Research info - trying to get into a 987

Dubdubz

I wanted to check it as on paper it had what I wanted , black and black, heated seats.

it needs the roof sorting - think it’s needs cables or tightening, but there was a stray nylon bit too that had come adrift, I could feel minor vibration in the steering, again not major. It’s had a couple of very very very light knocks, hardly there but paint is slightly hair lined in on the rear corner, and only in the right light

heated seats were not working, car had been sat for a bit (which I think is true) and is slow to start, air con was cold but not Ice cold

one of the keys doesn’t have a blade

it was also at the top end of my mileage mental limit

I was hoping it would be ok, and actually it was ok. Just not good enough which ultimately means spending more loot....I reckon 3k more loot easily

on the plus side - not fussed about heated seats anymore or Bose or pcm nav

the recent 2007 had the right level of wear body/interior but had crud service. These are  circa 10k for a reason. It is a learning experience and thank you for your assistance 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With spring approaching, they aren’t going to get much cheaper, the window is getting smaller. Not saying to accept something that isn’t right, but be aware that cars will start moving quicker very soon so be ready to move when they come up.

2 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

I wanted to check it as on paper it had what I wanted , black and black, heated seats.

it needs the roof sorting - think it’s needs cables or tightening, but there was a stray nylon bit too that had come adrift, I could feel minor vibration in the steering, again not major. It’s had a couple of very very very light knocks, hardly there but paint is slightly hair lined in on the rear corner, and only in the right light

heated seats were not working, car had been sat for a bit (which I think is true) and is slow to start, air con was cold but not Ice cold

one of the keys doesn’t have a blade

it was also at the top end of my mileage mental limit

I was hoping it would be ok, and actually it was ok. Just not good enough which ultimately means spending more loot....I reckon 3k more loot easily

on the plus side - not fussed about heated seats anymore or Bose or pcm nav

Ok, quite a bit there tbh, but it's giving you an idea of what you can get for your budget. 

As I say for the price which was sticker so I would guess some movement.. let’s guess 8200 ... that’s a lot of car and with a few weekends feeling and sourcing the odd part....it would a very presentable thing.

it goes well (has some race chip selector wheel thing) and it was very quick.. felt quicker than others I have driven (4 to date)

I do now know I’m after a bit more, and a quick verification search has turned up at least 4 at 12k some with 50k miles....

5 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Mmmm, within 12 hours drive of Peterborough then..............

Lol...at least it’ll shut me up...well until I start in the tech section wanting to know how to do X

actually credit to the active members on this thread, a lot of what you have said is with much wisdom. I own a 68 vw camper and the forum guys on there offer a ‘go along and be a guiding light’ service some do it for the love and some do it for a small fee

perhaps something members on here could offer? Especially as cars are really good cars are not plentiful...

anyway I realise in my giddy excitement not all boxes are ticked (or mentioned) 🤨

@Scubaregs is there DM on here? I’d be keen to share...

48 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

@Scubaregs is there DM on here? I’d be keen to share...

Yep. Click on the top right menu.  Then select the envelope and ‘Compose New’. As you type a forum name in the ‘To’ field it will auto complete for you.  

On 3/16/2019 at 10:20 AM, Dubdubz said:

8 - 14 for the right car...

was trying to keep under 85k miles but that seems like a ‘mental thing’ than being logically founded....

has to be black or dark grey, heated leather black , manual, service history

loads seem not to have heated seats?

Sorry, only just picked up on this thread.  I would have thought that £14k is well into 987.2 territory.  Don't be put off by mileage.  My current 987.2 is on 93k and is still a tight car.  The last one has passed through two other forum members and is still tight at over 115k miles.  Porsche warranty to 125k miles or 15 years so they must be confident of the product. :) 

How about this one?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808119391144?make=PORSCHE&advertising-location=at_cars&model=BOXSTER&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&postcode=ct179eq&keywords=2.9&radius=1500&page=1

For the record, regarding tax

987 2.7 were in the high tax band between the end of March 2006 and September 2006 when the revised engine was used. Even then, it was only the 5 speed that scraped back under the top band of tax.  6 speed (optional) and Tiptronic were still in the higher tax band.

1 hour ago, Araf said:

Sorry, only just picked up on this thread.  I would have thought that £14k is well into 987.2 territory.  Don't be put off by mileage.  My current 987.2 is on 93k and is still a tight car.  The last one has passed through two other forum members and is still tight at over 115k miles.  Porsche warranty to 125k miles or 15 years so they must be confident of the product. :) 

How about this one?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808119391144?make=PORSCHE&advertising-location=at_cars&model=BOXSTER&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&postcode=ct179eq&keywords=2.9&radius=1500&page=1

Thanks Araf, 14 is top top end, and leaves me with no money for tweaks or maint...and therefore 11-12 seems to be my sweet spot

although that one, which didn’t appear in my searches oddly is very nice....👍

4 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Looks very nice indeed.

It’s a great car (I think)

low miles, great tyres, heated seats...it’s been looked after, has a 3m wrap protection on it

not much off sticker, but it will be serviced. They might not know that it’s a major one 🤪😂🤪

made it part of sale!

1 hour ago, Dubdubz said:

That’s my mission starting tomorrow....via email....😀

Look up the major service items on the Porsche site and send that through. 

Although there are other items that are not  part of the service that you might want to check for. Thinking plugs, drive belt, gearbox oil change ( 12 years ), engine air filter (6 years ) 

ask for it all and take what you get 

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

Look up the major service items on the Porsche site and send that through. 

Although there are other items that are not  part of the service that you might want to check for. Thinking plugs, drive belt, gearbox oil change ( 12 years ), engine air filter (6 years ) 

ask for it all and take what you get 

Do you have a link at all? It’s done 53k so I think it’s coming up to a 12yr possibly?

i have to be realistic it is at a Toyota garage..

Anyone can change the gearbox oil. It's just a moderate pain to do so because they have to remove the covers. Ensure they do it. I'm getting mine done and it's costing 50 quid in labour plus vat plus the oil from a reputable Indy. Insist it's done, they won't say no and risk losing the sale. 

In_dellible, I saw the lead log tonight when my haggling was going south! I said prove it they had 18 people, 3 ready to ring and had said they’d leave holding deposit. They think and I agree it’d sell quick, if I bailed.

so gbox oil and check possible replace aux belts + norm service?

Archived