Help! - Falling out of love with the Boxster S

Rav

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Interesting, I was only looking for a different engine configuration from what I'd had before and S4 was an option being V8 sports saloon, so if suspension is rather firm (like a lot of modern cars - big rims and stiff side walls) glad I went flat 6 sports car route 😀 

That said I wouldn't chose to commute in congestion in a Boxster.

Actually, our S4 is a twin turbo V6 I think 

Sorry but if you don't put the roof down on a day like yesterday because it's "too noisy" and "too hot" then you have REALLY bought the wrong car and top-down motoring is not for you sir. 

Coincidentally i had the day off as well yesterday and spent it swanning around the south-east coast/Kent with missus in tow roof down the entire day, 21 degrees with the roof down yesterday was bliss. It's either something you like or don't i'm afraid and it looks like topless life just isn't your bag. . 

As above, sounds like it's just doesn't suit your lifestyle at the moment. I had a Spitfire and it was great when I had a 3 mile drive to work and would pop home at lunch just for the drive on sunny days. When I moved up here I just didn't have a use for it and it became an overhead and I was mightily relieved to sell it. Just get rid while the sun is shining and there are plenty of buyers around.

5 hours ago, That986 said:

Sorry but if you don't put the roof down on a day like yesterday because it's "too noisy" and "too hot" then you have REALLY bought the wrong car and top-down motoring is not for you sir. 

Coincidentally i had the day off as well yesterday and spent it swanning around the south-east coast/Kent with missus in tow roof down the entire day, 21 degrees with the roof down yesterday was bliss. It's either something you like or don't i'm afraid and it looks like topless life just isn't your bag. . 

Not sure he's bought the wrong, it can be too hot with the roof down sometimes, I'm not sure of the temps in the OP's area yesterday, but I remember last year when it was silly hot and sat in stationary traffic at 30 odd degree's was unpleasant

7 hours ago, toplad said:

Actually, our S4 is a twin turbo V6 I think 

Out of my budget range then.. Besides I've had a V6 before (and in-line 4, flat 4, in-line 6) so wouldn't have met the brief. I did even briefly consider a rotary 😵

Thanks all - some quite 'to the point' responses and a few nice responses.

The noise i mentioned was the drone of the standard exhaust, tyre noise and the wind for 2.5 hours on the M5 motorway. Its particularly bad when cruising at speeds of 80 - 90 (km/h officer). It was quite hot yesterday, the car showed 22 degrees in the traffic around Birmingham and the Oldbury viaduct roadworks.

The comment about wrong car days was great - thanks for that. I think it might have been just that, the wrong car for that day.

I will continue to use the car when i can and see how i get on.

Ironically - I was saving for a Ferarri 355 back in the day and my Nokia stock options were valued at the right amount. I was in (and still am) love with the 355. By the time vesting these shares, Nokia was on hte down turn and I couldnt afford a wheel for the 355.

Rav, a stock exhaust shouldn't drone. I regularly use mine on the motorway and cruise at similar speeds to you.

The exhaust is fine and yes, there is some tyre noise, but nothing excessive. In fact, with the roof up, I find it a relaxing place to be on the motorway at 0.9 leptons.

What tyres do you have? Are these perhaps a little old / past it?

I don't commute by car as much as I used to, but I'd used to have a 70 mile round trip. Unless it was torrential rain, or snow, my previous 986 was the weapon of choice.

Stock exhaust should be near silent at sensible cruising speeds. Maybe it’s on it’s way out, or it’s infact not entirely stock? Even my aftermarket system doesn’t drone and that’s noisy ish when you stomp the right pedal.

I think your attitude and inclination have changed? I have no problem enjoying  a 6  hour blast , get out no problem at all and thouroghly enjoyed, ...not for you any longer it sounds? If you are sort of trying to ensure that you are doing the right thing by testing other people's experience of owning these vehicles I'm afraid old bean that it's your own decision  , because on here we only get fed up with weather and speed cameras!!!! Good luck with your sale or just adjust your mojo !! ( or seat)

46 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

What tyres do you have? Are these perhaps a little old / past it?

I'd agree with all of K.I.T.T.'s post (not that surprising,  really :)) But particularly good point about the tyres, as depending on the make they can get very noisy as they get old. I recently booked Mrs61's Audi in to the dealers, convinced that a wheel bearing was on the way out, only to realise he day before it went in that it was simply the old tyres making far more noise than when they were new - I had never realised it could make that much difference.

To be fair, I think the problem may be the Alpina.... they are just too good!!

i remember one of the reasons I sold an mx5 very soon after buying (it was the enthusiasts choice mk1 too) was that my daily driver Alpina was better in every way bar the soft top!

2 hours ago, Rav said:

Thanks all - some quite 'to the point' responses and a few nice responses.

The noise i mentioned was the drone of the standard exhaust, tyre noise and the wind for 2.5 hours on the M5 motorway. Its particularly bad when cruising at speeds of 80 - 90 (km/h officer). It was quite hot yesterday, the car showed 22 degrees in the traffic around Birmingham and the Oldbury viaduct roadworks.

The comment about wrong car days was great - thanks for that. I think it might have been just that, the wrong car for that day.

I will continue to use the car when i can and see how i get on.

Ironically - I was saving for a Ferarri 355 back in the day and my Nokia stock options were valued at the right amount. I was in (and still am) love with the 355. By the time vesting these shares, Nokia was on hte down turn and I couldnt afford a wheel for the 355.

I owned a 355 for a year, if you hate the Boxster I don’t think you will fair much better in the 355 as a road/commute car, great track car though.

My commute went from 7 minutes to about 50 over the same route in the stretch of ten years.. More people = congestion. I borrowed my wife's automatic trans car for a few days and realized I was more relaxed when I got home. Thus both my Boxsters were tips as more appropriate for that sort of route. Loved them. Then I retired, moved to a place where I was always juggling cars in and out of a single driveway (I had two driveways while working). When I realized I had put less that 1k km on the car in a year I knew it was time for someone else to enjoy the car. But even commuting in congested traffic I loved the Boxsters.

12 hours ago, toplad said:

Not sure he's bought the wrong, it can be too hot with the roof down sometimes, I'm not sure of the temps in the OP's area yesterday, but I remember last year when it was silly hot and sat in stationary traffic at 30 odd degree's was unpleasant

Sorry but we're going to have to agree to disagree here. If you don't put the roof down and enjoy the world around you when you have barely 20 degree weather like we had this week then you have bought the wrong car and i would suggest looking at a Cayman, automatic if you must. 

But i do agree that when the temperature rises up into the 30s then yes it can be uncomfortable. When i went to Le Mans in 2017 it happened to be that heatwave week, 35 degrees plus every day. We travelled across to Reims after the race and yes i had the top up, aircon on all the way just for a break from the heat but that was exceptional circumstances and we had a 5 hour drive to do. The rest of the week was spent top down, wind in the hair and how glorious it was. 

I said it before and you're either a roof-down guy or not. If you are it will be down every opportunity you get because for me personally there's nothing better than looking up, seeing a big sky above you and smelling the world around you as good/bad that is. 

6 hours ago, That986 said:

If you don't put the roof down and enjoy the world around you when you have barely 20 degree weather like we had this week then you have bought the wrong car and i would suggest looking at a Cayman

Na, save your dosh and stick a hardtop on all year round. 

I actually know of a couple of people that do this :)

9 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Na, save your dosh and stick a hardtop on all year round. 

I actually know of a couple of people that do this :)

I'd rather have the car that was designed to have that kind of roof, but each to their own i suppose.

1 minute ago, That986 said:

I'd rather have the car that was designed to have that kind of roof, but each to their own i suppose.

I agree, but the value of the Boxster is hard to ignore. 

16 hours ago, the baron said:

I owned a 355 for a year, if you hate the Boxster I don’t think you will fair much better in the 355 as a road/commute car, great track car though.

My respect grows every day   :worship:

Right car, wrong car.  If they were all the same it would be a poorer world.  After owning Imprezas (far more practical an flexible) for 12 years as my only car I did miss them but was also glad of a change.  I did compromise and get a 5 door latterly to help life style requirements with the family.  Now I can have two cars (Company car is a SEAT Leon estate 1.5TSI DSG) as others have said it is easier to get the right car for the right journey.  Still I'm sure in 2 weeks there will be moments when we're driving in France that I wish I has the Seat and not the Boxster.  I remember my 'Lottery' garage back in the 90s was an RS6, a DB7 convertible and a Range Rover.  You could still pick the wrong one.

We're all different

Cars are all different

Journeys are all different

Ok - thread update. I have taken a big leap and am currently typing this message from a Holiday inn on the outskirts of Stuttgart. I am going to visit the Porsche Museum tomorrow to see if i can get the Porsche mojo back. I have seen a fair few 986s around the suburb i am staying in. They do look so cool with German plates on. 

I am currently out her on business, but will take out a couple of hours to see the new museum. I visited the old place about 20 years ago and stayed until way past closing time. 

I will keep you up to date.

Glad you’re trying to ignite the flame 😂

If it makes you feel any better you wouldn’t want to be stuck in traffic in a F355 either. You need a clutch leg like an Olympic sprinter and the drone off the exhaust would be ear melting 😎 But they awesome cars when you use them as intended I recommend anyone who gets the chance to drive or own one jump at the chance 👍

25086069073_b012d3b165_b.jpg

This one was my dads a few years ago, luckily I used to borrow it 👌

Archived