What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

On 6/11/2020 at 12:39 PM, sa utah said:

Fitted the sports steering wheel I’ve had sat in the kitchen for a while.  ... cleaned it up with PEARS soap after I aquired it so it’s a nice matt black finish as it should be.  

Per your advice I cleaned and de-shined my wheel today. Worked a treat. Looks - and more importantly, feels - a lot better.

Cheers for the tip.

11 minutes ago, minimoog said:

Per your advice I cleaned and de-shined my wheel today. Worked a treat. Looks - and more importantly, feels - a lot better.

Cheers for the tip.

Magic sponge does the same

24 minutes ago, minimoog said:

Cheers for the tip.

Glad you got sorted.  

Re the magic sponge I’m sure it will remove grime but that’s because they are abrasive.  Most abrasive than people think.  

I know it is frowned upon but I use fairy liquid and warm water to deep clean my leather. I normally use a soft sponge to clean and microfibre towels to dry. I have used leather brushes before but I’m not keen on using them.

49701950897_36e5a87eef_b.jpg

This was my leather after a deep clean the other week 😉

Be careful with fairy liquid as it has a very very high salt content......not usually a good combination with leather ie the salt breaks it down / dries it out and causes cracking when you want to be doing then opposite and adding oils back in.....your really better off using pure snow flakes 😉

Edited by Jonttt

I only use a tiny bit but works well if the leather is grubby or greasy. I’ve used it for years and never had any issues but I know it frowned upon. I have used mild all purpose cleaner before and that works ok.

Whatever I use I always treat it with a leather balm, I never leave the leather dry👍

11 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I know it is frowned upon but I use fairy liquid and warm water to deep clean my leather. I normally use a soft sponge to clean and microfibre towels to dry. I have used leather brushes before but I’m not keen on using them.

49701950897_36e5a87eef_b.jpg

This was my leather after a deep clean the other week 😉

Loving the look of that black centre console! Mine has a few wear marks on it, how did you achieve that finish? 

I thought I would put this on here. I have been having problems with the Dynavin Head unit that was fitted to the car when I bought it. 

The battery was prematurely draining, the rear  Bose  amplifier and speakers  didn't work and the radio would lose the station process, apart from that everything was fine! 

Had my Dynavin head unit removed and the original head unit fitted. Also had various wiring problems fixed/removed.

Bose rear amp/base unit wasn't working, (or connected!) and now fixed.

The guy,, (Michael from SoundSecure)also fitted a Dension Gateway 500sBT  in place of the original phone unit that is fixed below the driver seat. This also has a hardwired access port that is fitted in the little cubbyhole in the centre console.

With this, it will automatically Bluetooth your phone and therefore you can stream music and anything else from your phone. You can use the full phone functions from the original Porsche unit including phonebook.  It all comes up on the screen like it was meant to.. The whole unit works really well with the advantage that you can also put your phone in the centre console plugged into the new access port so it will charge and to be hardwire connected to the unit.

I can't believe how much better the sound is with the original Porsche unit which has the Bose system, It really is fantastic and I am so pleased with the system now.

To me, another advantages of course that it looks standard Porsche. 

Michael gets a big thumbs up for me. Did all the work in my garage and only demanded one black coffee! 

Hope this is of use to people who have the original PCM unit and want to update/upgrade it without changing the whole head unit. 

• Thanks 2

Installed the H7 dipped LED nighteye lights everyone was going on about. 
Had to widen the clip that holds them in, but was easy to bend. 
Given we are not far off the longest day I haven’t really had a chance to try them out on the road. 

Put mine back in the garage. Wasn’t driven for two months during lockdown, then used daily to commute for two weeks. Now I’m not allowed in the office again, it’s gone back under cover with the solar maintainer. 

Cheapie ebay shortshifter fitted. Taking the centre console wasn't as easy as I thought, getting the knob off was not straightforward either. Broke the faceplace of the psm switch panel, so easy to do. I think the worst part was getting the gear cover off. My oem shifter was so sloppy at 105k, this feels like a rifle bolt. 

IMG_20200612_121413.jpg

IMG_20200611_133546.jpg

I don't like the shorter throw so much, but it is just great being able to find a gear immediately rather than stir a pot of porridge. It just adds to the driving experience, silky smooth torque, direct steering feedback and now a nice gearchange, ace. 

Foglight DRL hack done, fitting LED foglights corroded screws though drilling them out at the moment. Do need to find some sidelight LED's now. Ebay has some which say canbus suitable. 

I know what you mean. My gearchange had excessive play at 83,000 miles so I renewed it for the standard item. So much better. 

So much for my success In getting out the seized in hoses, however I still have a weep on one of the cross over pipes, news is it’s out, without dropping subframe, a bit of a faff!! Waiting on new replacement, all should be good

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

So much for my success In getting out the seized in hoses, however I still have a weep on one of the cross over pipes, news is it’s out, without dropping subframe, a bit of a faff!! Waiting on new replacement, all should be good

I dropped in to my mechanic on Friday and mine was on the ramp, everything was off and on the floor including the Ali cross pipes. I know it won’t be cheap, but at least I know they won’t fail on me for another 10 years. I’d love to have had a go myself, but hearing your challenges, I’m glad I didn’t as the limit of my expertise would have been reach very quickly! Good luck getting it all finished now

8 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

I dropped in to my mechanic on Friday and mine was on the ramp, everything was off and on the floor including the Ali cross pipes. I know it won’t be cheap, but at least I know they won’t fail on me for another 10 years. I’d love to have had a go myself, but hearing your challenges, I’m glad I didn’t as the limit of my expertise would have been reach very quickly! Good luck getting it all finished now

Thanks, mate took me out yesterday for a shake down, before I get back on the road on July1st, noticed afterwards there was a patch of coolant on the floor, so I thought got a couple of weeks , why not, also fitted rear wishbone I got from Eporsch in compensation for the dent in one of the back boxes they sent me.....been quite busy!!

On 6/3/2020 at 10:15 AM, Verner said:

Final pics with trim added:-

7ruCJuH.jpg

3h5oAh2.jpg

Thoughts guys?

Best wishes,

Verner

Have just seen your thread on the PCGB forum. Did you find out how the body shop removed the soft plastic coating?

Gave my car a change of oil (Mobil 1) new oil and air filter, new pollen filter and new spark plugs, but while taking off the coil packs to put in new plugs noticed they were cracked so new set of coil packs too.  It’s been a busy weekend 😃