Snap up a 986 now before prices go the way of the air cooled 911 according to the Hagerty report

the baron

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, the baron said:

An interesting article from Hagerty this week, "Five Concept Cars You Can Own Now". The 986 is included in the list: And is predicted to rise.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2017/03/13/concept-cars-you-can-own?

Interesting read, they won't rise like the 911 though, the Boxster is just like the 924/944, it's not even akin to the 968 and 928 which were made in lesser numbers.

I think prices will level out or they may have already, I could sell my car for more than I paid for it two and half years ago, it was partly a good deal and partly prices have held up a little.

1 hour ago, Southy said:

Interesting read, they won't rise like the 911 though, the Boxster is just like the 924/944, it's not even akin to the 968 and 928 which were made in lesser numbers.

I think prices will level out or they may have already, I could sell my car for more than I paid for it two and half years ago, it was partly a good deal and partly prices have held up a little.

I agree on both paragraphs here too.

Probably right re volumes but the 924 and 944 were always tarnished by their close association with VW which may also have played a big part in holding down their values.

I'd agree with @Southy prices are probably bottomed/bottoming, especially for good condition ones with service history etc.  

As said air cooled 911 prices are very strong, as such I think 996's are increasing, especially for nice ones, though there's plenty of £10/12k ones on Autotrader (including one with "front and rare break discs" :lol:).  We did consider a 996 Cab before getting another 986 last year, and in the 3/4 months or so we followed the 996 market and nice Cabs were creeping up, albeit in summer. 

This may mean 'sensible' buyers wanting a nice cared for Porsche with service history, but have a budget, may well now be looking at the Boxster, and so prices will start to firm up for those cars.

15 minutes ago, mike597 said:

What is holding the older Boxsters back is the fact they cost near enough 911 money to keep going in good condition. 

It's a good point a 996 C4 wouldn't be much more in running costs than I pay for my 986 but the 996 will always be worth more and the prices are increasing 

2 hours ago, mike597 said:

What is holding the older Boxsters back is the fact they cost near enough 911 money to keep going in good condition. 

IMHO it's this which will ultimately help increase the Boxster's value.  When the maintenance cost to value ratio is poor, cars will be scrapped rather than repaired and maintened. Fewer cars on the road stokes  supply and demand and consequently price.

Unlike earlier 911s (and other makes and models) Boxsters don't have rust helping to decrease their numbers so it'll take longer for the supply side to drop but it will!

All this said I'm still keeping my 84000 mile 2.7 boxster with low milage in the hope that the price of early models go up. I also think they will go up but never as high as an air cooled 911. My thoughts is to buy a 996 as they are the next classic 911 that prices go through the roof. "My next purchase" lol

1 minute ago, Tonybandit said:

All this said I'm still keeping my 84000 mile 2.7 boxster with low milage in the hope that the price of early models go up. I also think they will go up but never as high as an air cooled 911. My thoughts is to buy a 996 as they are the next classic 911 that prices go through the roof. "My next purchase" lol

84,000 miles and low mileage is a bit of an oxymoron isn't it?

Let's face it, if any of us are buying our 986 with the primary focus being investment potential then 1) you wouldn't buy the car you have now 2) your maths is surely bad as the amount you will have undoubtedly reinvested in servicing and parts etc will outstrip any return.

30 minutes ago, edc said:

84,000 miles and low mileage is a bit of an oxymoron isn't it?

Let's face it, if any of us are buying our 986 with the primary focus being investment potential then 1) you wouldn't buy the car you have now 2) your maths is surely bad as the amount you will have undoubtedly reinvested in servicing and parts etc will outstrip any return.

I think most 986 owners will be able to sell their cars for the same as what they've paid for them in the last year for the same money over the next couple of years. If not a smudge more as they've bottomed out and we (enthusiast types) will invest decent money on keeping them tip top. Obviously anything you put into maintaining a car should never be seen as a mark up on the re-sale price. I hate it when I see modified cars with an invoice list of tacky mods and expect them to be added to a base cars value. Doesn't work like that imo. 

3 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

I think most 986 owners will be able to sell their cars for the same as what they've paid for them in the last year for the same money over the next couple of years. If not a smudge more as they've bottomed out and we (enthusiast types) will invest decent money on keeping them tip top. Obviously anything you put into maintaining a car should never be seen as a mark up on the re-sale price. I hate it when I see modified cars with an invoice list of tacky mods and expect them to be added to a base cars value. Doesn't work like that imo. 

That's so true. I've seen so many cars that look like they have just drove through Halford window and sell because other people think they look good. Hahaha. 

1 minute ago, Tonybandit said:

That's so true. I've seen so many cars that look like they have just drove through Halford window and sell because other people think they look good. Hahaha. 

All "mods" are added to the expense and taste of the person fitting them. That shouldn't be transferred to the next potential owner.

Previously I've advertised heavily modified cars with a spec list where all parts are optional. Stock car one price, basic mods (suspension exhaust etc) then extras like spoilers, bucket seats are all subject to if the buy wants them.

Otherwise I've put cars back to standard and sold them for the same price and had a garage full of modifications to sell on.

This chap bought my supercharged Honda for 3 times what I paid for the base car, but he was openly clear the car would be stripped of all mods at his time/expense to basically get the stock car for nothing in the long term. Fine by me as I didn't have to strip the car myself to sell it to him cheaper and have the hassle of selling the modifications myself. 

That car is now a different colour with a different engine too. He didn't lie or hang about!

30 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

There's a difference between an 'enthusiast' and an 'investor' though. The fact many can sell for roughly the same price is a benefit but isn't the main factor in buying the car. I'd argue as well that selling for the same price is not an investment - that's still a loss with whatever on-costs you have in the car over the period :D 

1 hour ago, edc said:

There's a difference between an 'enthusiast' and an 'investor' though. The fact many can sell for roughly the same price is a benefit but isn't the main factor in buying the car. I'd argue as well that selling for the same price is not an investment - that's still a loss with whatever on-costs you have in the car over the period :D 

I wouldn't call running costs a loss. That's like added the cost of fuel for a year to a cars price to sell it to cover expenses. A bit extreme I know, but I consider it similarly. Enthusiasts definitely don't buy to make money, as you say it's a happy convenience if it does happen. Ive been fortunate that I've only sold 2 cars for less than I paid for them in my life. And we're only talking a few hundred quid.

7 hours ago, Boxob said:

Unlike earlier 911s (and other makes and models) Boxsters don't have rust helping to decrease their numbers so it'll take longer for the supply side to drop but it will!

This is a good point.

My car is now 20 years old, and I can't find any rust on it at all.

I think it will be a long time before these cars start getting scrapped due to corrosion issues.

36 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

I wouldn't call running costs a loss. That's like added the cost of fuel for a year to a cars price to sell it to cover expenses. A bit extreme I know, but I consider it similarly. Enthusiasts definitely don't buy to make money, as you say it's a happy convenience if it does happen. Ive been fortunate that I've only sold 2 cars for less than I paid for them in my life. And we're only talking a few hundred quid.

You're thinking like an enthusiast though. Any additional cost after your initial investment eats into your net gain. If your on costs plus initial purchase price are more than your sale price you have made a negative net gain ie a rubbish investment! 

5 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Dear moderators, please can we have an "Air-cooled 911 values" sub-forum? ;)

I'd prefer to just lock all of the threads which even hint at price speculation. <_< It keeps enthusiasts on a budget out of the cars that they probably deserve to experience. 

21 minutes ago, Araf said:

I'd prefer to just lock all of the threads which even hint at price speculation. <_< It keeps enthusiasts on a budget out of the cars that they probably deserve to experience. 

:lol::lol::lol:

To be honest I hope the cars don't go the way of air cooled metal, it will take all the fun out of them, they won't be used the way Porsche intended and will sit in air conditioned garages and only be brought out to be re sold or be displayed at shows.

It's one of the reasons I bought my Boxster, it's cheap and fun and puts a smile on my face and I don't worry about driving it in any weather conditions or leaving it in the street while I go shopping.

Keep your 986 fried-eggs, soon they will be worth refitting for that LEFT THE FACTORY look.

Should add -£0.50 to the price.

Interesting to see what EXTRAS really add/detract from real values.

I am tempted to side with Jason.

Archived