Rattly wind deflector

Ninesomething

24 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Or draft excluder foam (sticky one side). But OPC do a "repair kit" - all the bits and pieces (clips etc.) known to have solved the issue previously.

Yup re OPC repair kit, had it applied to mine on vehicle purchase and fixed the rattly issue I had. Ballpark £50 from memory but check with OPC if interested.

I bought new fixing rubbers for mine and it still rattled.   Until it flies out at 80 mph and landed on the road !   

ive bought another one but I can’t tell any difference in driving it at all so I’ve not fitted it. 

it’s a rubbish design as it’s too flimsy and is removed by unclipping towards the back of the car !   Same direction as the air floor when you’re on the move.  

50 minutes ago, sa utah said:

it’s a rubbish design as it’s too flimsy and is removed by unclipping towards the back of the car !   Same direction as the air floor when you’re on the move.  

I think you'll find that the air flow is from the back of the car going forward and is actually pushing the wind deflector into position.

24 minutes ago, Boxob said:

I think you'll find that the air flow is from the back of the car going forward and is actually pushing the wind deflector into position.

Correct. The fast air flowing over the windscreen  curls back around over the rear boot towards the lower pressure air in the cabin. You can see the window blowing the hair forward in the first part of this video:

https://youtu.be/YokPn010VmY

Still didn’t blow the deflector Ito the cabin though did it.  
move had loads of convertibles over the years and the deflector in the987 is the worst of all of them.  Like I said it makes zero difference as for as I can tell when driving.   

More info on aerodynamics of convertibles in general:

4 minutes ago, sa utah said:

Still didn’t blow the deflector Ito the cabin though did it

Not had any trouble with mine. Stupid question, but was the bottom grove mated with the bump in the bodywork?

You’re obviously not driving fast enough if you’ve had no problems.     I’ve got my Boxster and look after a friends and hers is exactly the same.  Rattles at speed.  It’s just too flexible

the Mx5 I have had a tiny webbed plastic deflector which makes a huge difference in the cabin.  Subs having some holes or slots cut into the Porsche one would help.  I’ve got a small CNC machine so might give it a go.  

like I said it makes non difference as far as I can tell. It was 5 degrees here yesterday and I had the roof down all day.  

18 hours ago, Gutley said:

Correct. The fast air flowing over the windscreen  curls back around over the rear boot towards the lower pressure air in the cabin. You can see the window blowing the hair forward in the first part of this video:

https://youtu.be/YokPn010VmY

If only I had hair to blow forwards......

Had the same issue, upon investigation it was noted the Perspex (?) sheet its made from had distorted slightly and put in a slight curve, when pulled straight it tightened in the mounts and did not vibrate. My solution was to purchase a length of aluminium U shape extrusion that was a tight fit over the top of the edge, cut it to fit including edge chamfers and painted satin black, applied double sided tap into the inner U and forced it over the perspex, this straightened it, reinforced it and stopped any rattling, no noise now above 90+.

I will load up a picture if your interested.

Archived