A 986 Obituary

Topbox

My 54000 miles 16 year old 986 broke its engine on the turn of the ignition key. An inspection by my local respected independent revealed, finally, that the number two piston had clattered the exhaust valves. This could be fixed but as it's an engine out, strip down job to do so, it is uneconomical and frankly, for me, an undesirable proposition to do so. Nor do I wish to entertain the alternative of a reconditioned engine at well north of  £4500. I guess the car goes for salvage.

I had met  several other forum members for breakfast a couple of Sundays ago, returned home after a short drive thereafter, switched off at home while I opened the garage door and briefly chatted to a neighbour. Jumped in, switched on, engine started straight away but  was making a bit of a clatter, running rough and the CEL came on. I was not to alarmed, thought the noise was a symptom of the  rough running or that a lifter or two was sticking, maybe a coil pack had gone.

The car was booked in for a service, so it sat for a couple of weeks until its appointment with my Indy and in the mean time @Gutley did a code check for me which indicated misfires on bank one. The Indy identified the same issues and after due investigation concluded the variable timing solenoid was most likely the problem. Replaced the solenoid, misfires and noise remained, so out came the plugs and a camera  into the cylinders revealed the damage described above. What happened to cause the damage exactly will remain a mystery as the engine would need to be stripped to find out. The best guess from several heads  seems to be the timing chain jumped a tooth or two, or just possibly the IMS, however I had that upgraded when I purchased the car 4 and half years ago, when it had covered a mere 19000 miles. Plus IMS failure seems to do a lot more damage, my engine still runs quite well with some revs on. So that's that, quite a shock I can tell you. Once it had been serviced, it was going up for sale. It would have been a dire situation had I sold it to a forum member and this occurred. At this point I have to say that this case  supports those who prefer a car that has seen consistent use throughout its life. Well used and well maintained seems to suit Boxsters, but the reality is "you never can tell" and old Chuck Berry liked a car or two. I have been very unlucky. I hope i have not increased the paranoia of 986 owners. 

The indy was able to report that the engine had run for just a shade under 2000 hours and had one over rev recorded at around 250 hours which calculates as well before my ownership. I have absolutely no regrets about purchasing the car it has given enormous pleasure and fun.  BoXa net and the friends made is a huge, unexpected bonus of ownership, thanks. Yes, of course I'm going to buy another Boxster, Scotland and Switzerland are all booked. I must acknowledge the kind help from @Richard Hamilton who, in my moment of crisis, quickly responded to my cry of help for information  and perspective.  Now, a nice excuse to post a few favourite snaps  a few of you have had GK in their rear views . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Y6HKk5y.jpg

JjWTdoZ.jpg

kdgQ14c.jpg

eZ5IYGK.jpg

NWEGR1L.jpg

The above was at Fairoaks airfield, Surrey in January 2015 - first BoXa meet I attended, a couple of months after buying the car

7vliugM.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already knew of the predicament, but it still saddens me to think this car won't be seen on the road again. Hopefully someone can take this as a project car and resurrect it in due course. If not, then may it live on as a donor for many others. Will be on the lookup for a Meridian Silver panel on an otherwise 'normal' silver car.

Good luck with the search for a replacement Bob.

Sorry to hear this Bob, nice write up. I hope you get back in the saddle soon.

Good luck with hunting down your next one! I truly hope you get out of the new car the enjoyment you clearly got from your current one.

20 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Gutted to read this mate, really am.

Are you hoping to have a replacement in time for Scotland?

It would be nice but if not I shall still come anyway and ride shotgun with others, I have had a couple of offers 😁

@Topbox genuinely saddened to read this. Have been where you are (more than once) and it’s rubbish. 

All the very best with finding another - they are, as I’ve discovered, seriously addictive. 

map

6 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

sad news Bob....there's always a passenger seat in mine to/around Scotland if that's what's needed :)

Plus you will be able to drive it back, @Stuart21UK will be in no fit state after Lynn has had a chat with him.🤣

So sorry to read this!

When you get your new ride we should arrange another meet at Fairoaks in honour of your old and new ride.

So sorry to read this Bob.

Good luck with the search.

You have already ridden shotgun in mine, happy to have you as passenger anytime.

Archived