below was the most Pink ;-) which for me, was the most memorable car of the day.

Nice owner too, whose father also owned a 964 (cab) in white, which was parked up along side. I am 4th car down in the row of some 30 plus cars.

denham-1_zpsf2di5wdc.jpg

We can have a little contest to see who is first to post the correct colour name, no prizes, just a small increase in Porsche geek status - its an official Porsche colour btw.

denham-2_zps1nh0fsnc.jpg

Raspberry red?

4 hours ago, Topbox said:

Had a lot of nice little touches you cant see, a little centre trim on the steering wheel in body colour, seat backs in body colour some nice bits of carbon fibre, normally not my thing, but it was so well thought through it looked impressive to any eye. The guy had owned the car eight years and did the engine rebuild himself. He was about your age J. with a young family too.

Sounds like a top chap, somebody I'd get on with who's not afraid to modernise and customise. If I had another garage space I would buy a beaten 911 shell and build something similar over a many year period. 

Anybody seen that YouTube vlogger "Salomondrin" has wrapped his Carrera GT rubystone red to celebrate 100 million video views!  

Edited by Jason986S

last night putting the car into the garage when my friend and neighbor said oh like the number plate lights some douchebag had fitted blue led's ,the worst thing is i have had it out a couple of nights mortified, can't believe i have owned the car for 5 months and only noticed now, new ones fitted

Next step in fettling current Boxster:-

Before:-

IMG_1304_zpsbu29tjbf.jpg

After:-

IMG_1305_zpsy3ex3hzz.jpg

Need to do something with the bleed nipple plastic cover

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RCS said:

Next step in fettling current Boxster:-

Before:-

IMG_1304_zpsbu29tjbf.jpg

After:-

IMG_1305_zpsy3ex3hzz.jpg

Need to do something with the bleed nipple plastic cover

I seriously like that refurb............  I saw the the top before pic first and thought another red caliper.

Nice to see a non red restored to original... what did you finish the caliper with  ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mike G said:

I seriously like that refurb............  I saw the the top before pic first and thought another red caliper.

Nice to see a non red restored to original... what did you finish the caliper with  ?

Know what you mean.  I don't mind a few 'tweaks' but I couldn't see the point of doing the callipers red as its not an 'S', and the badge on the boot says 'Boxster'  - which in itself is odd as the car's build spec says it was de badged - but i digress.

I gather from an earlier post of my 'orrible calipers that the original finish would have been anodised, and no chance of re creating that.  Didn't think gloss black was right, so ended up with Matt Black calliper paint.  Good wire brushing and cleaning with brake cleaner and painted in situ - 2 coats.  Will have to see how the matt wears/cleans, but its much better than it was.  Also painted the bells as they were manky as is usual for the bells.  

Edited by RCS
  • Like 1

So yesterday with the MOT looming I decided I had best see why the brake pad wear light was on. So knowing I had done discs & pads on rear only a few months ago I started at the front to find plenty of meat left on all 4 pads, hmm ok then faulty sensor or broken wire somewhere maybe. Popped all the front semsors out & cleaned then put back in with light now gone out result! Off I go for a test run up into the peaks to find the light back on half way into run!! Back home front wheels off again disconnected & tested sensors one side at a time but no light still on. Ok lets go to the back then with wheels off same again diconnect, test & found sensor wire had broken where it passes through the notch/guide in the calliper on nearside rear (last bloody corner I checked). Soldered 2 new lengths of wire in & sealed with heat shrink job done with the only cost being time. Gave all the brake pipes a quick wire brush & lick of paint too. :-)

IMG_20170405_152810975_zps7mue1gbf.jpg

IMG_20170405_164543286_HDR_zpsr2b96hk9.j

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mvw said:

It's always the last bl**dy sensor!  LOL

Doesn't matter what random order you check them - how do cars know that?  Getting far too clever these electrickery systems!!

• Like 1

Sat in Revolution Porsche having a minor service 

Drove it for the first time in 5 weeks as the driver's seat has been away for repair. (Didn't take all that time to repair, the guy is a very busy man and I wasn't in a hurry). Gave it some beans around the Cotswolds before putting it rest for the night. Surprised just how much I've missed it....

2 hours ago, Sonic909 said:

Cleaned the radiators and condensers... Had some paintless dents removed... Clayed, machine polished and waxed it to

glory!!!

Bloody ell you did all that in a day :) awesome job :rocks:

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:24 PM, Araf said:

Are you still talking about your car? :huh:

I think so, as no peck on the cheek was mentioned!

Just went out to the shed to check the spare gas bottle was full for today's BBQ, looked down the drive and saw a Fox sitting slap bang in the middle of

the bonnet, not happy at all as I can also see some slight scratches on the front of the car.  so I now have a Foxster.    

• Like 3

Changed the rams on the bonnet, it now pops up further when i pull the lever and stays up better once opened, the old ones worked but this is just me being too much of a pain in the ar*e to myself lol

IMG_6669_zps0hzr1ray.jpg

IMG_6668_zps0uqqswgn.jpg

• Like 1

i got them from ebay, says that they are OEM units and they do work well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302058718697?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

this is the link i think it will work and they were £17.14 each

• Like 1