What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

On 7/29/2020 at 9:58 PM, lostinespace said:

Been swapping over the bump stops, done one learnt the easy way to do it although I still have to put the first strut back together. 

what's the easy way to do it chap?

i need to do mine at some point...

19 hours ago, beaks said:

If like the 986, slacken the top nut. Undo the 3 top mount retaining nut, marking your camber position.  Jack up and after removing wheel and slackening the inboard bolt on the bottom coffin arm the whole assembly should drop enough to come out clear of the wheel arch, if not use the spring compressor at this point.  Use spring compressor to take the tension off, finish removing the top nut and hey presto top mount and bump stop all come off.  Reassemble in reverse and particularly remember to torque up the coffin arm inboard bolt with the load on the suspension (either in the air with a jack supporting all the weight of the suspension enough to take the weight off an axle stand or on the ground if you can get underneath OK.) And line up the top mounts with the marks you made with your camber setting.

It is worth stripping and re-greasing the top bearing whilst you are in there at the front and also changing the front top mount, Sachs (OE supplier) are about £50 a pair on eBay without Porsche part numbers (you can see where they have been removed before the final plating process in the factory) on them or £150 each from an OPC.

25 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

If like the 986, slacken the top nut. Undo the 3 top mount retaining nut, marking your camber position.  Jack up and after removing wheel and slackening the inboard bolt on the bottom coffin arm the whole assembly should drop enough to come out clear of the wheel arch, if not use the spring compressor at this point.  Use spring compressor to take the tension off, finish removing the top nut and hey presto top mount and bump stop all come off.  Reassemble in reverse and particularly remember to torque up the coffin arm inboard bolt with the load on the suspension (either in the air with a jack supporting all the weight of the suspension enough to take the weight off an axle stand or on the ground if you can get underneath OK.) And line up the top mounts with the marks you made with your camber setting.

It is worth stripping and re-greasing the top bearing whilst you are in there at the front and also changing the front top mount, Sachs (OE supplier) are about £50 a pair on eBay without Porsche part numbers (you can see where they have been removed before the final plating process in the factory) on them or £150 each from an OPC.

Really useful to know. One of mine needs doing and I was looking at it and thinking...I wonder !

Glad to know it can be done without removing the whole strut to use spring compressors.

Thanks

21 hours ago, beaks said:

I disconnected the drop links compressed the spring and managed to do it without loosening the coffin bolts, but I have springs with a 35mm drop maybe that is why I could do it that way.

Sold the 987.1 this week and picked up the below. 

So I went from a 2008 Boxster 987.1 2.7 Sports Edition with 83k miles. 
The Mini is 2012, one owner and 30k miles. 
Best thing. Traded the Boxster in and got the Mini and cash back !!!!

Over the coming days/weeks I may have some 987.1 parts up for sale. 

3 hours ago, Buzzlt said:

Really useful to know. One of mine needs doing and I was looking at it and thinking...I wonder !

Glad to know it can be done without removing the whole strut to use spring compressors.

Thanks

Forgot to mention disconnect the roll bar drop link from the roll bar, unless you are in the very lucky minority that the drop link just taps out of the upright nicely.....

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 7:10 PM, chanlon1 said:

Sold the 987.1 this week and picked up the below. 

So I went from a 2008 Boxster 987.1 2.7 Sports Edition with 83k miles. 
The Mini is 2012, one owner and 30k miles. 
Best thing. Traded the Boxster in and got the Mini and cash back !!!!

Over the coming days/weeks I may have some 987.1 parts up for sale. 

any particular reason for selling the Boxster?

3 hours ago, jim o'hara said:

any particular reason for selling the Boxster?

The main reason I decided to let it go was that I felt there were some things looming on the horizon that were beyond my skills and therefore would have required a decent outlay. Therefore it would have tied me to the car for even longer.

Plus I plan on getting rid of my daily driver around Xmas, and I couldnt see me driving the Boxster all day every day. (Age of car, and 83K miles).

Two seats didnt come into the equation as the Mini Coupe is only two seats - it will still be me & my son, my wife can walk :)

34 minutes ago, chanlon1 said:

The main reason I decided to let it go was that I felt there were some things looming on the horizon that were beyond my skills and therefore would have required a decent outlay. Therefore it would have tied me to the car for even longer.

Plus I plan on getting rid of my daily driver around Xmas, and I couldnt see me driving the Boxster all day every day. (Age of car, and 83K miles).

Two seats didnt come into the equation as the Mini Coupe is only two seats - it will still be me & my son, my wife can walk :)

thanks for the info - only reason i ask is that i'm still considering pulling the trigger on one (my 3rd porsche) - but don't want it to just become another 'to do' list like my others did - lol - just not sure if i have the enthusiasm any more - lol

17 hours ago, jim o'hara said:

thanks for the info - only reason i ask is that i'm still considering pulling the trigger on one (my 3rd porsche) - but don't want it to just become another 'to do' list like my others did - lol - just not sure if i have the enthusiasm any more - lol

Would never rule out getting another! Maybe newer and lower mileage. 

• Like 1

Had a few hours so decided to pull the rear arch liners and have a look behind them.  

Some mud/crud but nothing scary. 

50189510987_d665480423_b.jpg

That’s offside.  Black tube is roof drip pan outlet pipe.  Small tube on the wing is clamshell drain outlet pipe.  

near side similar.  Assume the bigger pipe comes from the inlet / snorkel side. 

50188709178_29990a89c6_b.jpg

interesting that the bottom of the drip pan drains are perforated  Porsche really don’t want those to block  

And had a chance to clean the inside of the wheels and get the old wheel weight gloop of the wheels.  ( yes it has a wheel on each side at the back.  Just couldn’t be a***d to upload two pictures of the inside of my wheels )

50189257336_c64b79e01c_b.jpg

Was going to drive it but then the Gin started calling me.  

Might do the fronts tomorrow.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Had a few hours so decided to pull the rear arch liners and have a look behind them.  

Some mud/crud but nothing scary. 

50189510987_d665480423_b.jpg

That’s offside.  Black tube is roof drip pan outlet pipe.  Small tube on the wing is clamshell drain outlet pipe.  

near side similar.  Assume the bigger pipe comes from the inlet / snorkel side. 

50188709178_29990a89c6_b.jpg

interesting that the bottom of the drip pan drains are perforated  Porsche really don’t want those to block  

And had a chance to clean the inside of the wheels and get the old wheel weight gloop of the wheels.  ( yes it has a wheel on each side at the back.  Just couldn’t be a***d to upload two pictures of the inside of my wheels )

50189257336_c64b79e01c_b.jpg

Was going to drive it but then the Gin started calling me.  

Might do the fronts tomorrow.  

Don’t look back back. I did on mine today.

14 years of abuse

Obviously had a a new rear quarter at some point. 

• Like 1

Car went in to indy this morning to sort out intermittent "window drop when opening" fault - looks like a mechanical failure on the door latch/lock mechanism sadly... still should be sorted by tomorrow 🤞 

Basically although the windows worked fine on switches and when dropping the hood the driver's side would not drop to open the door, either from inside or outside, so looking forward to having everything back to full order soon.

11 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

Curious and Lazy, what does that do? Cant say I have played with the PCM guts much.

Described my whole existence there in that first sentence.

So the Individual Code memories have to be code purchased/activated in PIWIS if not already enabled. 

The experience will differ dependent on the equipment fitted to the car.

In my case, it allows the key inserted to have a custom set of settings re

Light fade-out time 10- 120 seconds (fogs and tail lights)

Orientation light intensity (light near interior mirror)

Aircon settings (temp/fan/auto etc)

Basically a bunch of comfort settings depending on whose key is inserted..nothing world shaking

A mate who has this on another 987.2 also has the wiper rain sensor and he gets some customisation on wipe settings too.

Edited by iborguk

24 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Described my whole existence there in that first sentence.

So the Individual Code memories have to be code purchased/activated in PIWIS if not already enabled. 

The experience will differ dependent on the equipment fitted to the car.

In my case, it allows the key inserted to have a custom set of settings re

Light fade-out time 10- 120 seconds (fogs and tail lights)

Orientation light intensity (light near interior mirror)

Aircon settings (temp/fan/auto etc)

Basically a bunch of comfort settings depending on whose key is inserted..nothing world shaking

A mate who has this on another 987.2 also has the wiper rain sensor and he gets some customisation on wipe settings too.

Thanks for that, Love this type of detail and will go looking through some menus later to see what I have, I always wondered why it said 'key 1' on the dash when I got in the car.....I could have it available. 

8 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

Thanks for that, Love this type of detail and will go looking through some menus later to see what I have, I always wondered why it said 'key 1' on the dash when I got in the car.....I could have it available. 

I think by default it's cars with Sports which have this alive but there are other ways of getting it. Detail starts at page 95 of the PCM manual.