Would you?

RickLS7

6 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Buying a car from Silverstone? One careful previous owner = Porsche Experience?

orange is good, lime green would be better

Not always i know a couple that have ended up at Reading including the GTS i had fun in

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't bother with the test drive, it was raining heavily so it seemed pointless as I wouldn't learn anything.  A very nice lady called Teresa at Silverstone (Towcester) OPC has let me have a 718S all day on the 7th August though.  Is there a huge excess, deposit or whatever required? don't imagine they just throw you the keys.

The orange 718 was at the bodyshop having the front bumper resprayed as there are a few stone chips, another disappointment.  The missus however was more impressed with the toilets and the fact she got a chocolate with her coffee than the cars, women!

My boss owns Sytner (and many other things), apparently I get some sort of discount. 

Not sure you would find many used Boxsters that hadnt had the front reprayed due to stone chips, so wouldnt let that put you off.

I recently had the front of my car PPF'd so that I would nt have to get it resprayed as these car are very prone to stone chipping.

Have had Porsche centres take a copy of my driving license and then given me the keys to all manner of Porsches in the past and let me and wife drive them away so hopefully you get the same.

Good Luck.

In my experience all they need is a copy of your driving license.  Silverstone gave me a 981 for two days back in 2014 before I bought mine, though admittedly I left my 987 with them!  Always had a good experience with Silverstone and would recommend. 

d

Thanks guys, was expecting to hand over my firstborn as deposit - fair trade!

I certainly wasn't put off by the bumper refresh, just a shame the car was off site and I never got to see it.

I don't know anything about the car I'm driving, asked to drive a 2.5T to see what the engines like.  Have no idea if they are giving me a Cayman or Boxster - very strange.

Found the 718 fast enough to be honest but you have to be sure, maybe then can test drive something I like.

Recently had a test drive in new 911 -(awesome by the way) - OPC Wolves- photocopied my license - gave me the keys to car and said car was booked out to me for the day,

only request was could i leave similar amount fuel in it when i finished !

16 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

Didn't bother with the test drive, it was raining heavily so it seemed pointless as I wouldn't learn anything.  A very nice lady called Teresa at Silverstone (Towcester) OPC has let me have a 718S all day on the 7th August though.  Is there a huge excess, deposit or whatever required? don't imagine they just throw you the keys.

The orange 718 was at the bodyshop having the front bumper resprayed as there are a few stone chips, another disappointment.  The missus however was more impressed with the toilets and the fact she got a chocolate with her coffee than the cars, women!

My boss owns Sytner (and many other things), apparently I get some sort of discount. 

Teresa Butler-Henderson, I dealt with her when I bought mine a few months ago

She's great, offered to drive the orange 718 when it gets back from the bodyshop to where I work in Brixworth so I could have a look at it.  

I have the day off on the 7th.  I probably wont keep the 718S for the day as I'd like to try the 718 plus a 991 - unless it's heavy rain again.

On 7/26/2019 at 11:21 AM, Menoporsche said:

Oddly my only problem with Lava Orange is that it’s not orange enough, 

Yeh Lava Orange was the launch colour and when I saw the press releases I thought it would look like a great colour, but in reality it was a bit of a disappointment and didn’t really pop enough I thought, sort of half way between red and orange. (This is when I was considering a 718 back in ‘16 ). The premium for the colour meant that I removed it from my option considerations.  You don’t seem to see that many of them on the roads to be honest (considering it was the launch colour) so I can only assume it wasn’t that popular,  but I can’t see it being a colour that actually puts lots of people off, it’s not extream enough for that, basically then don’t let it put you off if you like it get it. It’s very personal colour choice.

19 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

She's great, offered to drive the orange 718 when it gets back from the bodyshop to where I work in Brixworth so I could have a look at it.  

I have the day off on the 7th.  I probably wont keep the 718S for the day as I'd like to try the 718 plus a 991 - unless it's heavy rain again.

I'm sorry but we can't have another 718 Boxster in Brixworth, I bought mine, then the landlord of the Coach & Horses bought one. Couple of older 986's locally

In that case, there's a nice Carrera at Silverstone. 

The new ones are 3 litre twin turbo's, My man maths is saying trade in the BMW (which I own outright) and then it's the same outlay as the Boxster.

Don't want to offend the locals - especially the landlord.

Having saved for this the last couple of years, I now seem to be unable to get at my funds.  Have a couple of 1 year fixed savings accounts with Atom Bank, just found out that unless you can prove extreme hardship, you aren't allowed to remove or close accounts until it matures (currently March).  Thought I'd be able to take the money out and forfeit all interest or some sort of penalty - apparently not.

Don't suppose wanting a newer Porsche comes under the heading of extreme hardship?

Yes but fixed term with zero access! Just about all fixed term accounts will let you close them with a loss of interest and/or a penalty. 

Its not a major thing, just annoying. 

As someone with an extremely understated Miami Blue car I feel qualified to say go for the bright colours!

As per most replies OPC will take a licence check code (electronic verification system via DVLA to verify licence is current and valid) and they will chuck you keys to most things. I've had 718, 911 Panny Turbos all sorts. They add you to their insurance policy and there will be an excess so check it out. OPC Sheffield was only £250.

My test drive didn't exactly go to plan.  Got there and the car I was to drive had been given to someone else and they had substituted a Cayenne instead - wtf.  I had to suggest the used one in the car park as they were going to send me away and rebook.  The 2.5 was very quick and sounded great (well, not so great idling I admit) and probably the one to have if you want to seriously exceed the speed limit all the time.

The orange car was nowhere to be seen even though it's been up for sale on the website for over two weeks.  It's not in saleable condition but they brought it around so I could see at my request.  The windscreen was broken in two places as was the drivers window.  There were scratches and scuffs on the bodywork as well as the internal leather and the sports crono mode rotary switch/button was inoperable when I had a very quick test drive.  It seemed to be a very unloved car and not worthy of the £43500 price tag (yet).

I was really unsatisfied with the whole experience.  I get the Sytner affinity discount from work but were not willing to give me any idea how much this may be - even on a named car.  They had a couple of new Boxsters in stock which they were willing to discount but didn't get a price.  Every time I asked a question, Teresa would disappear for 10 minutes to ask someone and even then, this never resulted in a straight answer. 

They certainly made it very easy for me to walk away without buying anything.  Think I'll try Cambridge or Leicester OPC next time.

How disappointing for you!

Dont give up though, as you say, try elsewhere.

Don't like the sound of that orange car at all, looks like its had a hard life and could be hiding all sorts of problems that you can't see.

Walk away, plenty of fish in the sea!

• 3 weeks later...

Lava is a nice colour at the moment but we don't know how tastes will change over the next 10 years before it returns to vogue.  Think of the mint green and vivid purple 964s which are now sought after.  They were unloved for many years.

Hell, even Ocean Jade is being thought of as a good colour now. :o 

As long as you like being stared at everywhere you drive it, don’t worry about buying one with a bright colour!  I’m so vain now that i check in the mirrors if passers by are still staring😀🚙

Archived