Help convince me to use the car!

Rav

20 hours ago, Rav said:

Thanks chaps - My car lives in the garage.

This is what scared me the worst. -

Why scared? As long as your car (including door, bonnet, boot shuts etc) is protected with wax, sealant, etc (the test at the end of Ammos video which created rust was on untreated metal your car isnt untreated) & is washed regularly/correctly it will be fine. Whilst mine isn't my daily it live's outside in all weathers & is used a couple of times a week with regular 200 mile weekend jaunts. I don't run winter tyre's either.

Its a car its meant to be driven not looked at just think of all the fun you are missing out on :thumbsup_anim:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I plan to use the car for the commute tomorrow - however, the ice was bad this morning. I was fighting for control in my humble A4 1.9tdi, so dread to think what 250 bhp will be like in the morning.

The rear end is twitchy - I have had a few Porsches previously, mainly 944 including the 944 turbo, 968, 911 Carrera 3.2 and none have been as happy to step out of line as my boxster.I have had the geometry checked and the only item any one can find is that the tyres are at 4mm.

I guess its fun in the summer, but in the winter it is scary!!

3 minutes ago, Rav said:

I plan to use the car for the commute tomorrow - however, the ice was bad this morning. I was fighting for control in my humble A4 1.9tdi, so dread to think what 250 bhp will be like in the morning.

The rear end is twitchy - I have had a few Porsches previously, mainly 944 including the 944 turbo, 968, 911 Carrera 3.2 and none have been as happy to step out of line as my boxster.I have had the geometry checked and the only item any one can find is that the tyres are at 4mm.

I hadn't the same train of thought. Was going to use mine tomorrow to commute, but the minus degree's will make it quite slippy out there. I was also abusing the traction control in my TDI Passat at 7am this morning which was wheel slipping happily with just 150bhp. I'll just look at the frost and temperatures in the morning and play it by ear. I miss driving the car, but don't want to bin it or get it salted to hell. In all honestly, I'm more worried about other rubbish drivers who don't drive to the conditions with ditch finder tyre's rather than my own driving competence and ability.

2 minutes ago, Rav said:

The older cars would have had older designed tyres so maybe softer compounds at lower temps which could have helped. The newer Boxster could have modern rubber that works really naff in temps lower than 7deg. I noticed in mine when it was frosty it was very skittish as there was little traction until there was some heat in the rubber. Tyres down at 4mm are not bad but there would be less tread to move about to generate any heat.

Took mine the other week when it was -2deg and they hadn't gritted the roads out my estate....couldn't do anything but crawl after lifting the clutch up as the touch or any pedal just caused the wheels to spin/lock. Luckily got onto gritted roads fairly quickly

7 hours ago, Rav said:

The rear end is twitchy - I have had a few Porsches previously, mainly 944 including the 944 turbo, 968, 911 Carrera 3.2 and none have been as happy to step out of line as my boxster.

This is normal. I thought you were just worried about a bit of salt. If you're losing it on ice, then indeed leave it at home. And as jason says, even if you control it, the guy next to you might not :( 

On 24/01/2017 at 0:26 PM, Rav said:

Since buying my Viola 986S I have little used it. I am scared that the cold will kill it.

Who uses their car all year round and stores it outside without cover?

Anything in particular to watch out for?

I m being a baby - and just need convincing to use her.....

I used a now sold 986 for 10 years as an every day car.  It did live in the garage for some of that time with a cover but it was always used as it was designed to be.  I use my 987.2 c everyday.  Get driving! Use a two bucket wash technique though to avoid paint swirls.

32 minutes ago, the baron said:

Love those wheels what are they

Thanks, they are SSR GT3 3 piece forged wheels in 18" in anthracite with a polished lip. SSR no longer makes them unfortunately. I love the look of them, and have always gotten a lot of nice comments from folks. They were made for PORSCHE specific fitment at the time and do not require any spacers...

9DFE5072-C334-4BE3-90E1-6E383EC53107_zps

I agree with those of you that say drive it, you shouldn't need convincing Rav. I was the same as you with my 987 I used to get the car out of the garage, wash and polish it and put it away again. But these cars are meant for driving and that's a lot more fun and what an escape from work, politics, Brexit and the general doom and gloom. Life is for living and our cars are for driving, we are only here once so get out, put the roof down, listen to that flat six and enjoy! Needless to say my current car is dirtier than my 987 used to be but I'm happier and more relaxed too. ?

Daily driven to work and back in whatever the weather throws at me. Just wash it every weekend to get the cr*p off and enjoy it.

As someone else has said driving in tricky conditions can teach you a lot about your car, i know it has with mine.

You will all be pleased to know that I braved it this morning and drove the car to work.

She started perfectly and I noticed that the gear lever did not auto centre, but after a few miles, everything was perfect. I really had a nice time driving it, especially through the railway tunnel near to work!

I have a longer drive home this evening as I have to collect my daughters teeth retainers from her dentist. It should make for some fun driving!

I love it!!! Thanks :-)

Been away for a few days in ours and put a bit over 400 miles on it in the most disgusting of road conditions.  It is absolutely minging and will need a bit of TLC this weekend but did I enjoy it?  You bet!  Had the roof down yesterday and had an 'interesting' drive today the scenic way back and yes it was slippery but never enough to cause me any concern because I drive to the conditions at the time not what they may have been another day.

As others have said the main problem is if the guy coming the other way cannot drive tot he conditions.  The more you do it the better you will become at controlling your car.  The best skid control is not getting into one in the first place and all you have to do is use commons sense and a light touch on all the controls.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j372/Chriswright03/IMG_20170126_103411c_zpsbhaizfbz.jpg

4 minutes ago, Chriswright03 said:

Been away for a few days in ours and put a bit over 400 miles on it in the most disgusting of road conditions.  It is absolutely minging and will need a bit of TLC this weekend but did I enjoy it?  You bet!  Had the roof down yesterday and had an 'interesting' drive today the scenic way back and yes it was slippery but never enough to cause me any concern because I drive to the conditions at the time not what they may have been another day.

As others have said the main problem is if the guy coming the other way cannot drive tot he conditions.  The more you do it the better you will become at controlling your car.  The best skid control is not getting into one in the first place and all you have to do is use commons sense and a light touch on all the controls.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j372/Chriswright03/IMG_20170126_103411c_zpsbhaizfbz.jpg

Ribblehead?

Hi,

My car's out during winter, if I remeber I throw the car cover over it, only because I'm lazy and do not want to scrap windows at stupid o clock in the morning, just make sure you wash the car down at the weekend, keep the rubbish at bay, check the air pressures in your tyres, make sure your screen wash is okay and take it slooooooooowwwwww and steady and leave more space than normal to the car in front, if you are going to slide at least you will be at a safe speed to react.Or you can say sod it! and practise drifting like the guys on Motors TV do,,,,,,,,, oh dear sorry going back to my youth again :P

It was slippery here today.  The car was spot on though. B) 

You learn more about your car when the weather's bad than you ever can when the weather's good. :)

On 24/01/2017 at 0:26 PM, Rav said:

Since buying my Viola 986S I have little used it. I am scared that the cold will kill it.

Who uses their car all year round and stores it outside without cover?

Anything in particular to watch out for?

I m being a baby - and just need convincing to use her.....

You're absolutely right. But its all fun until you hit something! Wouldn't worry about the cold, though. Mine is currently outside as the garage is full of junk, but its on a CTek charger to preserve the battery. So long as the drain holes aren't blocked, it'll be fine.

Adding to this - I've just realised I've not had any problems with the gear shifter - hasn't popped out of 2nd once.

I will say that last night with -1.5c and very slick roads my Boxster turned into a spiteful thing. Was very glad to have PSM as it certainly proved its worth.

In marked contrast today was -4c but dry and it was good as gold again.

Bottom line, drive to conditions - being a hero is pointless if you put it in a ditch.

Archived