Snap up a 986 now before prices go the way of the air cooled 911 according to the Hagerty report

the baron

LOL, I do not understand these speculations really. When I've got my 986 nearly 6 years ago, it was a bit over 6 grand (60k on the clock). And there were still some shabby (or not) 996s were around in the range of 9-13k. I think the reality is the same.

What is happening though, I think some parts becoming a bit expensive so I've started buying some spare parts that might need change in the next few years, during big discounts. 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how many special tools and accumulated parts (just because shipping two was cheaper than paying for shipping twice) did the new owner get with my Boxster.  Several lifetimes worth of crush washers I'm sure.

I can't seem prices going up for a long time. Prices for 944, 968 etc are on the increase now, after many decades... but crucially... after many decades of production ending.

the boxster is evolving continually.. each getting better, with newer models always more desirable.

as such, the original will keep being surpressed, although I think it's hit the floor now. 

I think in 20 years time it will rise, all things being equal, but not like the 911 as that is the halo car. None of the other Porsche cars will rise significantly either, is my guess.

i got my 986 love it, spent a load on getting it to a point where i am really happy with how it looks and drives, no idea about the the total spend not added it up and i dont care, also no idea what its worth again dont care as i do not intend to sell it, running costs for 986 and 996 almost the same as noted previously, i do not understand the buying for investment as it is in reality such a small profit, especially after the time it takes for prices to rise and the costs of keeping the car in a condition worth selling.

i like the fact that most people buying or owning 986's are mostly talking about driving them and keeping them in good condition, whereas most porsche groups especially FB ones seem obsessed with " what can i buy to make the most money ? " that must be the most asked question ! i hope the 986 element does not go the same way i think it detracts from an awesome car .

I hope that makes sense.

The second question mostly asked is how comes the prices are so high for what the car is.

Sometimes feels a bit like watching that house programme on tv Location Location - I have a £100k and want 5 bedroom house with swimmng pool in Surrey lol

On 3/18/2017 at 10:43 PM, Paul O said:

I can't seem prices going up for a long time. Prices for 944, 968 etc are on the increase now, after many decades... but crucially... after many decades of production ending.

the boxster is evolving continually.. each getting better, with newer models always more desirable.

as such, the original will keep being surpressed, although I think it's hit the floor now. 

I think in 20 years time it will rise, all things being equal, but not like the 911 as that is the halo car. None of the other Porsche cars will rise significantly either, is my guess.

Lets see it will be in time for my 99th birthday....;)

Here is a stupid idea :) 

There are currently 143 boxster (986) on Auto Trader. The price range from 3 to 9 grand. More or less, with 850-900k any fund managers can quickly purchase the whole stock from the market. Then keep them with the buyers (say pay a min. monthly fee to buyers to keep the car in "normal" condition) unless they have a space to store 143 cars. Since all stock would be disappeared from the market, the fund can slowly release each 986 on the market with higher prices.

You are welcome.  :smoke2:

1 hour ago, ooid said:

Here is a stupid idea :) 

There are currently 143 boxster (986) on Auto Trader. The price range from 3 to 9 grand. More or less, with 850-900k any fund managers can quickly purchase the whole stock from the market. Then keep them with the buyers (say pay a min. monthly fee to buyers to keep the car in "normal" condition) unless they have a space to store 143 cars. Since all stock would be disappeared from the market, the fund can slowly release each 986 on the market with higher prices.

You are welcome.  :smoke2:

Until somebody else needs to sell their car for hardship or trade-up and comes and asks how much it's worth and every responding post quotes prices from the recent past, then the market is reset to where it was ...

22 hours ago, edc said:

Until somebody else needs to sell their car for hardship or trade-up and comes and asks how much it's worth and every responding post quotes prices from the recent past, then the market is reset to where it was ...

Quite true, but I guess with that worth of stock any investor (speculator) would also spare a few resources to track and purchase unforeseen movements in the market to manipulate the situation, no? I believe this was sort of what happened with both E-types and air-cooled cars about 4-5 years ago..suddenly they started to disappear very quickly :blink:

12 minutes ago, ooid said:

Quite true, but I guess with that worth of stock any investor (speculator) would also spare a few resources to track and purchase unforeseen movements in the market to manipulate the situation, no? I believe this was sort of what happened with both E-types and air-cooled cars about 4-5 years ago..suddenly they started to disappear very quickly :blink:

In theory I'm sure it could happen. But if it were me and I had that amount of liquid capital, especially if you are talking about buying out the air-cooled market, I would be targeting a much bigger gain by leveraging the cash in some stocks or property instead :D 

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:17 AM, mckennas said:

i got my 986 love it, spent a load on getting it to a point where i am really happy with how it looks and drives, no idea about the the total spend not added it up and i dont care, also no idea what its worth again dont care as i do not intend to sell it, running costs for 986 and 996 almost the same as noted previously, i do not understand the buying for investment as it is in reality such a small profit, especially after the time it takes for prices to rise and the costs of keeping the car in a condition worth selling.

i like the fact that most people buying or owning 986's are mostly talking about driving them and keeping them in good condition, whereas most porsche groups especially FB ones seem obsessed with " what can i buy to make the most money ? " that must be the most asked question ! i hope the 986 element does not go the same way i think it detracts from an awesome car .

I hope that makes sense.

well said mate my thoughts exactly , I don't think theyl be increasing in value much over the next few years  as theres no rarity value there just now ,just another case of scaremongering

31 minutes ago, kev911 said:

I don't think theyl be increasing in value much over the next few years  as theres no rarity value there just now ,just another case of scaremongering

Why do people want prices to rise anyway ?

The more people that can enjoy these cars, the better as far as i'm concerned :)

4 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

The more people that can enjoy these cars, the better as far as i'm concerned :)

+1. If for any reason I need to replace my car I can do so without a mortgage! 

2 hours ago, PaulQ said:

exactly mate there for driving and enjoying  and of course tinkering with its all part of the fun

On 22/03/2017 at 1:04 PM, paulchamby said:

877F61D5-2E45-4A61-B2F3-2052BCF9EEF2_zps

Here's a Post for the GT3 flippers on PH

On 23/03/2017 at 8:11 PM, Blackbatchew said:

Interesting - for me they will always ultimately end up worth more than a 924 as they are fundamentally a much better car to drive. 

Not untrue but not an explanation, the 924 is better to drive than a Beetle but still not worth as much.

• 4 months later...

Yes all true but everyone is forgetting, loads of boxster,s about ,anybody can buy one  because of low value ,running it until something serious goes wrong with the engine, then usually breaker time !  Just check e-bay to see how many are being broken,     Minimum £5.000 for another motor swap, £10.000 upwards for proper build from reputable company,  for this reason I think the decline of the Boxster,s on the road will be fairly rapid.

35 minutes ago, Robert beveridge said:

Yes all true but everyone is forgetting, loads of boxster,s about ,anybody can buy one  because of low value ,running it until something serious goes wrong with the engine, then usually breaker time !  Just check e-bay to see how many are being broken,     Minimum £5.000 for another motor swap, £10.000 upwards for proper build from reputable company,  for this reason I think the decline of the Boxster,s on the road will be fairly rapid.

So great for future values....

Cheers, Baggers.

Natural selection will mean that poor condition boxsters will go to the breakers in the sky, the difference between a rough boxster and a well cared for one will become more apparent, this is what happened to the 924/944's (Although they were made in much small numbers).

Desirable models will be the first produced and limited editions 550's etc to start with, so silver/red interior 2.5's

10 minutes ago, bagss2 said:

So great for future values....

Cheers, Baggers.

Exactly that. It's what happens to all desirable cars.

You start off with 3 categories: projects, dailies and show/concourse. Eventually the dailies become projects and a lot get broken due to people not have time/money etc and then you have 2 categories, the basket cases and the really nice cars. All older cars seem to go this way, beetles certainly have as there are very few what you would call daily drivers around now compared to even 10 years ago. 

Basically the cream will rise to the top and what you'll end up with is a strong demand for well sorted and maintained vehicles which will push prices up. Look at the fast Ford market at the moment, that's gone bonkers.

28 minutes ago, Southy said:

Natural selection will mean that poor condition boxsters will go to the breakers in the sky, the difference between a rough boxster and a well cared for one will become more apparent, this is what happened to the 924/944's (Although they were made in much small numbers).

Desirable models will be the first produced and limited editions 550's etc to start with, so silver/red interior 2.5's

I think you are right.

The Boxster will get its place in history as the car that saved Porsche and led it into the water cooled era. The attrition rate is quite high, you only need to visit Douglas Valley Breakers and see them all stacked up in various stages of disassembly to see that. We've had at least three gone from this site already this year and another three that I know of from another forum so the numbers are declining. 

In terms of cost, well yes the parts are pricey but if compare them to say running a classic car I don't think its too bad considering the car you get for your money and the driving pleasure. A new roof for an MGB is about £500 and replacement engines starting at over £2k.  

Archived