What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

3 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Meguiars ultimate and DA my ghosting disappeared a +1 for buying a DA

This ^ is good advice, and I will definitely go for the Meguiars Ultimate.  Not sure I can be trusted with anything electric going near my paintwork though - It was nerve wracking enough using the caramel wheel :lol:

another one for the Meguiars.

Previous owner had left some bird muck on for a bit too long which ruined the finish, every time I cleaned it I could see where it had been, used the Meguiars Ultimate a couple of times and it was back to original finish.

16 minutes ago, Davey P said:

This ^ is good advice, and I will definitely go for the Meguiars Ultimate.  Not sure I can be trusted with anything electric going near my paintwork though - It was nerve wracking enough using the caramel wheel :lol:

I think that’s the beauty of a DA against a Rotary more user friendly for us numpties!!

The only thing I will say for ultimate compound is that if you're too aggressive with it you can end up with some very fine scratches/marring from it. You can always twin it with a lighter/finer polish afterwards to help finish it off (something like Super Resin Polish from Autoglym).

Mind you, I wouldn't want to do a whole car by hand with both 😫

6 hours ago, Patt said:

If you don't fancy having a go yourself, pop over to Bracknell and I'll buzz over your boot lid for you.

If you fancy doing my whole car for some recompense id happily pop to charge my battery!

v6MYLMY.jpg

back on topic(ish) a moment - noticed my roof was slipping outside the B pillar last week - well known problem with the internal elastic letting go - so set about fixing it.

I've seen the various fixes using staples - which I tried and that just didn't feel right somehow, and they pulled out after a few days anyway.

so I  ordered some new elastic from amazon - this stuff

Sold by: Wedding Decor UK

perfect stuff with button holes down the middle so attaches over the torx bolt at the back - and dead cheap

so unpicked the old dead elastic, and stitched in this new stuff - took about 15 minutes a side - and much better than leaving old elastic in and stapling in the new stuff (to me anyway feels better)

was a doddle, and should last ages, and is adjustable with a torx key as original. chuffed 🙂

8 minutes ago, frozen said:

back on topic(ish) a moment - noticed my roof was slipping outside the B pillar last week - well known problem with the internal elastic letting go - so set about fixing it.

I've seen the various fixes using staples - which I tried and that just didn't feel right somehow, and they pulled out after a few days anyway.

so I  ordered some new elastic from amazon - this stuff

Sold by: Wedding Decor UK

perfect stuff with button holes down the middle so attaches over the torx bolt at the back - and dead cheap

so unpicked the old dead elastic, and stitched in this new stuff - took about 15 minutes a side - and much better than leaving old elastic in and stapling in the new stuff (to me anyway feels better)

was a doddle, and should last ages, and is adjustable with a torx key as original. chuffed 🙂

Interesting to know about that stuff in case my recent fix doesn't last - i just removed the torx screw and moved the elastic to the next slot.

8 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Interesting to know about that stuff in case my recent fix doesn't last - i just removed the torx screw and moved the elastic to the next slot.

my old elastic had no twang left in it so wouldn't have helped in my case - so decided to replace with something stretchy

11 hours ago, frozen said:

my old elastic had no twang left in it so wouldn't have helped in my case - so decided to replace with something stretchy

A method I have used on this problem on several cars is, get some elastic double it up and tie it about 10” long firk inside to the rear roof bar loop the elastic on itself bring it forward and tie it onto the piece of fabric the old elastic is stitched to, 5 mins and works every time.

Edited by bally4563
Lockdown maddness

19 hours ago, JonSta said:

+1 for meguiars ultimate. Did a great job on my black Subaru and I used it to get some fine marks out of the boxster. Remember - straight lines!

Interesting you say "straight lines".  All the videos I've seen so far have shown them applying the stuff in a circular motion... 

Anyway, I've placed a click and collect order with my local Halfords for the following:  Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Meguiars Even Coat Applicator Pads, and Meguiars Gold Class Premium Quik Wax, plus Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing.  That should keep me busy over the weekend..... :lol:

Fitted new condensers today, all going well until I find the last hex bolt previously rounded of by some numpty, ended up taking the angle grinder to the bolt head and housing bracket, added an extra hour or so to a reasonably easy job 😬

2020-05-22_05-55-53

Got her Serviced and MOT'ed. The popped out to get some fresh eggs in the North Yorkshire sunshine.

🙂

k8TIExh.jpg

8eKBCnZ.jpg

unXX5l8.jpg

l2ASVMu.jpg

Edited by Verner
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 11:42 AM, Davey P said:

Interesting you say "straight lines".  All the videos I've seen so far have shown them applying the stuff in a circular motion... 

Anyway, I've placed a click and collect order with my local Halfords for the following:  Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Meguiars Even Coat Applicator Pads, and Meguiars Gold Class Premium Quik Wax, plus Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing.  That should keep me busy over the weekend..... :lol:

You have to use a bit of elbow grease to get it to do it's thing. I find it much better to do the hard part with straight lines. Try it both ways and see what you think....

3 hours ago, JonSta said:

You have to use a bit of elbow grease to get it to do it's thing. I find it much better to do the hard part with straight lines. Try it both ways and see what you think....

Will do, cheers for the useful tips mate :thumbsup_anim:

19 hours ago, Davey P said:

Will do, cheers for the useful tips mate :thumbsup_anim:

Remember it's much easier to see the result under electric or flourescent lights. It can look great in daylight then you look in artificial light and the swirl marks are there. My boxster is dark blue. Looked great when I bought it. When I looked at it in the garage under lectric light it was great except for the rear frunk and the hood cover which had swirls. The meguiars sorted it no prob but I was careful to buff in straight lines. Can't remember where I heard that.