What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

1 minute ago, rowbos said:

I bottled taking mine off. I let Jack at Royal take it off and swap for my refurbed Wheel - he knows what he is doing for sure.  

I nearly did, but decided to give it a go....... 

Left it for 2 hours after taking the power off to ensure the airbag would be safe, but even then was quite nervous of sitting in front of it to take the bolts out. Steering wheel 'ate' 3 T27 bits. Snapped the first one and then the next two 'disappeared' into the wheel housing. The fourth one (plus 2 days WD40) won; attached to a power drill extension socket holder and ratchet handle. First up I'd used a fixed T27 'L' shaped screwdriver which twisted completely out of shape. So, a 10 minute job (after disconnecting the power and leaving for 15 mins, as per the book) actually took over 48 hrs. I had a feeling it would on a 17 yo car, which is why a gave myself a go at it when I had the time and way before I wanted it actually done. 

Most of the normal advice suggested the wheel might be 'stuck' on, but, having unscrewed most of the thread, I left the central nut in place (to avoid smacking myself in the face with it) it literally just lifted away with very little force. The securing nut was also easily undone. I've seen a youtube video that said that this should be torqued to 35ft/lbs (47.45nm!), so it should indeed have come away easily, and it did.

One nervousness was the possibility that the obc might sense something had been done and put the airbag light on, but clearly as there is no power available whist it is disconnected, it was fine.

Also good to check you have the stereo code to hand as well.....

Having removed it, I cleaned and put it straight back on! Then drove over 100 miles - all good.

AaS

3 minutes ago, allatsea said:

I nearly did, but decided to give it a go....... 

Left it for 2 hours after taking the power off to ensure the airbag would be safe, but even then was quite nervous of sitting in front of it to take the bolts out. Steering wheel 'ate' 3 T27 bits. Snapped the first one and then the next two 'disappeared' into the wheel housing. The fourth one (plus 2 days WD40) won; attached to a power drill extension socket holder and ratchet handle. First up I'd used a fixed T27 'L' shaped screwdriver which twisted completely out of shape. So, a 10 minute job (after disconnecting the power and leaving for 15 mins, as per the book) actually took over 48 hrs. I had a feeling it would on a 17 yo car, which is why a gave myself a go at it when I had the time and way before I wanted it actually done. 

Most of the normal advice suggested the wheel might be 'stuck' on, but, having unscrewed most of the thread, I left the central nut in place (to avoid smacking myself in the face with it) it literally just lifted away with very little force. The securing nut was also easily undone. I've seen a youtube video that said that this should be torqued to 35ft/lbs (47.45nm!), so it should indeed have come away easily, and it did.

One nervousness was the possibility that the obc might sense something had been done and put the airbag light on, but clearly as there is no power available whist it is disconnected, it was fine.

Also good to check you have the stereo code to hand as well.....

Having removed it, I cleaned and put it straight back on! Then drove over 100 miles - all good.

AaS

Good job ?

Donington and back in the rain yesterday and I continue to be impressed by the new Michelin PS4s. Don't think I'd ever buy anything else for a performance car now.

Followed a grey 981 down the A5 pushing on until Towcester, two up. Gave a wave before they headed off west down the A43.

P10 from 18 starters in the first race. Didn't start the second race as I'd found I'd got no brakes on the green flag lap!

Full report at http://88racing.com

Edited by spyderman8

29 minutes ago, Billzeebub said:

Washed, claybar, polish & wax...phew! now doing nothing for the rest of the day! 

Did exactly that yesterday and am now a convert to Bilt Hamber. I'm sure it was faster on a run out this morning too!

34 minutes ago, JimC2407 said:

Did exactly that yesterday and am now a convert to Bilt Hamber. I'm sure it was faster on a run out this morning too!

Of course it was...less wind resistance ...simples !! :lol:  Must get mine done too. 

As it’s a new car to me, I’m just investigating. However, tonight I looked into the interior light to replace bulb and front boot. Both were disconnected and worked straightaway once plugged in. Result. Also bought and checked fitting of outdoor cover. Snug.

I’ll also update my profile to show 2000 986 2.7 Arena Red.

13 minutes ago, Dwdg said:

As it’s a new car to me, I’m just investigating. However, tonight I looked into the interior light to replace bulb and front boot. Both were disconnected and worked straightaway once plugged in. Result. Also bought and checked fitting of outdoor cover. Snug.

It makes you wonder why they were disconnected. One could be an accident but two is probably deliberate. Were they flattening the battery. You need to keep an eye on it as a flat battery can be a major issue.

15 hours ago, Dwdg said:

A word of warning. The front boot light is notorious for the switch failing & causing the light to stay on....with rather inevitable results. If you're unsure try recording it going off as you shut the bonnet by leaving your mobile in the boot for several seconds.

Mines been disconnected for 5 years for that very reason.

Cheers Jon

• Like 1

New front boot gas struts. Got sick of being smacked over the head whenever there was a slight breeze. About £16 each for "equivalent" ones, less 30% discounted and free postage from EuroParCarts. Took me about 1/4 to fit including re-greasing me nipples.

On 13/10/2017 at 1:30 PM, jonogt6 said:

A word of warning. The front boot light is notorious for the switch failing & causing the light to stay on....with rather inevitable results. If you're unsure try recording it going off as you shut the bonnet by leaving your mobile in the boot for several seconds.

Mines been disconnected for 5 years for that very reason.

Cheers Jon

Thanks Jon. Checked the boot light. It goes off. Phew!!! Also fixed the lack of water from washer jets by reconnecting hose behind the battery that had become unclipped. Also washed and protected the soft top. Expect beading competition photo soon. ?

Dug out my old HID ballasts to trial some H7R bulbs that I bought months ago.

Couldnt get anything to work, so suspect faulty relay. I'll get one ordered and re-attack before the nights truly close in. 

If relay doesn't solve the problem , I have spare igniters in the shed too, although I wouldn't expect both to have failed. 

20 hours ago, StephenM said:

A good coat of wax made the whole car really shine

SJM_5523 copy.jpg

Couldn't help noticing that your bumper grills are nice and black. Have you replaced or refurbished them? Mine are looking very grey and faded and need doing soon. Any tips?

Cheers Jon

6 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Couldn't help noticing that your bumper grills are nice and black. Have you replaced or refurbished them? Mine are looking very grey and faded and need doing soon. Any tips?

Cheers Jon

Try Polytrol, if they are plastic.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Owatrol-polytrol-Supports-Renovator-250ml/dp/B005A3NSFG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1508177531&sr=8-3&keywords=polytrol

quick, cheap lasts well.

39 minutes ago, Topbox said:

i have just used the stuff on my defender plastic wheel arches and its has done a great job.... brings them back to life and saved me from replacing them .  its great stuff.... luckily last year the last owner of my 987 replaced the screen and all the plastic surrounds . no need the apply. but i did it for the defender really 

Edited by fat haggis

3 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

Cheers Jon

Actually I have not replaced them, they were like this when I bought the car, however the last owner had replaced the condensers and rads on either side but I don't know if he did any work in replacing or refurbishing these.  They look like they could be removed and re-sprayed reasonably easily.

Hope that helps - Stephen

15 hours ago, StephenM said:

Actually I have not replaced them, they were like this when I bought the car, however the last owner had replaced the condensers and rads on either side but I don't know if he did any work in replacing or refurbishing these.  They look like they could be removed and re-sprayed reasonably easily.

Thanks Stephen and all others who replied, I think I'll remove the bumper over the winter and see if I can get them sorted.

15 hours ago, StephenM said:

27 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Thanks Stephen and all others who replied, I think I'll remove the bumper over the winter and see if I can get them sorted.

Mine are scabby, and I have actually got 2 new ones from the OPC, in black just to clip in when I get round over winter to taking the bumper off probably getting it resprayed, cleaning out the rads, fitting mesh etc.  Cost was about £20 per side, part numbers are 986.505.554.01 01c (right) and 986.505.553.01 01c (left), and at that money I thought I'd just fit new, as old ones had obviously been refurbished a number of times with varying expertise!!

There were some platinum coloured ones, can't recall what models got these.  Mine looked silverish, but with Porsche logic platinum coloured ones are a horrendous price of about £130 each!!  

Having said that I've had a quick look on Design 911 and they have both the above black ones at over £60 each, so if you are thinking of getting new ask an OPC for a price first.  I got mine a year ago.