Snap up a 986 now before prices go the way of the air cooled 911 according to the Hagerty report

the baron

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Broxie said:

Bumping the thread as KGF, home of "Authentic Modern Classics" have just listed a 986 Boxster with 18k miles for £15,000. Looks like a very well kept car but that's going to take a big hit if you start using it properly.

VX04ANV_5-scaled.jpg

https://www.kgfclassiccars.co.uk/vehicles/23313/

It would appear from these two ads that low mileage is highly prized. Just not on this forum.

On 3/11/2021 at 6:53 PM, Clivescoobydo said:

Mileage always affects price imho.......don’t believe the claptrap of those who own moon and back examples lol

Say that to early air cooled owners, mileage means nothing it’s all about condition condition condition. The car will have had several engines or at least engine rebuilds, complete restoration of all mech parts and most of its bodywork.

Early Boxsters are starting to fall into this category, I’m not saying they are worth a fortune but they are starting to rise in price and are excepted as classic cars, in 20yrs time no one will be interested in mileage, it will all be about condition

I think most people will acknowledge that low mileage makes for a higher price but that does not equate to good value. Most people on here are not investors or speculators, at least not on Boxsters. I also prefer to modify the car and low mileage sits best with originality. Would I pay a big premium for very low mileage? I don't think so. 

3 hours ago, edc said:

I think most people will acknowledge that low mileage makes for a higher price but that does not equate to good value. Most people on here are not investors or speculators, at least not on Boxsters. I also prefer to modify the car and low mileage sits best with originality. Would I pay a big premium for very low mileage? I don't think so. 

A big premium used to be £2 - £3K. A high mileage 100K+ untidy 986 used to £3K, A sub 100K tidy 986 £5-6K, and a sub 50K mint 986 £8-9K. Seemingly the gaps are a lot more now.......

3 hours ago, T11Mike said:

Be interesting to see what happens in 20 years taking into account most cars will be fed from a power station.

Leaded petrol will be around for decades as the ROW catches up.  Probably most will be converted to hydrogen as other environmentally friendly fuels are developed, bit like LRP. Vintage cars will always be around commanding higher and higher prices as peps long for their old cars and bit of noise.

44 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Vintage cars will always be around commanding higher and higher prices as peps long for their old cars and bit of noise.

As ever, they'll be in the hands of the seriously wealthy. They'll be the only ones who can afford the fuel & other taxes levied, as the government applies pressure to get them off the road. We must enjoy them while we can.

2 minutes ago, McDonald said:

As ever, they'll be in the hands of the seriously wealthy. They'll be the only ones who can afford the fuel & other taxes levied, as the government applies pressure to get them off the road. We must enjoy them while we can.

I think we've 20 years before they turning the screw. I also imagine they'll be huge market for converting petrol over to something other than electric to avoid scrappage. Can you imagine how big the scrap yards and land fill sites will need to be if they don't!

Just now, iborguk said:

Death and Taxes. I think it will start sooner than that.

Cant see it as they'll be selling ICE (think hybrids can go on longer?) vehicles up to 2030, which could then easily run on for another 30 years, so petrol will need to be available for the foreseeable. Electric technology (range), infrastructure, take up isn't moving quick enough to eclipse the ICE quickly. God knows what will happen with vans etc.  

Just now, Clivescoobydo said:

Cant see it as they'll be selling ICE (think hybrids can go on longer?) vehicles up to 2030, which could then easily run on for another 30 years, so petrol will need to be available for the foreseeable. Electric technology (range), infrastructure, take up isn't moving quick enough to eclipse the ICE quickly. God knows what will happen with vans etc.  

Never let the situation on the ground get in the way of a good taxation opportunity.

I still say it will be sooner.

4 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Never let the situation on the ground get in the way of a good taxation opportunity.

I still say it will be sooner.

We're already taxed to the hilt on petrol anyway and they will need to find a way to tax electric to at least an equivalent level or more (to help clear the Covid debt) as petrol cars leave the scene, without putting peps off converting to an already premium product. 

1 hour ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Context is irrelevant my friend, low mileage originality will always command a premium. 

I think we will have to agree to disagree, having owned many classic cars including an original 356 Speedster, mileage on a 50 yrs old car is irrelevant.

Once ICE cars are dead and gone they will tax electric vehicles as highly, maybe higher than cars are taxed now.

They have to get the money from somewhere. The state is forever getting bigger and more costly, and as Clive mentioned, there is the Covid debt which has to be repaid sometime.

I will be 62 this year, so I wont be around when it happens and Im kind of glad about that.

We are the last generation who have had the fun and enjoyment of the ICE and the freedom to go where we want when we want. Also how we wanted , up to a point ,until speed cameras appeared everywhere about 20 years ago.

I feel sad for future generations, as they wont ever be able to experience what I have. 

14 hours ago, the baron said:

Say that to early air cooled owners, mileage means nothing it’s all about condition condition condition. The car will have had several engines or at least engine rebuilds, complete restoration of all mech parts and most of its bodywork.

Early Boxsters are starting to fall into this category, I’m not saying they are worth a fortune but they are starting to rise in price and are excepted as classic cars, in 20yrs time no one will be interested in mileage, it will all be about condition

Nah don't agree with that. Low mileage unrestored original cars provided they are in equivalent condition will always be worth more.

Archived