What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Had some Fun on my 05 today wanting to replace the front struts as they were highlighted as being worn on its recent Contrôle Technique here in France so new ones ordered to replace.

Drop link top mountings totally seized in the hubs.

Have got one out but the other is not moving at the moment what a chore.

• Sad 1

On 6/16/2023 at 12:44 AM, Dubdubz said:

well Thursday - I used the jig that @bally4563 rented out - all I can say is its amazing, and if I hadnt been an impatient tool - it would have been perfect. Rent the tool and wait is my humbled and lesson learned advice!

As it is I *think I am going to helicoil it....

Its a looser than the others, I didnt foobar, not as in I think it will pull out but you can feel its slacker and the female thread is not super clean - but I guess I should find out what the torque settings are and try and see if a stud pulls out?
edit > 17ft lbs or 23 nm so not massive tight actually

What would you do? 
I have some 8 x 1.25 x 2d [which means 16mm long inserts] and the install kit - its reamed out to 8.3 so I think there is enough meat to do so.... ?

well today I did the helicoil repair and its perfect - stud isn't loose now its nice and tight like the others - well pleased
I took my time and used the Stormski jig to help get going with the 8mm drill bit that I used as a starter size and then undid the jig and went up in .1 increments to the 8.3 for the heli coil.
Longest time to drill a hole but figured slowly and carefully would win the day... 

I went for steel studs and copper nuts as I figure this is an improvement over the bolts and I'm not going to be taking the headers off every month !

Will clean and pack up the jig and get ready to ship back to Bally4563

• Like 1

15 hours ago, philw696 said:

Had some Fun on my 05 today wanting to replace the front struts as they were highlighted as being worn on its recent Contrôle Technique here in France so new ones ordered to replace.

Drop link top mountings totally seized in the hubs.

Have got one out but the other is not moving at the moment what a chore.

Heat and patiently working back and forwards will get you there in the end.

New front tyres for me on the 987.1 - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 19" on offer at Costco for around £280 fitted, the cost of the rears is more than double that mind you so hopefully they last a while longer yet!

10 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

manifold stud conversion and copper nuts on both banks done.
Coil packs and plugs on bank 1 done.
Cruise control module fitted with all bolts and cabled.

👍

Replaced NSF PASM strut with a very low mileage second hand one as there was play in the top bush, on strip down top mount was totally fubbared, completely delaminated, so on the strength of that waiting for another top mount to arrive and do OSF

• Like 1

After a few days away in Wales it’s reminded me how wonderful the 987 Boxster is. After a 6.5 hour drive from Central London to St Davids on the West coast, it was just great on all the small roads along the coast. Suspension just soaked up all the bumpy bits of the B roads, great brakes for avoiding running over rabbits and stopping quickly into wider bits of the road when there wasn’t room for two cars, enough acceleration to squirt through quickly when other people had stopped in wider bits. Roof down to enjoy the sun. A much better 5.5 hour drive back home with only a couple of slow-downs on the motorways.
best of all, one of those “oh shyate” moments on the drive back from Wales turned out to be nothing. On an uphill 2 lane stretch while passing 3 big trucks I spotted the dreaded flashing lights and Heddlu Police writing on the front of a 4x4 coming up fast. Much to my delight he appeared to be on the way to deal with some kind of major crime rather than giving me a ticket for doing 93 in a 70 zone.
It was a delayed birthday gift for my better half, who has wanted to see puffins for years, but we've always missed the season. This time, thanks to some uncharacteristic forethought on my part in buying tickets for Skomer Island 9 months ago we got to see them and it was a lovely visit to Skomer.

• Like 2

Got my 3.2 S all back together after a front suspension refresh that turned into a bit of a chew.

Now down to the South of France to the Averyon for 3 weeks of chilling, eating and relaxation with some Good Driving too.

• Like 1

Wheels off clean after the 1800 mile round trip to Carnewal.

Before:

3TxwMtV.jpg

yrYMjW9.jpg

After:

Q9vNCs0.jpg

I465eYQ.jpg

Other side was just as bad.
Noticed a few bits need attention, namely some corrosion on the struts below the spring mount.
I take it I can get some kind of drill attachment to knock it off and give it a coat of hammerite?

Also noticed some strange crazing in the laquer on the o/s/r wheel:

E2m2Cnu.jpg

And my n/s/f wheel is quite crusty on the inside edge. Must have taken some damage at some point:

ZVi9bdL.jpg

The other three wheels are fine corrosion wise, apart from the o/s/r laquer so I suspect there is a wheel refurb in my future.

*I reserve the right to having weeds in my monobloc because its not that time of year when I do that job yet.

Edited by eob
  • Like 1

Not mine but OP on here changed out front strut…. Bit of a faff .. when heat and cutting discs (that was just to get strut mount bolt out.. very carefully mind)you just know you’re in a world of hurt …. However done !!

19 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Not mine but OP on here changed out front strut…. Bit of a faff .. when heat and cutting discs (that was just to get strut mount bolt out.. very carefully mind)you just know you’re in a world of hurt …. However done !!

It was a tough job with both anti roll bar links seized solid in the aluminium hubs.

Cutting the rods I managed to get the left one out but the other had to be drilled out and I saved the hub.

Had to cut the top mounts off as the alloy bushes were seized onto the piston rods.

Springs were in great condition though.

Justine need a track rod end to finish the job.

1 hour ago, philw696 said:

It was a tough job with both anti roll bar links seized solid in the aluminium hubs.

Cutting the rods I managed to get the left one out but the other had to be drilled out and I saved the hub.

Had to cut the top mounts off as the alloy bushes were seized onto the piston rods.

Springs were in great condition though.

Justine need a track rod end to finish the job.

Trust me heat is your friend, but not a blow torch …. Proper controlled heat. Oxy/acetylene with a small jet

4 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Trust me heat is your friend, but not a blow torch …. Proper controlled heat. Oxy/acetylene with a small jet

Or a magnetic induction heater.  Cheaper (but not quite as effective to be fair) if you don't already have an oxyacetylene set...  You need to avoid over heating the metal alloy of the hub so you don't change its properties.

Edited by ½cwt