I broke my car today 😬

the baron

Driving to Yeovil today I noticed the car juddering a little through gears one and two on low revs, once the car was over 3000 revs it was fine and at speed it was fine, the the orange check engine light came on, flashing initially then settled to a constant on, it was also smelling very rich and the exhaust was covered in black soot,  pulled over and phoned Lee from Cotswold Porsche and he suggested I get it recovered. I managed to talk a garaged into plugging their diagnostic tool in and it showed misfiring on cylinders 4 and 6 and multi misfires across cylinders.

Lee thinks it probably the variocam sensor which is a £600 part plus fitting, the garage thought it was something similar so I felt confident driving it back home, carefully. (Over 70miles) it’s not definite that’s the issue, it had then coil packs changed about 3yrs ago so I don’t think it’s that, any thoughts?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds very similar to my problems on the Reims trip a couple of years back.

How is your battery and do you get a steady 14v when running? All my weird problems Seem to have been caused by low voltage (12v) and replacing alternator fixed everything. 

or it could be Variocam sensor as Lee suggests 🤷‍♂️

The performance issues sound exactly the same to mine when 5 coils needed replacing.  It spluttered at low revs and but above 3-3500 it was fine. Apparently at low revs the plugs need a bigger surge of power which is where the coils are supposed to kick in. If you’ve got dodgy plugs then they wont be performing optimally. Even a hair line crack on a coil can cause issues.

I had 5 coils changed and the difference was amazing.

1 minute ago, stupidget said:

The performance issues sound exactly the same to mine when 5 coils needed replacing.  It spluttered at low revs and but above 3-3500 it was fine. Apparently at low revs the plugs need a bigger surge of power which is where the coils are supposed to kick in. If you’ve got dodgy plugs then they wont be performing optimally. Even a hair line crack on a coil can cause issues.

I had 5 coils changed and the difference was amazing.

Had all the coils replaced a few years back but that’s not to say it’s not that, will get them checked.

12 minutes ago, the baron said:

That had crossed my mind 😂

Sorry to read this - hope the old girl gets sorted quickly for you .

I had the same fault codes coming up repeatedly, I replaced all coil packs and plugs and it went away. I also had exhaust leaks but doubtful that played a part.

I would second boxob, unplugging the maf sensor as takes seconds to try 

15 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Might be worth disconnecting the MAF plug just to eliminate that as a cause. 

Will give that a shot at the weekend, but it seems likely to be the variocam actuator due to the rough running in low gears and low revs until around 3000rpm, then it smooths itself out and it drives normally.

Ill take out the maf and give it a clean and see what happens, I’ll also inspect the 2 cylinders misfiring and check the coils and plugs.

its booked in with CPS for Friday if all else fails.

I suspect you're right but worth trying the MAF. It's free to do! Wouldn't bother removing and cleaning it. Just disconnect the electrical plug and see whether the car runs any better. If it does then it points to a MAF problem.

Baron

If it is the vvt design 911 are listing them for £415 I guess there will be vat and postage but they did have a 15% discount code not sure they are still running that plus cylinder 1 to 3 solenoid is a bit cheaper

Regards chukkieegg

Hi @Baron,

have you had the cam deviation checked in previous services?  Mine has been drifting for years now and is well out of spec.  It returns to normal when reset, but the slowly drifts out again.  Lee at CPS suspects this is the variocam activator sticking.  My car has done 179k and I’m expecting it to eventually get stuck in either the low or high position.  If what I understand is true, yours may have got stuck in the high position.  If it had been low, you could have been able to drive it.

mvw 

19 hours ago, the baron said:

Will give that a shot at the weekend, but it seems likely to be the variocam actuator due to the rough running in low gears and low revs until around 3000rpm, then it smooths itself out and it drives normally.

Ill take out the maf and give it a clean and see what happens, I’ll also inspect the 2 cylinders misfiring and check the coils and plugs.

its booked in with CPS for Friday if all else fails.

Check Douglas Valley Breakers for the part. It might save a small fortune. 

had a fuel pump off them 16 months ago for £48 shipped and it’s still going strong! 

if it helps Keep costs manageable that’s more money for 98ron, right? 

6 hours ago, PaulQ said:

If you've not seen it, then the post from @Indi9xx in this thread is informative, though sounds potentially £££

Hopefully it's something more simple. 

Thanks for the link, it’s a bit worrying and something I’ve got zero experience in, hopefully Lee at CPS with contour up some good news on Friday but knowing these cars, I expect the worse.

3 hours ago, Mr96er said:

Check Douglas Valley Breakers for the part. It might save a small fortune. 

had a fuel pump off them 16 months ago for £48 shipped and it’s still going strong! 

if it helps Keep costs manageable that’s more money for 98ron, right? 

I mentioned a second hand one to Lee and he said you could try one but due to the amount of work if it fails the costs will be higher as you will only have to replace with another probably new one that time.

The cheapest is not always the most cost effective solution when it comes to substitute parts.....

Good Luck, but I can almost feel your wallet quivering from here!

Spending some time today looking through the interweb, it looks like it definitely is the variocam actuator which is a big expensive job, oh well, ive had loads of trouble free motoring 204k miles, so I suppose it’s allowed to be poorly every now and again.

Archived