Snap up a 986 now before prices go the way of the air cooled 911 according to the Hagerty report

the baron

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Saw this on the Poverty Pork thread on PH, which is what eventually motivated me to get mine

When was the last time you saw one at an OPC? Not so Poverty at £15k...

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-customer/ipl/details/details.ipl?md5=672db9b40ac1386914a7ac2a4711de79&url=uk

AETV17032509_1b.jpg

I reckon even with my amateur marketing skills I could help them justify a higher price. Firstly, the "classic" on the number plate is too small. They need to play on that more. Draw a stronger link to the other classic lineage of Porsche cars and demonstrate the price potential. More use of the terms "investment", "rare" and "full Porsche Service history". 

The other trick they are missing is describing it as something like a "coveted rare manual". Also missing a trick by not using "launch colour", "original", "classic and original amber lights", "purist driver spec car with no PSM", "super low mileage", "2.7 is best as it is most easily exploited on the road".

Throw all that in and you would crack 20k for sure :D 

The amber lights do look so good. :wub:

Cheers, Baggers.

• 4 weeks later...

Would be a nice thought if prices were on the way up. Maybe they are? I was at the dealer here this morning and noticed a 986 for sale. Took a closer look as never seen one in the showroom before, normally everything is nearly brand new. Bad pic due to sunshine and can't read the small writing. It was 2002 (I think) 2.7 with 36000km for an eye watering €24000. Did not look a very good spec either with part leather seats and 16" wheels. Was in good condition though. 

I don't really track prices like I used to, but there doesn't seem to be as many bargain basement boxsters around these days. Could well just be the time of year though, as less cars are on the market. 

6 hours ago, el 3.2S said:

Would be a nice thought if prices were on the way up. Maybe they are? I was at the dealer here this morning and noticed a 986 for sale. Took a closer look as never seen one in the showroom before, normally everything is nearly brand new. Bad pic due to sunshine and can't read the small writing. It was 2002 (I think) 2.7 with 36000km for an eye watering €24000. Did not look a very good spec either with part leather seats and 16" wheels. Was in good condition though. 

Gotta be a very unique owner for that purchase! my friend just picked up a high miles (60ish), pdk 2.7 on 25k! :) 

IMO 986 prices have bottomed out, and and over the next few years will start to increase like the 996 Carrera.

Always happens when cars get to this age - they become very cheap, then fall into the wrong hands and get poorly maintained. The few good ones left on the market become expensive.

I've been watching prices of late and really think certain low milers and late ones are commanding more than they were a couple of years ago.

I think they may eventually go the same way as the mk1 MX5..... they are seriously pricey for an unmolested examole in good nick now

On 16/03/2017 at 11:29 AM, Southy said:

Interesting read, they won't rise like the 911 though, the Boxster is just like the 924/944, it's not even akin to the 968 and 928 which were made in lesser numbers.

I think prices will level out or they may have already, I could sell my car for more than I paid for it two and half years ago, it was partly a good deal and partly prices have held up a little.

According to one article about 20 to 30 Porsche boxes a year disappear from our roads and end up on the race  track ...  maybe less that are out there the price may go up, Stranger things have happened ..look  at some of the cars from the 80s that you really wouldn't have thought would be worth there price tag now..

• 1 month later...
On 4 de enero de 2018 at 1:23 PM, el 3.2S said:

I was back at the dealer today picking up a pair of nipples (for my brakes). Amazingly, they do not keep them in stock and have to order them in! Whilst there, I noticed a big "Sold" sign on the €24k Boxster. They seem to be getting more retro these days and now have a 993 cabrio for sale in the showroom. Did not see a price on that one.....

On 15/02/2018 at 9:47 PM, mikefocke said:

Or could it be a clever marketing ploy to help sell new cars.  See, the depreciation really isn't so bad so buy this new one and keep it a few years and you too can ...

Wot he said ?

On 15/02/2018 at 9:47 PM, mikefocke said:

Or could it be a clever marketing ploy to help sell new cars.  See, the depreciation really isn't so bad so buy this new one and keep it a few years and you too can ...

Maybe but someone bought it. And isn’t that how the classic car market sort of works anyway to some degree.

lots of hype, marketing and miss-truths.

ohh so cynical in my grumpy old age, lol.

On 07/11/2017 at 2:17 PM, 911-32 said:

Fair call on the continuing strong demand for 993s - I don't know that market so well.

I disagree somewhat on maintenance.  Price up an engine rebuild on an air cooled now versus 10+ years ago and prices have more than doubled at reputable indies.  And there are waiting lists.  993s will rust just 964s and 3.2s before them in the same places - in the sills from the inside out, for example.  Arch liners etc help, but they are still fundamentally the same chassis.

Annual servicing is cheap until you get the one-off bills that are inevitable with 20+ yr old cars.

I’m sorry but that is a load of rubbish. You have obviously never owned a 993. 

A 993 will not rust in the same places as a 964 or 3.2 and thats a fact. As I’ve already said the only recognized areas of rust are around the front/rear screens and rear chassis legs, save for accident damage. The sills do not rust and to imply they have the same potentially / probable rust issues as a 3.2 is factually incorrect.

I do agree engine rebuilds are more expensive than they where 10 years ago, shockingly so is a loaf of bread !

The 993 engines are considered as bullet proof as any engine ever build. Racing heritage and 40 years of development saw to that. It is one of the single most important reasons that 993’s will always rise in value IMHO alongside rarity compared to the comparatively mass produced numbers of the water cooled cars. The 993 engines can and do regularly run over 250k miles without needing any engine work (in America it is almost the norm). I’ve seen 180k engines stripped just becasue the owner thought it “needed it” but was basically a waste of time. Mine is running more than original spec power (albeit porsche notoriously under stated power with the air cooled cars) and on c70k miles is likely to never ever need any engine work other than normal servicing.

I do thing the original boxsters will follow what has happened to the 996’s after all there are so many similarities. They have bottomed out and it will get rarer to get a good one which will raise slightly in value and then find their level. They however will never see the rises of the air cooled as there will always be too many of them in comparison. Nb the bottom of the market usually is at a level that allows some spend on cars to get them refreshed and then starts to level off at that level.

All in all that should be great news for the boxsters as the market will both allow them to be cheap motoring AND be maintained and driven at a relatively affordable price without the hang ups of increasing mileage but IMHO a boxster will never be an “investment” vehicle.

There will always be those who are an*l about overspending on cars (I fall into that category) but that has nothing to do with what a cars really needs to be maintained and ran and market value so if your that type you can’t equate it to the cars value, the market won’t but those are the types of cars / owners more likely to frequent forums like this ;-)

ps re watches, you are buying the wrong ones, I have never bought a premium watch and lost money. Even my daily beater Daytona is easily worth 20% more than it cost 2.5 years ago (granted I only paid list for it).

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, the baron said:

An interesting article from Hagerty this week, "Five Concept Cars You Can Own Now". The 986 is included in the list: And is predicted to rise.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2017/03/13/concept-cars-you-can-own?

There are thousands of Boxsters out there. I think it is unlikely as huge numbers still exist (Unlike to other cars in the list)
The air cooled 911 are a totally different story

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread as it feels to me that demand, and therefore prices, for decent 986's and 987's especially the .2's are on the up.  Could be time of year or wishful thinking but I do get the feeling more and more people are seeing what great value older Boxsters are right now. 

I have to agree, while we all know that Boxster’s will never demand 911 money there is no doubting the fact that it is a proper bonified Porsche. 

In my opinion I didn’t think the seceret was ever going to stay a secret forever, a proper sports car which can be yours for less than £5,000 and it wears one of the most prestigious badges in the automotive industry. I’ve owned my 986 since January and I’m completely in love with it, it makes driving fun which is more that can be said for my A45 AMG which it replaced. 

Now it has got a SuperSprint exhaust fitted it is a shouty little bugger too, looking forward to refreshing a few suspension components next month plus getting a full geometry done at Centre Gravity after that I’m hoping it will be even better fun to drive. 

Price is inherently linked to value. Will those same people feel the same way when they are looking at cars 20% more in a few months time? 

32 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread as it feels to me that demand, and therefore prices, for decent 986's and 987's especially the .2's are on the up.  Could be time of year or wishful thinking but I do get the feeling more and more people are seeing what great value older Boxsters are right now. 

It's that time of year for sure next few weeks the weather will turn brighter, I was out today and almost every other car was a soft top.

Prices have levelled off for the last few years, you could a 986 for $2k 2 years ago, I'm not seeing these on Auto-trader anymore, well not in numbers.

Here's to another great summer of top down driving :)

I've had my car 4 years in December 2018, and I won't have lost $1 in depreciation, infact I could sell it for $2k more without too much hassle, but I have spent on it ;)

Its interesting this, also I think the 986 and possibly the 987 are also perceived by some to be a bit of a hairdressers car, a bit girly. Not deserved at all in my opinion as most that have this opinion have probably never driven one or really studied the lines of them. I watched a you tube video of Chris Harris (think it was him) testing the 981, and one of his quips was, Is this a car I now would like to be seen in, YES it is says he. Anyway, I am as far removed form a girl as you can get and more like a straight version of the hairdresser on Benidorm. :rolleyes:. Anyone else had this comment about their Boxster or Boxsters in general. ?

No hairdresser comments here. I had a Golf R previously which was bit sterile and artificial sounding (apols to those that now have them) so wanted a fun 2 seater convertible.  Along with the Porsche I looked at the Z4, MX5, SLK and for me the Boxster is the most non hairdresser of them. Plus I think it will hold its value the best, it has the best lines and there is something special about being a Porsche owner.

Archived