A 986 Obituary

Topbox

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a shame. Hope you can get something back from it for the next one. 

Bob.  Out of curiosity,  was the other cylinders checked on that side.  If your timing had jumped, you'd of damaged all 3 cylinders/valves.  If they are ok , it sounds like a valve spring has gone.  Similar problem I had (round 2)

Phill

Ah discussed in PM’s, what a nightmare, and a position I was also in 18 months ago when my 986 went: knock knock whos’s there? Engine failure, thats who! 

It is a stunning colour and low mileage example. I would expect you to get best part of £3k as it is cash money.

Best of luck sourcing the replacement car and like me, it hasn’t put you off Boxster ownership in the slightest!

So sorry to hear another may visit the big man in the sky.

Next purchase has to be a base model pre 2001 with the duel row IMS, mines just ticked over 200,000, you won’t worry about racking up the mileage.

Just reading this Bob …… damn I so hope you find a replacement 

Si

Having driven alongside GK, I am saddened to hear of it’s demise Bob.

Good luck with the search and hope to see you in a .2 very very soon.

As discussed on the phone, I know this was a shock to you and very sad news to me. Having followed or lead you round europe for many miles, I always thought what a great car it was & how it could have lasted you forever which I know was making your next upgrade a really difficult choice. 

I hope you find the car you want, no rush though as we can happily be your chauffer for Scotland & Turweston. It should allow you to focus on the photography for Scotland and get some great action shots whilst we are driving 😀

cheers

Tony

1 minute ago, tony_zx9r said:

As discussed on the phone, I know this was a shock to you and very sad news to me. Having followed or lead you round europe for many miles, I always thought what a great car it was & how it could have lasted you forever which I know was making your next upgrade a really difficult choice. 

I hope you find the car you want, no rush though as we can happily be your chauffer for Scotland & Turweston. It should allow you to focus on the photography for Scotland and get some great action shots whilst we are driving 😀

cheers

Tony

Nothing better than a Boxster enthusiast in the passenger seat, armed with a DSLR. 

Oh dear Bob I am sorry to hear this, and you must be gutted. Although you were already looking around for a replacement, I know you were very attached to that car and wouldn't have wanted it to end like this. Honourably, though, you see it as a blessing that it happened this way rather than after you'd sold it on to someone else - not everyone would have been so principled. I hope you can get a decent amount for it as salvage or whatever to put towards your next one.

I will miss seeing that purply-silver classic out on our drives, and I hope that you are able to find a decent replacement in time for the trip where taking a passenger seat in another car won't really be an option!

I can only echo what others have said, hope you get another to love very soon.  It looks a lovely car and I agree with those who think it's a shame if it isn't repaired, if not by you maybe a project for someone else.  Rebuilt it could still be someones P&J in another 16 years.  I understand your decision though, if you were planning an upgrade you would never get your money back.  Good luck and enjoy your search for your next car!

Archived