A 986 Obituary

Topbox

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So sorry to read this Bob ,i feel your pain chap I know exactly how you feel...…. I do hope your back in the saddle soon

Si

3 hours ago, Sanky said:

Gutted for you, often thought what route I would take if my IMS let go or something like this.

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments on this rather self indulgent cathartic post, it has been enjoyable to read them, thanks.

I am working through various options and looking at 987.2 's.  I decided to cut back on budget as clearly I am taking a hit on the 986 one way or another. I was going to buy a 987.2 and keep my 986 for a while unless I got an offer I could not refuse, but given the situation I feel the need to cut back, some weird anti man maths. The engine runs, so the damage is not so serious, however until the engine is stripped costs are difficult to assess. Best guess now is a malfunction with the valve gear on pot 2 which caused the exhaust valves to stick open. The timing has been checked and its spot on so no chain slip.  @Ninja02 had something similar happen to his 986 just weeks after purchase. He is a Ninja, as he was clever enough to rebuild his own engine. A nice car fetches about 2k salvage, repairs are around 4k with someone good who I trust, value 5k WBAC  5.5 to 6.5K on a trade, best on a private, well I would bite a hand off for 7k, opinions may differ but I will work off my own thanks! A thousand pounds better off to repair over salvage, if all goes well. No right or wrong here of course but I thought I would post about the situation so others can have half a plan if the worst should happen, which I think you should, although the chances are very much it will not. If I don't keep the car on the road, I hope to find someone who will. Many good memories !

I agree with your sentiment and maths..... good luck mate 👍

15 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments on this rather self indulgent cathartic post, it has been enjoyable to read them, thanks.

I am working through various options and looking at 987.2 's.  I decided to cut back on budget as clearly I am taking a hit on the 986 one way or another. I was going to buy a 987.2 and keep my 986 for a while unless I got an offer I could not refuse, but given the situation I feel the need to cut back, some weird anti man maths. The engine runs, so the damage is not so serious, however until the engine is stripped costs are difficult to assess. Best guess now is a malfunction with the valve gear on pot 2 which caused the exhaust valves to stick open. The timing has been checked and its spot on so no chain slip.  @Ninja02 had something similar happen to his 986 just weeks after purchase. He is a Ninja, as he was clever enough to rebuild his own engine. A nice car fetches about 2k salvage, repairs are around 4k with someone good who I trust, value 5k WBAC  5.5 to 6.5K on a trade, best on a private, well I would bite a hand off for 7k, opinions may differ but I will work off my own thanks! A thousand pounds better off to repair over salvage, if all goes well. No right or wrong here of course but I thought I would post about the situation so others can have half a plan if the worst should happen, which I think you should, although the chances are very much it will not. If I don't keep the car on the road, I hope to find someone who will. Many good memories !

So are you valuing your car at £2k In its current state?  Think it would fetch a lot more then that.  Seen the light tronics go for nearly half that on there own.

With your fault think I would throw £500 to find the route cause.  If it’s a cheapish fix, you win.  If not back to plan A and scrap.

Personally I would do what Sanky suggests and spend money to identify the actual root cause and go from there.

I don't know what you paid for your car Bob or how log you've had it  but I work on the basis if mine blows within the first two years I'm out of pocket if it doesn't :bana: happy days as my theory is you can loose equivalent value of these cars in depreciation on something newer over this period. Not sure if that makes you feel any better but helps my man maths and will help me cope if mine blows.....

Personally, I'd fit the engine, as its only a bent valve,  mega easy, and not big money to sort. I know someone who can sort it for you, and not charge big money. and he is a pro at building Porsche engines.

or another option, I have a very very nice Cayman S for sale, and I'd take your car in part ex :)

@Topbox Bob like everyone on here I was sad to read your news. Everyone has expressed their feelings better than i can so I'll just day that I know one way or another you will be behind a Boxster again I'm sure.

See you in Scotland 

I think because everything is sound about the motor it's worth spending a small tad to get fixed or resolution" plus it still starts definetly wants investigating?

Hey Bob,

Love the fact you are so sanguine about one of life’s hiccups. 

Great opportunity to experiment with a new car and a different kind of ownership history/future.

These questions spring to mind:

With the hindsight you now have, what is you criteria for the next Boxster? 

How big a part will mileage play in your buying decision?

I have 173k on my 2.7 and every so often get a misfire on bank one also, maybe 2 times in 1000 miles. I’ve not been overly concerned as she drives spot on around this. That said, I’ve got in mind, that nothing lasts for ever and I would rather transplant new life into my old dog than breed a new puppy. 

Thanks for the insight into one man’s experience and I look forward to meeting your replacement soon👍

I expect exemplary beading Bob! 

1 hour ago, Loz987 said:

Hey Bob,

Love the fact you are so sanguine about one of life’s hiccups. 

Great opportunity to experiment with a new car and a different kind of ownership history/future.

These questions spring to mind:

With the hindsight you now have, what is you criteria for the next Boxster? 

How big a part will mileage play in your buying decision?

I have 173k on my 2.7 and every so often get a misfire on bank one also, maybe 2 times in 1000 miles. I’ve not been overly concerned as she drives spot on around this. That said, I’ve got in mind, that nothing lasts for ever and I would rather transplant new life into my old dog than breed a new puppy. 

Thanks for the insight into one man’s experience and I look forward to meeting your replacement soon👍

I expect exemplary beading Bob! 

Thanks Loz .  Over the year my attitude to milage has changed and this event is further evidence that regular use with good maintainance is consistant with long term reliability. The second owner of mine did barely 1000 miles a year for 9 years and most likely never changed the oil. You pay your money . . . .This perfectly echos a point @Nobbie made very recently in a post somewhere about the potential issues with low milers. I think circumstance, use, likely risks, and attitude to risk, influence how and what you buy. Cant see me buying a 150,000 mile   Boxster in the next few weeks but as a fun daily in 3 or 4 years its not out of the question. I will post news on replacements, repairs and the thought processes . As for beading I may adopt the  'au natural' look, well, on the roof anyway, to compliment other refreshed stratagies.

There's a guy near me in Milton Keynes could look at it and do the work. He does a lot of Porsche. Ferrari, Aston etc and charges £50 hr +vat (last year , may have gone up slightly) for labour and isn't a rip off merchant.

He bought a garage out and his previous customers followed him. One of his techs is ex OPC as well. Had a Turbo in for an engine rebuild, a C2S for service work and others I can't recall when I was last there.

His place looks a bit rough and ready from the outside but does good work and has all the necessary gear, even offered a lend of cam locking tools to me when I was doing the work on my Boxster.

Unless you really want a different car, time to rebuild the engine.  If it runs it isn't a catastrophic failure like IMS.  It is localised at best to one cylinder, at worst one bank if there is head or bore damage.  Main thing is getting someone you would trust to do the work and judging by this thread there are some solid recommendations.  Ask for customer recommendation for similar work as an insurance policy.  Must be someone in the Home Counties who can do this plus to an extent you get rid of the possible neglect in the low mileage years giving more peace of mind.  I bought mine last year with 90k miles on it but only did 9k miles in the 7 years before I got it but I have a record of an oil change at least every year in that time.  Hope mine doesn't got the same way but I bought a 986 Boxster S to 'tinker' with not a 987 or whatever newer variant; I imagine you did the same originally.

Terribly tough luck, I hope it can be sorted.

As stated above, given it’s a car you are fond of and the fact it does look localised then it’s got to be worth some investigation into fix options. If it is just a valve spring say and maybe a bent valve with no piston or cylinder damage then a fix shouldn’t be too expensive.

Archived