Advice on Colour

Kevan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today we have come to our senses and use dour head and not our heart, so it will remain in the dealer's window today. 

PS Mrs Kevan is ever so slightly huffed this morning.

I don't like it, but then I think you should buy whatever colour you like, there are too many silver/grey white and black Porsches around.  It would certainly put some off on resale, but there are always some people looking for something out of the norm and for these people theres a limited stock.

I think you are making the right decision. You can get away with that colour on an RS car but I think it will date really quickly on the 718

This works better as a blue if you still want to be individual. Can understand that it may be a little more manly though and Mrs Kevan may not approve ;)

Mexico+Blue+981S1368018916.jpg

I quite like that Mexico blue, but then a thread on Planet9 was talking about Mexico Blue 911 (991.1),  apparently a lot were ord red as dealer cars and weren't selling and big discounts were being offered (this is in the USA) which I found surprising as I think it looks great.

17 hours ago, Leonard said:

Really!? I have been driving the 2.0 for past 24 hours and its silent as a mouse for 95% of time. Did the one you were driving have PSE?

I would have to disagree I found the 981 quieter at lower revs than the 718?The 981 comes into its own at highter revs.

2 hours ago, Kevan said:

Today we have come to our senses and use dour head and not our heart, so it will remain in the dealer's window today. 

PS Mrs Kevan is ever so slightly huffed this morning.

I think you definitely  made the right call there @Kevan, her 'huff' is temporary, that colour would have been permanent!  :) 

2 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

I would have to disagree I found the 981 quieter at lower revs than the 718?The 981 comes into its own at highter revs.

Just been out for a blast again and that's the only time I can hear it at sub 20mph speeds. Over that I can't hear a thing. I do have PSE on mine so admittedly can be noisy at any speed if the moods takes :) Personally I would want the engine sound to grow as you push on through rev range and that's why I'm not a convert

22 hours ago, Leonard said:

Really!? I have been driving the 2.0 for past 24 hours and its silent as a mouse for 95% of time. Did the one you were driving have 

2 hours ago, Leonard said:

Just been out for a blast again and that's the only time I can hear it at sub 20mph speeds. Over that I can't hear a thing. I do have PSE on mine so admittedly can be noisy at any speed if the moods takes :) Personally I would want the engine sound to grow as you push on through rev range and that's why I'm not a convert

I'm sorry but saying it's as quiet as a mouse over 20mph is utter rubbish! I drove the 2 cars back to back. The sound is at different octave's but not quiet. The difference as said on a 981 is top end so the engine comes to life noise wise when you accerate hard.You may find this comparison link interesting

40 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Hey just calling it as I see it/hear it. Outside of the car it sounds 'great' but I'm not interested in that. Inside I can't hear a thing roof up. Roof down barely. Just have to agree to disagree :)

I thought this was a thread about advice on colours but discovered it had been hijacked into another discussion on the "sound" of a 981 v a 718? So, to return to the OP question, the colour is not to my taste but Mrs G would buy it in a heart beat. But she also wanted the Lime Goldy Green colour when we got our 981?

10 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

I thought this was a thread about advice on colours but discovered it had been hijacked into another discussion on the "sound" of a 981 v a 718? So, to return to the OP question, the colour is not to my taste but Mrs G would buy it in a heart beat. But she also wanted the Lime Goldy Green colour when we got our 981?

I've changed my mind about Mrs's G photographic ability. She is obviously a woman of taste and discernment and can do no wrong IMO. :thumbsup_still:

22 minutes ago, topradio said:

I've changed my mind about Mrs's G photographic ability. She is obviously a woman of taste and discernment and can do no wrong IMO. :thumbsup_still:

In a completely unbiased way I whole heartedly agree... ?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ugly too. I've had red, red, red, silver, silver.  I'm thinking grey next time. I'm not opposed to being boring in color.  From my experience the bright colors drew unwanted government attention. The silvers, never.

A while back I saw a magazine piece on then current resale values and colors.  It was remarkable the difference in price the same cars brought when in different colors. Somewhere above 20%!!! They were advertised at the same price but the wrong color sat on the lot much longer and had to be discounted to get a sale.

An OPC sales manager told me that he liked to have the more unusual colours for sale because if a potential buyer liked it they would really want it and there wouldn't be another at a dealer up the road with the same car to be played off against.

Mind you he may have just been blowing smoke up my ar*e.:smoke2: 

1 minute ago, topradio said:

An OPC sales manager told me that he liked to have the more unusual colours for sale because if a potential buyer liked it they would really want it and there wouldn't be another at a dealer up the road with the same car to be played off against.

Mind you he may have just been blowing smoke up my ar*e.:smoke2: 

No, I reckon it was probably one of the only truths he told you that day. ;)   If a car can take a striking colour, then there will be a select few buyers for it, and you can charge a premium because of the rarity.

Punters can't get passionate about silver, can they. :) 

It's a great colour if you are brave enough?  My late father had a lime green fiat panda, it was the only colour they had left in stock when they had a promo month. 

The salesman actually ifferetook me to one side abs said it would be difficult to sell.Sold it after 4 years and we had 4 people fighting over it as it was different to everything out there. 

Maybe that's why you should buy it?

I think that's been done tastefully, it's accented almost identically to mine, i.e. main colour and rear of roll hoops,  black vents, mirrors (mine are all black), wheels, badge, exhaust tips.  Unlike the monstrosity discussed earlier, the inside is almost completely black and thus neutral.

25 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

That Miami blue is very nice, i was really tempted but i wanted a red interior so didn't look good together.

Yes a bit Superman :) Any pics of yours?

Archived