What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

16 hours ago, red rocket said:

How did you lift the car? Just jack and axle stands?

Jack and stands.  I probably didn’t need to but I lowered the car as it was draining.  I left it for a couple of hours before continuing.  

I got just short of 8L in there so must have been pretty empty.  Id partially filled the filter housing with oil too which is a nice thing about having the filter in that orientation.  

I filled it to the second line from the top then left it.   Parked it on a flat part of the drive then then next day checked it again and the level hadn’t changed so put a very small amount more in to get to the very top bar on the gauge.  It’s good doing these things yourself so you know it’s been done.  

13 minutes ago, sa utah said:

Jack and stands.  I probably didn’t need to but I lowered the car as it was draining.  I left it for a couple of hours before continuing.  

I got just short of 8L in there so must have been pretty empty.  Id partially filled the filter housing with oil too which is a nice thing about having the filter in that orientation.  

I filled it to the second line from the top then left it.   Parked it on a flat part of the drive then then next day checked it again and the level hadn’t changed so put a very small amount more in to get to the very top bar on the gauge.  It’s good doing these things yourself so you know it’s been done.  

Thanks. Very comprehensive ! 👍

4 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Thanks. Very comprehensive ! 👍

Yes servicing these things is very rewarding and quite affordable doing it yourself for the premium you are charged just for a stamp in a book. Receipts time line and mileage are more than acceptable in my book for something 10 to 15 years old.

4 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Yes servicing these things is very rewarding and quite affordable doing it yourself for the premium you are charged just for a stamp in a book. Receipts time line and mileage are more than acceptable in my book for something 10 to 15 years old.

Agreed. Would like to 'learn' how to do more myself, partly for the satisfaction and partly in order to save labour costs making it more affordable to improve stuff e.g. suspension upgrade.

2 hours ago, Gutley said:

Do we have a ‘Dummy’s Guide to changing the Oil’ thread anywhere?  If not, could we get one or more done (for various models).

YouTube is your best resource for this.  There are numerous videos of people doing oil changes.   It’s no more complex than any other car I’ve owned.  All the bits are super simple to get to.  

finally got round to giving the hazed headlights and rear clusters some TLC with Meguirs headlight polish and some Chemical guys compound. Finished off with some polish and sealant. It has made the world of difference to their scruffy appearance and hopefully full xenon test run tonight

before and after headlightsbefore and after headlights

Following the instructions and additional tips from Smudger (thanks for that 👍), I managed to firstly realise that in my car with Xenons & LED daytime lights that I do not need to / can't consider changing side light bulbs before starting (so one less job to do), cleared out the odd few leaves in the scoops & sprayed some WD 40 down in there, and then get the Zunsport grills / covers fitted.

Notes from my on it are that it probably is worth using masking tape all along the bottom edge before you get used to how they fit - first one went in fine, but one of the lower clips on the second one was tricky to get seated & once I had it was so snug I couldn't peel all the masking tape off without partially removing again 😬, so glad I did use the tape as it may have scraped but then again if I hadn't I wouldn't have risked more chance of scratches by needing to remove it.

Once clipped in they definitely feel very well seated and I don't think chance of them coming loose by themselves or losing one whilst driving.

All in all I'm really happy with how they fit & look on the car understanding that they aren't a manufacturer provided part / designed for fitting when the lights & scoop areas where being made to have specific fittings. Being really picky there is still a slim gap in the centres but I don't think you could get it any closer and still clear the blades behind them, and at the top corner outer edges it does sit back a little deeper under the lights that in the middle (hopefully the pics help others see if they would be happy with that or not), but all in all, really happy with this 😁.

05.jpg

01 - small.jpg

02 small.jpg

Edited by Babaa

45 minutes ago, Babaa said:

Following the instructions and additional tips from Smudger (thanks for that 👍), I managed to firstly realise that in my car with Xenons & LED daytime lights that I do not need to / can't consider changing side light bulbs before starting (so one less job to do), cleared out the odd few leaves in the scoops & sprayed some WD 40 down in there, and then get the Zunsport grills / covers fitted.

Notes from my on it are that it probably is worth using masking tape all along the bottom edge before you get used to how they fit - first one went in fine, but one of the lower clips on the second one was tricky to get seated & once I had it was so snug I couldn't peel all the masking tape off without partially removing again 😬, so glad I did use the tape as it may have scraped but then again if I hadn't I wouldn't have risked more chance of scratches by needing to remove it.

Once clipped in they definitely feel very well seated and I don't think chance of them coming loose by themselves or losing one whilst driving.

All in all I'm really happy with how they fit & look on the car understanding that they aren't a manufacturer provided part / designed for fitting when the lights & scoop areas where being made to have specific fittings. Being really picky there is still a slim gap in the centres but I don't think you could get it any closer and still clear the blades behind them, and at the top corner outer edges it does sit back a little deeper under the lights that in the middle (hopefully the pics help others see if they would be happy with that or not), but all in all, really happy with this 😁.

05.jpg

01 - small.jpg

02 small.jpg

I’m sure this has been mentioned somewhere, but how much are these?

Yep - was about £110 including delivery and I did find a code here (that may be the one), but if it doesn't work then there was a loyalty / referral code in my order that says it will save 15% (add membership number 1006 41645), but if that 20% one is still working then that would be better.

Delivery direct from them was pretty good as think I ordered late Wed night and came during Friday.

23 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Thanks just checked , this has expired 😩

Nope, just tried it myself and it works (also still current per July issue of PCGB Porsche Post). Make sure you type zero not O'

46 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Nope, just tried it myself and it works (also still current per July issue of PCGB Porsche Post). Make sure you type zero not O'

50026648046_59814f0d8e_b.jpg

doesn’t like me ? 

On 6/20/2020 at 1:33 PM, lostinespace said:

My neighbour has just armed with a DA and various compounds. I shall report back in a few days, off to youtube the right technique. 

Right I have now spent more on details products than I have on petrol since I bought the thing. Just wired the dashcam, radar detector and bluetooth transmitter to a fuse socket that was switched. Having had one flat battery I don't want any more. Oh and rear bumper off for rear dashcam fitment, and clean. 

Bought some Fusso. My elastic hood repairs failed, need to do them again.