Help convince me to use the car!

Rav

Since buying my Viola 986S I have little used it. I am scared that the cold will kill it.

Who uses their car all year round and stores it outside without cover?

Anything in particular to watch out for?

I m being a baby - and just need convincing to use her.....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, your being a baby :)

But no doubt your not the only one & I used to be exactly the same.

Thecworst thing about this time of year is trying to keep it clean! But I used mine now and leave it dirty until I have the time to clean it, maybe once every 3 months in winter.

It certainly won't do it harm if you use it just come the spring a thorough clean to get the salt and grime off will be required then she will be as good as New until next winter :)

Mine lives outside at moment and using it pretty much everyday. Doesn't really worry me. They are designed for it and as long as you give it some love once a week to wash salt off etc then all should be fine. Just make sure it's not sat outside and NOT being driven. Nothing worse :)

9 minutes ago, Rav said:

Who uses their car all year round and stores it outside without cover?

Anything in particular to watch out for?

Yes, it's a car.  It has German build quality and is therefore able to withstand the rigors of daily use in all weathers.

As you have a 986, I'd just watch out for the rear end getting slippy-slidey in the cold or wet - though this is more of a problem where people take the car for granted.

Thanks chaps - My car lives in the garage.

This is what scared me the worst. -

I'm the same although mine is garaged. It gets run out at the weekends and I want to use it more, but my worries are more to do with it being my P+J that I've saved up all my life for. If I took it to work I'd have to park in a public car park cue dents, dings and tears! I'm only slowly getting better at leaving it anywhere for a period of time that isn't under lock and key! Sad I know :unsure:

Mine lives in the garage and I like to give it a good run out every week or so, gave it a good clean on Sunday which showed all that hard work applying wax in the summer paid off :) I just work on the basis if it gets salt on it I wash it.

26 minutes ago, Araf said:

Yes, it's a car.  It has German build quality and is therefore able to withstand the rigors of daily use in all weathers.

As you have a 986, I'd just watch out for the rear end getting slippy-slidey in the cold or wet - though this is more of a problem where people take the car for granted.

My 986 doesn't have any traction control and it caught me out or should we say I took it for grant leaving an island and applying power, nothing serious it just skipped off the island

Even took mine on a tour of the local and not so local DIY stores @r1flyguy that B&Q in Redditch Sucks, on google maps the carpark is massive, when I arrived I found it was attached to an Asda with cars all over the place and nowhere to hide!

Why is your first question "Who leaves their car outside" then you say "Mine is in the garage"? Am a bit confused.

Your car is already 15 yrs old, plenty of chance for corrosion already, probably a lot there you don't know about  (!)

I think there's an angled jetwash attachment for spraying underneath, if it helps. But remember also that there is a lot of plastic tray underneath that protects most of it anyway.

Go for it :)  (but do be careful out of bends!)

Menoporsche - good point. Mine lives in the garage when not in use, but when I use it it will trade place with my oil burning audi. I don't have space to have multiple cars on the drive, so if I use the boxster the audi goes inside and vice versa.

I will just drive it! You are right - but in November I soiled myself when exiting a roundabout I was sideways. I am not used to that as I have been driving FWD cars for years.

54 minutes ago, Southy said:

Even took mine on a tour of the local and not so local DIY stores @r1flyguy that B&Q in Redditch Sucks, on google maps the carpark is massive, when I arrived I found it was attached to an Asda with cars all over the place and nowhere to hide!

Your not wrong @Southy it used to be twice the size before they sold half to Asda grrrrr. Now I go to the one in Halesowen should I need to browse longer :)

IMO, the Boxster is not some sort of exotic like a Ferrari where you have to worry about it all the time. Heck, most of the newer economy cars out there are worth more than an old 986 already. I drive mine all year long, and even take it to the food market. So what if it gets a few little door dings or scratches once in a while? The fun is in the driving, not in letting it sit in your garage or driveway. Use it like it should be used and get your money's worth out of the car I say! I've had this car for over 15 years now, and it started it's life with me in New York City where it stayed parked in a massive car park where a valet would park it and drive it up to me each time I needed to use it. I now live in a house, but it still gets used often! Enjoy it!

61A2B59A-CD69-41D2-BACB-20CF946C90C6_zps

7 minutes ago, Rav said:

I will just drive it! You are right - but in November I soiled myself when exiting a roundabout I was sideways. I am not used to that as I have been driving FWD cars for years.

It's scary when it first happens after driving FWD, but you soon get a feel for it. Just got to be careful when you're on summer tyres and the temp drops near zero as the grip really does drop away. Add a bit of diesel on the roundabout and it's skid pan time ?

43 minutes ago, Rav said:

Get out a driving it :) Always be careful of too much throttle when you have some steering angle on. If in doubt find a local driving course/experience centre that will allow you to find the limits and teach you what to do if those limits are breached. They can be worth their weight in gold.

Your roundabout incident signifies, as above, that you should REALLY go and find a place/invest in exploring its limits. This is very different from FWD.  BTW, does it have traction control/PSM? I remember not all the early cars did, and those without can bite viciously.

We've had a few write-offs over the years from wet roundabouts or bends :(  Take it easy!

Well I planned to get a cover but never got around to it so she has been bare all winter!

Took it out on Sunday, cold and damp... You know what's coming! Nice roundabout, opposite the garage! Last time I lost the back end was in my Viva in 1980! Good job I watched Top Gear!

My Boxster is my daily driver and lives outside. It gets washed every weekend but there's no real reason to think that it'll disintegrate because it comes into contact with a bit of road salt - just get an angled washer nozzle and hose it off when you give it its weekly clean.

Regarding being scared to drive in cold, wet temps - if you're not using the car you're not going to get used to it; you need to really get out and drive it - start slowly and get quicker as you get used to it.

Prior to the Boxster I had FWD and AWD cars so the Boxster is completely different - it's taken me a while to get used to it but its grip in cold and wet conditions is very high. I wouldn't bother with winter tyres based on my experience this winter (snow excepted).

My 981 is kept outside,during the wk i do have a cover on it,to stop cats leaving fur on the roof and nosey peeps who may accidently venture into the court yard,i also drive all yr round and if it aint raining then the tops down - i may get round to putting winters tyres on but never really bothered....enjoy it - drive it!!

The worst thing you can do is leave it outside and not use it, I use mine everyday, no matter what the weather but is is garaged at night, washed about once a month to keep the salt down, as others have said its a German car built to be driven in all conditions.

They have not invented weather bad enough to lock up your Boxster yet! 

1E7630E2-D52F-40D3-A6BB-424A31B498AA.jpg 

this was just a cheeky breakfast run. Still fun! 

From this...

36A374B0-64CE-466E-B550-AE06D960EAC7.jpg 

to this...

1411078F-224F-48DF-B064-6413462DBE20.jpg

In As long as it takes to scoff down a full English! 

JFDI

just flipping drive it! 

The tire make the difference.  In deep snow, they are wide enough to cause concern.  If summer tires, they can be deadly to your car. I wrote my first Boxster off because it wouldn't stop in just barely freezing weather with no snow.  A November day, a shady spot in the road, some fog that had lifted leaving black ice and the brake pedal just laughed at me as I slid into the back of a stopped truck.

But give me a day when the temps had just gotten safe and I'd scrape a huge pile off the car cover and take the second Boxster out to play.  Never worried about salt or such though we sure used it where I lived.

Your car and money etc but hopefully the pleasure comes from driving it not having it parked at home!

At the moment I don't drive that much at all but for several years I ran two older cars all year apart from days it was raining. This wasn't for the sake of the cars but due to always driving roof off! Slightly mad but a lot of fun, especially on the properly cold and frosty mornings like today...

No harm in a set of winter tyres, and I do indulge myself that way. But all the runs I've done with folk up north, I've been the only one on winter rubber, and we all make it home safe. 

Bad weather driving can teach you a lot about your cars handling traits and you own abilities. It's not a definitive guide, but everything happens earlier so you learn to feel more, I reckon. 

If you're not sure, invest in a skid pan session and learn what to watch out for.  

Archived