What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

I think by default it's cars with Sports which have this alive but there are other ways of getting it. Detail starts at page 95 of the PCM manual.

Yep cars with Sports chrono get this.....another Porsche none sensickle option ie why this is linked to a sport chrono option I have never understood and they do not really advertise it so people who specced sport chrono did not realise these menu options where actually an option lol.......its worth noting that if you replace the PCM with an aftermarket unit you lose the ability to change these settings so you have to ensure you get them how you want them before removing the PCM....for each key !

4 hours ago, Camels said:

Car went in to indy this morning to sort out intermittent "window drop when opening" fault - looks like a mechanical failure on the door latch/lock mechanism sadly... still should be sorted by tomorrow 🤞 

Basically although the windows worked fine on switches and when dropping the hood the driver's side would not drop to open the door, either from inside or outside, so looking forward to having everything back to full order soon.

Be interesting to see what they quote as the Porsche “part” is >£200 BUT I recently did this with a £15 VW part which is exactly the same ;-).......it is a DIY but fiddly and you have to be comfortable removing the door cards etc....I did a full write up with pics on my journal and I think I extracted it to the DIY thread (or whatever its called).....labour you will probably get charged 1.5 to 2 hours plus £200+ for the part so anything under £400 is about right depending on the labour rate v £15 DIY

Edit ....here is the link to the DIY guide...

Edited by Jonttt

7 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Thought I'd get a penalty for "out of sequence wheel nuts"

Difficult to achieve the crest points to locking wheel nut points to valve on those wheels - you need to replace them and I am happy to help you by taking them away for you - #justhelping

8 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Difficult to achieve the crest points to locking wheel nut points to valve on those wheels - you need to replace them and I am happy to help you by taking them away for you - #justhelping

Why does that sound like you're doing me a favour ;)

Next it will be the brakes...

#thehelpneverstops

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jonttt said:

Be interesting to see what they quote as the Porsche “part” is >£200 BUT I recently did this with a £15 VW part which is exactly the same ;-).......it is a DIY but fiddly and you have to be comfortable removing the door cards etc....I did a full write up with pics on my journal and I think I extracted it to the DIY thread (or whatever its called).....labour you will probably get charged 1.5 to 2 hours plus £200+ for the part so anything under £400 is about right depending on the labour rate v £15 DIY

Edit ....here is the link to the DIY guide...

Thanks for the excellent info Jonttt, however I am not that comfortable with taking all the bits apart as yet (as I haven't had the car that long and also haven't got an inside space to work on this) so have asked the garage to sort it; should work out about £350 apparently to do that and sort out a couple of minor bits & pieces, do a diagnostic code check etc  - let's see what they say later today.

Really appreciate you taking the time to provide the instructions though, might be braver if the same happens on the other side at some point.

Fitted a TyrePal Solar TPMS. Took about 20 minutes to fit and requires no tools. I looked at various after market systems, some can be had for £20 on Amazon but have middling reviews and as the point is to enhance safety and hopefully reduce damage due to a leak there seemed little point in trying to do it on the cheap, this system cost ~£100. Unlike others that I have seen the external sensors have replaceble batteries so no need to junk them once the batteries die (assuming the sensors last long enough). The colour display unit is both solar charged and takes a power lead, which for me was a selling point; I didnt want wires hanging around, its also legible with the roof down and has a good level of audio alarm. 

Once the sensors are fitted, the display unit recognises the pre-registered sensors (all done before shipment) and after a short drive the tyre pressure in Bar or PSI and temperature is displayed for each tyre. Low and high pressure thresholds and temperature can be easily set for each axle and the readings match perfectly to my Ring digital pressure gauge.

The Tyrepal website has a bunch of videos and advice on it and the unit comes with a good selection of accesories and some spare rubber seals for the sensors.

Overall, Im very pleased with the results and would recommend it to other members.

Keith

On 8/6/2020 at 6:11 PM, Jonttt said:

Yep cars with Sports chrono get this.....another Porsche none sensickle option ie why this is linked to a sport chrono option I have never understood and they do not really advertise it so people who specced sport chrono did not realise these menu options where actually an option lol.......its worth noting that if you replace the PCM with an aftermarket unit you lose the ability to change these settings so you have to ensure you get them how you want them before removing the PCM....for each key !

Guessing on this. But. Factory sport chrono gives a “4th” trip screen option on the PCM. The one with the virtual stopwatch and the “reference lap”.  I *think* the memory option gets bundled so the reference lap can be stored and lap data can be exported to usb.   I am sure I read somewhere that the PCM would forget the lap times after the “event” without memory option.  

even with that as a possible explanation it still seems an odd thing to be optional especially since most of its functions are totally unrelated to anything else.  

Uninstalled my Stone Grey centre console and fitted a 'new' one painted body colour i.e. Atlas Grey. Went for stain lacquer so quite subtle, especially compared to bright primary colours.XVLya4w.jpgBralfLz.jpg

Very happy with results. Going to put a more detailed write up in one of the console threads. Still considering whether to paint the dash trim in similar fashion. 

Edited by red rocket
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Uninstalled my Stone Grey centre console and fitted a 'new' one painted body colour i.e. Atlas Grey. Went for stain lacquer so quite subtle, especially compared to bright primary colours.XVLya4w.jpgBralfLz.jpg

Very happy with resukts. Going to put a more detailed write up in one of the console threads. Still considering whether to paint the dash trim in similar fashion. 

Nice work Peter. Looks good 👍

Went for a 4pm blast to Avebury and back after visiting the 'stones', saw the car saying was 32C - so cooler than earlier, had the aircon on but didn't seem to be chucking much cold air out, due a service and MOT soon though...

Probably the same people that go to the bank of the Thames as it's nice and natural, then take their musak to share with everyone, disposable BBQ - that happily I see seems to smoke the users mostly... oh what else - oh masses of them with so much furniture they seem to have come in a van....

Just now, Menoporsche said:

Impressive. What farm did you buy?

I knew someone would come at me , with that bad wording of mine ;) - shopping at a farm shop would have been more accurate.

Still I could get this in the frunk...

https://www.johnlewis.com/playmobil-country-pony-farm/p3304370?sku=237040199&s_ppc=2dx92700051982444672&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CjwKCAjw4MP5BRBtEiwASfwAL5J_F2o2AoeBJAQy35za-LIq5AmpXA-aNE6b4u5VfB6lFG-uAU-bLxoC4ngQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

13 hours ago, thanatoid said:

Probably the same people that go to the bank of the Thames as it's nice and natural, then take their musak to share with everyone, disposable BBQ - that happily I see seems to smoke the users mostly... oh what else - oh masses of them with so much furniture they seem to have come in a van....

Common sense is not as common as it sounds.  General awareness is not as general as it sounds....