Snap up a 986 now before prices go the way of the air cooled 911 according to the Hagerty report

the baron

1 minute ago, bally4563 said:

I'd rather nail my testicles to a plank than own anything by Ford!!,

I guess that's one way to get wood ?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Southy said:

GT40 best ford the UK made  :) watched a great programme on the history of the car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GT40

below is the lola mk VI chassis which the GT40 was based on.

4747-2.jpg

Who wouldn’t want a Ford like that? ?

And sat next to it in the garage one of these bad boys...

sc0513-154080_1.jpg?1468644374000

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2017 at 11:51 AM, That986 said:

Early 70s Boss fastback for me please. If you're going to have muscle might as well go big.

I can understand the appeal of a Mustang, I'd have one to pose in and accept that it is probably cr*p in most respects. but a Dagenham dustbin, no thanks

1 hour ago, Terryg said:

I can understand the appeal of a Mustang, I'd have one to pose in and accept that it is probably cr*p in most respects. but a Dagenham dustbin, no thanks

Go big or go home when it comes to muscle cars and they don't get much bigger. :lol: I saw one at the pre Le Mans meet this year and it dwarfed the earlier versions, just a beast.

My buying and selling of cars has always been at a loss. The Patter goes something like this..."This Morganporsche is very rare, you are lucky to find this prime example. There are several other customers who are coming to see it...." Then when it comes to sell it, "Not a popular car, doubt if we can get rid of it, but I'll take it off your hands...."

Of course my early cars are now worth far more than I can afford to-day!:wacko::wacko:

Re the air-cooled 911s.  Don't believe everything you see in terms of asking prices.  The turnover is low and the sold prices often way under the ask.  Sure, the really collectable stuff keeps going up but the ordinary stuff has dropped off.  And the maintenance costs have gone through the roof leaving some speculators rather shocked.  And finding a private buyer for a £50k+ car, is not easy.  Ask me how I know (hint: just sold one :) ).

Depends which end of the air cooled market you are talking about, at the newer end good 993's are still being sold before hitting the open market and are often only advertised after a deposit has been taken to get some traffic. Cars are even left advertised weeks after they have sold. Maintenance costs are cheaper than any classic I've ever known, especially at the luxury sports car end of the market when you are comparing to ferrari etc.... Mine has cost me very little to maintain with most spending on "desirable" rather than essentials category. The only risks with rust are the window surrounds and rear chassis rails both of which are cheap fixes with only basic welding needed. Its one of the reasons the 993's continue to rise in value IMHO ie the fact that the running costs are extremely low and you can easily run one for <£1k pa including servicing, insurance, etc...... Fear of the unknown has always kept me away from older air cooled, with the 993 you know more or less exactly what your getting and there can never be any massive shocks / surprises lurking.

Fair call on the continuing strong demand for 993s - I don't know that market so well.

I disagree somewhat on maintenance.  Price up an engine rebuild on an air cooled now versus 10+ years ago and prices have more than doubled at reputable indies.  And there are waiting lists.  993s will rust just 964s and 3.2s before them in the same places - in the sills from the inside out, for example.  Arch liners etc help, but they are still fundamentally the same chassis.

Annual servicing is cheap until you get the one-off bills that are inevitable with 20+ yr old cars.

I would second Ken. ** Of all the Porsches out there, the mass-produced Boxsters are most unlikely to ever appreciate or become collectors' cars. JMHO. Having said that, they are tremendous fun and value for regular folks who can buy one for like 4,000 GBP, spend 2 grand and have a "sorted" car to enjoy a few years.

As a collector of watches, I could drop a few high end watchmakers' names like Patke Philippe, Vacheron Constantin or Audemars Piguet. And even there, those $ 30,000 watches are on Ebay for like $ 5,000 after a decade. Often with a new service (at like $ 1,250 a pop). That said, they have a now much flatter "depreciation curve". Just like used 986s.

Chris

6 hours ago, hs0zfe said:

I would second Ken. ** Of all the Porsches out there, the mass-produced Boxsters are most unlikely to ever appreciate or become collectors' cars. JMHO. Having said that, they are tremendous fun and value for regular folks who can buy one for like 4,000 GBP, spend 2 grand and have a "sorted" car to enjoy a few years.

As a collector of watches, I could drop a few high end watchmakers' names like Patke Philippe, Vacheron Constantin or Audemars Piguet. And even there, those $ 30,000 watches are on Ebay for like $ 5,000 after a decade. Often with a new service (at like $ 1,250 a pop). That said, they have a now much flatter "depreciation curve". Just like used 986s.

Chris

Being a watch collector myself, I would disagree with some of the choices you have mentioned, the only watch that can be considered an investment is the Patek (in your list) and even then its the rarer models such as the Nautilus range and some of the older models with various complications, Vintage and some new Rolex's are also another brand that you probably wont lose much and if kept longer will keep up with the rate of inlation at least.

Regarding the Boxsters, Im not sure what will happen, what is happening at the moment people are buying cheap Boxsters and cant afford to maintain them properly, running them into the ground, blowing up engines or crashing them, each year we lose hundreds of Boxsters, which in turn is making them rarer. It happened to the 356's of the 70's, students were buying them as throw away cars, driving them into the ground and scapping them once they couldnt be repaired with cheap VW bits.

Who knows what will happen in the future, but I reckon the very early Boxsters being the car that saved Porsche, one of the first water cooled and the first mid engine Porsche for 40yrs has to count for something, plus they are a good drive and very handsome.

38 minutes ago, the baron said:

Regarding the Boxsters, Im not sure what will happen, what is happening at the moment people are buying cheap Boxsters and cant afford to maintain them properly, running them into the ground, blowing up engines or crashing them, each year we lose hundreds of Boxsters, which in turn is making them rarer. It happened to the 356's of the 70's, students were buying them as throw away cars, driving them into the ground and scapping them once they couldnt be repaired with cheap VW bits.

Who knows what will happen in the future, but I reckon the very early Boxsters being the car that saved Porsche, one of the first water cooled and the first mid engine Porsche for 40yrs has to count for something, plus they are a good drive and very handsome.

Currently people are happy to buy them because they are cheap and seemingly good value, thinking that you can just drive it and forget it. When maintenance creeps into the high 100s and the car is never perfect as it has ageing parts people naturally want to get rid of it or scrap it as who in their right mind spends a big percentage of the vehicle purchase price to keep it going. This is the sports car version of bangernomics. There's just too many around for now for anything drastic to happen with the price/value of Boxsters.

3 minutes ago, edc said:

who in their right mind spends a big percentage of the vehicle purchase price to keep it going. This is the sports car version of bangernomics. There's just too many around for now for anything drastic to happen with the price/value of Boxsters.

Hmmm that would be me then i have paid out this year more that one and a half times what I paid for the car but now I know it's mechanically sound and drives great, I know there is no fool like an old fool but you can't take it with you. 

9 minutes ago, John2000 said:

Hmmm that would be me then i have paid out this year more that one and a half times what I paid for the car but now I know it's mechanically sound and drives great, I know there is no fool like an old fool but you can't take it with you. 

I have also spent a lot of money on both mine, despite them being a good base to start with. Mission creep,  OCD, call it whatever you want but it's as much a hobby for me. Most others won't apply the same (ir)rationale though :D 

I have vowed only to sum my spend when I sell her.

Every thing rubber has been replaced, in fact everything serviceable has been replaced or upgraded ...on top of halving the OEM service schedule.

Estimates are in excess of £20,000.

13 minutes ago, Patt said:

I have vowed only to sum my spend when I sell her.

Don't even do it then!

Once I went skiing, then later added up the full cost of the holiday, out of curiosity.  It ruined all memories of the holiday.  

From now on, with nearly everything, as long as my bank account stays healthily positive then I don't want to know the details.

10 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Don't even do it then!

Once I went skiing, then later added up the full cost of the holiday, out of curiosity.  It ruined all memories of the holiday.  

From now on, with nearly everything, as long as my bank account stays healthily positive then I don't want to know the details.

yeah never a good idea, I pondered this on my last cruise, get it out my head sharpish over a free cocktail at the bar!  :)

So I ran a auto trader/Glass' Guide valuation check on my boxster in September and it came back with a private sale value of £7,980 (87k miles), and another check last night that came back as £8160 (91k miles), are prices indeed on the way up? Its nearly winter and i'd expect to see the opposite.

• 1 month later...

Saw this on the Poverty Pork thread on PH, which is what eventually motivated me to get mine

When was the last time you saw one at an OPC? Not so Poverty at £15k...

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-customer/ipl/details/details.ipl?md5=672db9b40ac1386914a7ac2a4711de79&url=uk

AETV17032509_1b.jpg

10 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Saw this on the Poverty Pork thread on PH, which is what eventually motivated me to get mine

When was the last time you saw one at an OPC? Not so Poverty at £15k...

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-customer/ipl/details/details.ipl?md5=672db9b40ac1386914a7ac2a4711de79&url=uk

AETV17032509_1b.jpg

And its 'only' a 2.7!

I feel while interest rates remain so low the price on good Boxsters of all types will remain firm with upward pressure, I am guite tempted to buy another 986 but resist as I know to drive it would be reducing any potential return , thats the rub for me !

Archived