986 value with bad engine

smit572

Happy new year to all.

Hi unfortunately bad end to 2019 the engine appears to have died on my 986 , gutted is an understatement. Weighing up my options and wondered if anyone could advise of rough value of car with bad engine .

Car is a 2003 facelift in silver , had full service history and only 54,000 miles with the following options

-bose With 6 CD player 

-PSM

-heated leather seats with Porsche crest

-17inch booster wheels

Car was in outstanding condition with excellent bodywork and interior.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not entirely sure , started car all Fine, went to pull away and rumbling noises , stopped took of aux belt as assumes bad bearing on water pump etc ,started car again and rumbling still there then engine went twang . 
checked filter found small metal particles ) not to many but enough to know not to start it again)

love the car got loads of history and had it 3 years can’t make my mind up if to fix or but my losses !!

2 minutes ago, smit572 said:

Not entirely sure , started car all Fine, went to pull away and rumbling noises , stopped took of aux belt as assumes bad bearing on water pump etc ,started car again and rumbling still there then engine went twang . 
checked filter found small metal particles ) not to many but enough to know not to start it again)

love the car got loads of history and had it 3 years can’t make my mind up if to fix or but my losses !!

No experience but sounds like IMS bearing gave way.  That usually destroys the engine but perhaps you caught it before any collateral damage? 

10 minutes ago, smit572 said:

Annoyingly I purchased this car as it had history of IMS being replaced in 2013 at 37,000 miles , but yes sounds like IMS

Interesting. So perhaps not IMS.  Well worth further inspection before making a decision.

Alternatively, your experience could confirm a concern of mine (and others) about swapping the IMS bearing.  The experience of the person doing the swap, the replacement bearing used and the condition of the block into which the bearing is being put all impact on the long term success of the swap. Do you know the details of the swap?

Ouch !! Evaluate what it’s worth to you and then either repair or drop another engine and or break for spares or offer it out there as a non runner. But must of been a bummer to have heard that as in a brown trouser moment

4 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Interesting. So perhaps not IMS.  Well worth further inspection before making a decision.

Alternatively, your experience could confirm a concern of mine (and others) about swapping the IMS bearing.  The experience of the person doing the swap, the replacement bearing used and the condition of the block into which the bearing is being put all impact on the long term success of the swap. Do you know the details of the swap?

Again a point I was going to make

Rotten luck. 

We can all speculate but better to have someone look at it properly then decide. 

Selling as a non runner is probably 2-2.5k. Breaking could be 4K but may take you some months to get there. Replacement engine I think 2-3k, not sure, but will depend a lot on how much you can do yourself. 

I think I offerered my empathy on FB as I had a very similar experience but I did get mine to a good indy for investigation without cost. Unfortunatly its going to cost a bit for you just to transport and investigate the damage and cost to repair. I can concur with all the other comments here on values  Best of luck going forward.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Rotten luck. 

We can all speculate but better to have someone look at it properly then decide. 

Selling as a non runner is probably 2-2.5k. Breaking could be 4K but may take you some months to get there. Replacement engine I think 2-3k, not sure, but will depend a lot on how much you can do yourself. 

I fix most things myself and my mate is a mechanic so my initial thoughts were to take engine out and send of for quote.

at the moment I’m a little disheartened And have no interest in fixing it , this may change so not making any rush decisions.

even thought about selling it for what I can get and buying a Audi TT , but then came to my senses 😂😂😂

Just now, Senna said:

I know 

it’s a bloody nightmare on this site. 
You need to upload to Flickr or something like that 

17 minutes ago, smit572 said:

Hi I have tried but can’t post photos I’m afraid it won’t allow me 

If it’s worth saving then save it. 
breaking it is hell!

Bad luck but buying an Audi TT sounds like you are still dumbstruck not coming to your senses! 

26 minutes ago, smit572 said:

.....at the moment I’m a little disheartened And have no interest in fixing it , this may change so not making any rush decisions.

Been in ^^this^^ place a couple of times with my 986.

Given myself a bit of time then went back and sorted the problem. As soon as it wasn’t the original engine there was no way it was going to go back to “Factory” and I’ve had a blast tweaking it since then. 

So my experience suggests put it to one side then get it properly inspected and go from there. 

All the Best for the right outcome for you. 

map

Host pics on imgur, or if you want PM me your email address and you can send them to me and i'll be happy to do it for you. Horrible start to the year, you are doing the right thing though in weighing your options and not making a decision rashly. From the description it sounds a lovely car and that you have been very unlucky.

That’s a terrible start to 2020, but goes to show that low mileage well maintained cars are not necessarily a better buy than high milers, mines done 207000 with same engine gearbox and clutch, I just think you’ve been unlucky, don’t be put off fixing or replacing with another Boxster.

If the car is well sorted other than your issue and flog it on , one way or another, and buy a replacement, you could end up spending as much to sort out as repairing yours in the first place... Just a thought?

Archived