Help! - Falling out of love with the Boxster S

Rav

Help! I am falling out of love with the Boxster S.

I have changed job role recently which now means that I am driving around the country a little more. I normally take my Alpina B3 - waft down and waft back. 

I took the Boxster S yesterday for a trip to Westfield in Kingswineford. The journey up was in traffic and the clutch operation was tiring. I traveled at circa the speed limit and the noise was extreme even with the roof up. It was a hot day, but too hot to have the roof down, which would have been too noisy anyway....

Very normal cars like Hyundai's and Kia's passed me regularly, like i was going backwards, which in itself is not anything to be concerned about, but my car is built for speed. 

When i completed the days driving, i was in pain. I found it painful to get out the car and my back is still in agony a day after the driving. 

Perhaps i am getting old and have used the car for the wrong journey, but i am trying to convince myself that the car is worth having in my stable. I don't have free days to go driving at early mornings on Welsh country roads the car must fit in with my lifestyle. 

Perhaps I have been spoilt by my 300bhp Alpina that just does what i tell it too...

Please help.....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sell it and move into Alpina land .... It's not for everyone . 

Mine is for special trips and weekend fun, so fits the bill perfectly

A few of us with second cars only do 2-3k per year (sadly) as that's our lifestyles. Your My Ride says you have the A6, the Alpina and the Boxster, so three cars. Use each as it should be used.

Does clutch need changing?  Is seat really correctly adjusted (for many it isn't  - find a decent youtube vid).

A 987 is always considered less raw / more "refined" than a 986, not sure if you can afford one. I drove mine for 7 hours on a motorway and got out relatively fresh.

Some thoughts.

1 hour ago, Rav said:

Very normal cars like Hyundai's and Kia's passed me regularly, like i was going backwards, which in itself is not anything to be concerned about, but my car is built for speed.

Try driving a 2.5! On track (where you are mostly at or above 4k RPM) it is great but on the road where you are trying to pass 40mph dawdlers in those same turbocharged Hyundais and Kias it can be hard work.

Unless you have access to good, windy roads, at a quiet time of day (I like to go out after the kids have gone to bed), the Boxster simply feels like an old car from a different era. For everyday driving, the truth (regardless of what people of Pistonheads would have you believe) is that modern cars are really rather good. My main car is a Petrol Jaguar XE and it is comfortable, handles well, and has loads of torque from 2k RPM upwards. Yes it is a bit sanitised compared to the Boxster but on the A40 during rush hour, driving satisfaction is pretty much non-existent in any car.

If you want to use a Boxster for that sort of journey, you need a Tip or PDK.

Keep it for weekend fun. :)

The traffic round by Westfield is always bad so I feel you’re pain and I to used to get out of my 986 aching after a decent drive. I think you may have to consider a 987. The driving position is much more comfortable and I never ache anymore.

As for the clutch it was very user friendly in my 987.1 but my PDK 987.2 is much easier in heavy traffic 👍

My Boxster is a 2002 2.3 S which I’ve owned since 2010 my previous car was a 1978 Ferrari 308 GTS carburettor car. I had that car for 18 years and got fed up with bills ! I drove to Italy and back touring all round took me a month no problems fuel worked out an average of 23 miles to the gallon that was in the year 2000. Clutch operation on a 308 is extremely heavy especially in towns.

Getting back to the Boxster I don’t find the clutch operation heavy at all. As a previous posts have said I only use it weekends and in fine weather. When I bought the car it had 32K and now some 9 years later it has 43K. My every day car I use with the wife now that I'm retired is an Audi A4 2.0 TDI a 2010 model.

I love driving the Boxster it’s very sure footed, other that buying new key transponders, tyres  and a alternator it’s been very reliable.

Regards,

Martin

I keep the Porsche for weekend fun or “the long way to the shops out of town” driving. A manual older Boxster just isnt the perfect traffic crawler. It can do the job, but other cars do it better. It may be the wrong car for you right now, but if funds allow, keep it for special occasions and run the barge for the weekly business stuff

When I first got a Boxster my commute was up the M3 to Sunbury. I had a company car but would drive the Boxster on a half day Friday in the summer. Then I got a C55 as I got a new job in London with no company car and my Boxster rarely got used in the week as I also had a moped to get to the station. A couple more years later the C55 is gone and a couple of other dailies have been and past and the Boxster only gets used at weekends or days off. I won't bother for a boring slog of a journey though. For the last year my commute is M3, M25, M4 with occasional M23 instead so again wouldnt bother using the Boxster for that journey either! I would still keep it if you can afford it though and have the space. Overall cost of ownership is quite low and it gives you something different on your fleet. 

In my experience, getting the perfect seat position in a 986 is a bit of a black art, and it can be worth experimenting with different amounts of legroom and back angle - sometimes what I expected to be most comfortable wasn't.

Having driven 986's (both manuals) for 18 years, I found them fine as both an everyday commuting car or a long distance tourer, but I accept that not everyone feels like that. The one aspect of the OP's description that I couldn't really relate to though was the comment about the noise - I wonder if either something is amiss, or if your discomfort is aggravating a general displeasure with the car - I don't think a well-running Boxster should be unpleasantly noisy.

Any 'focused' car can feel tiresome used in the way you describe. 

I really enjoyed driving the 987 everyday day, but we have a second car. An Audi S4 it munches great distances in relative (suspension a bit firm) comfort. 

Boxster is best enjoyed on the open road, it's too compromised for nose to tail traffic day in day out, just feels rough 

21 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

In my experience, getting the perfect seat position in a 986 is a bit of a black art, and it can be worth experimenting with different amounts of legroom and back angle - sometimes what I expected to be most comfortable wasn't.

I totally agree with Jon on this. It takes ages to be happy with my seat position then 8 have to take it to a garage for not or what ever and as soon as I sit in it I know I'm back to stage one of trying to get it so I'm happy again.

10 hours ago, Rav said:

Help! I am falling out of love with the Boxster S.

I have changed job role recently which now means that I am driving around the country a little more. I normally take my Alpina B3 - waft down and waft back. 

I took the Boxster S yesterday for a trip to Westfield in Kingswineford. The journey up was in traffic and the clutch operation was tiring. I traveled at circa the speed limit and the noise was extreme even with the roof up. It was a hot day, but too hot to have the roof down, which would have been too noisy anyway....

When i completed the days driving, i was in pain. I found it painful to get out the car and my back is still in agony a day after the driving. 

Perhaps i am getting old and have used the car for the wrong journey, but i am trying to convince myself that the car is worth having in my stable. I don't have free days to go driving at early mornings on Welsh country roads the car must fit in with my lifestyle. 

Perhaps I have been spoilt by my 300bhp Alpina that just does what i tell it too...

Please help.....

Help! I am falling out of love with the Boxster S - tut, tut you shouldn't take a pretty woman for granted....

I have changed job role recently which now means that I am driving around the country a little more. I normally take my Alpina B3 - waft down and waft back - but its butt ugly when you look back at it.....

I took the Boxster S yesterday for a trip to Westfield in Kingswineford. The journey up was in traffic and the clutch operation was tiring. I traveled at circa the speed limit and the noise was extreme even with the roof up. It was a hot day, but too hot to have the roof down, which would have been too noisy anyway....no way should it be noisy roof up or down its one of the quietest, smoothest, sweet sounding motors I've driven there must be something fundamentally wrong with your car and its never to hot to have the roof down, wear a cap and get some decent Oakley's

Very normal cars like Hyundai's and Kia's passed me regularly, like i was going backwards, which in itself is not anything to be concerned about, but my car is built for speed....its 17 years old and sub 6 secs 0-60, not slow but not as quick as the latest hot hatches, man up and get over it. But its a PORSCHE got bags of character and coming from a soulless Golf R I know what I'd rather have on the drive.

When i completed the days driving, i was in pain. I found it painful to get out the car and my back is still in agony a day after the driving - have you got electric seats? I find it very comfortable think you need to see a chiropractor and work on your core

Perhaps i am getting old and have used the car for the wrong journey, but i am trying to convince myself that the car is worth having in my stable. I don't have free days to go driving at early mornings on Welsh country roads the car must fit in with my lifestyle - perhaps you are getting to old and need a pipe and slippers car

Perhaps I have been spoilt by my 300bhp Alpina that just does what i tell it too - ahhh but you cant take the roof off and its not a PORSCHE :laugh:

11 hours ago, Pinewood said:

Sell it and move into Alpina land .... It's not for everyone . 

Mine is for special trips and weekend fun, so fits the bill perfectly

This☝️

1 hour ago, Clivescoobydo said:

its never to hot to have the roof down, wear a cap and get some decent Oakley's

This. I'm also guilty of having the top down and the A/C blasting on particularly hot days.

Thug life :smoke2:

1 minute ago, K.I.T.T. said:

This. I'm also guilty of having the top down and the A/C blasting on particularly hot days.

Thug life :smoke2:

I’m with you there Ash.  When the sun is really beating down that lovely blast of frigid A/C is bliss 😎

I understand your gripes Rav, the 986 does require a lot more input/compromise than any modern hatchback. I am in the lucky positon of not needing to drive any kind of distance for work, hence I enjoy every journey. The attention and physical effort required make the experience for me over any distance. I would concur though that arriving at a work destination, on a regular basis,  is probably better done in something wafty and larger

Had mine 7yrs now and still love it. I certainly wouldn't want to use it everyday though as it would definitely reduce the pleasure of ownership. 

I'm surprised you find it noisy... have you got a sports/aftermarket exhaust fitted? Mines only a 2.5 5 speed but it's certainly not noisy at cruising speeds. 

I don't find mine particularly slow either, but then I only compare it to my 118d daily driver which is hardly a ball of fire. Id imagine most cars seem slow compared to a B3 Alpina.... sounds like you have a dilemma! 

Hi Rav sorry to hear that, I have used my car on a daily basis but over the winter this year not so much, tend to jump into the Disco.

As others have stated the Boxster is a bit of a luxury, as in its a toy to be used for pleasure not really an everyday car, although it is designed to be used that way.

you have to remember, its a sports car NOT a Grand Tourer, so yes it’s a little raw, but that’s the beauty and appeal to most, try using an Elise S1 everyday or a Morgan, now that’s raw, getting into a Boxster after driving one of those it’s almost Bentley like.

I don’t like driving it in heavy traffic, say in LONDON, as others have said really need a PDK or Tip for that to make it easier.

i think you seat adjustment might be wrong, you shouldn’t get a bad back just from driving the Box unless there is an underlying issue to begin with.

Dont drive the car for a while, then pick a nice sunny day, get the kids with the grand parents and take the wife out, down to a nice country pub with the roof off and you will fall in love all over again.

Its difficult with kids as the Boxster is never used for family outings.

Come to the next RWB Munch we will get you enthused again.

Mrs SiPie and I have a standing joke about 'right car / wrong car' dilemma.

For example our April week in the Highlands.... I debated long and hard as the weather forecast was mixed but generally good. In the end took the Forester XT, didn't have to think too hard about what we packed, I threw in my guitar, booze and food a plenty and thought 'right car'. Left from just outside Edinburgh and it poured down constantly on the 50mph crawl up the A9..... 'right car' we smugly said.

Just through inverness the rain stopped, sun came out, and the roads turned into those that had caused me the initial dilemma (the A835 then on to A832 😍) 'wrong car'.

The weeks' walking involved driving to the foot of some Torridon mountains along single track rough roads, up verges etc to let things pass, farm tracks etc ..........'right car'.

End of week we left Badachro (nr Gairloch) at 6.30am on the most amazing clear day with sunrise to match (see pic). The drive back to Inverness on completely empty roads with the sun rising over the mountains was truly memorable and you guessed it...... 'wrong car'.

Lucky to have a few cars in the family, but the Boxster S is for special occasions only, we accept the compromise it brings and make the most of the drives when we make the right choice.

No point in beating yourself up about 'wrong car days'.

Cheers

Si 

IMG_1279.jpg

14 hours ago, martinjohn308 said:

my previous car was a 1978 Ferrari 308 GTS carburettor car. I had that car for 18 years

New thread in Other Marques section please. Those were absolutely gorgeous (if not to pay the bills!)

13 hours ago, toplad said:

n Audi S4 it munches great distances in relative (suspension a bit firm) comfort. 

Boxster is best enjoyed on the open road, it's too compromised for nose to tail traffic day in day out, just feels rough 

Interesting, I was only looking for a different engine configuration from what I'd had before and S4 was an option being V8 sports saloon, so if suspension is rather firm (like a lot of modern cars - big rims and stiff side walls) glad I went flat 6 sports car route 😀 

That said I wouldn't chose to commute in congestion in a Boxster.

50 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

New thread in Other Marques section please. Those were absolutely gorgeous (if not to pay the bills!)

Too true. I was at Dove House a couple of weeks ago, there were a 328 GTS and 355 parked near each other. I hadn't appreciated how big Ferraris have got compared to earlier ones. Love the crafted lines of the 308. Bills, now there's a whole order of magnitude vs. Porsche.

Archived