Expertise invited

Chase27

I wouldn't get hung up on carplay and reverse camera. You can fit that for £300 or less. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Dazzevans said:

That was a great read, Mike and provides food for thought. I am looking at two 986s at present, one is a manual 3.2S in the low £5,000s but no IMS replacement but has front and rear cameras and Apple Play! The other is a 3.2S tip in the upper £6000 but has had an engine rebuild (IMS, deep clean, seals bearings gaskets etc), alignment, brake fluid change, recent Michelen tyres, new front shocks 3000 miles ago and more. I am torn between the two.

Have you driven both?  Did you check the porsche codes for options fitted to the car?

3 minutes ago, wolverinemac said:

Have you driven both?  Did you check the porsche codes for options fitted to the car?

No I haven't been able to travel to them since lockdown as they were too far away. The auto has BOSE and on-board computer from what I recall. I have asked them for the codes if the sticker is still there. Is there any other way of finding out? He has just sent me through some photos of the underside of the car and it looks really clean; brakes pipes don't show any signs of corrosion for example.

It's not the easy to see and photograph  parts of the brake pipes that are a concern. It's the bits that are hidden that corrode. 

I think OBC control is relatively simple to install (£300?).  Bose doesn't sound great and actually makes it more difficult to upgrade the sound system.

9 minutes ago, Dazzevans said:

No I haven't been able to travel to them since lockdown as they were too far away. The auto has BOSE and on-board computer from what I recall. I have asked them for the codes if the sticker is still there. Is there any other way of finding out? He has just sent me through some photos of the underside of the car and it looks really clean; brakes pipes don't show any signs of corrosion for example.

If they are happy to supply the Chasis Number, There are guys in here that can decode it.  Post some pictures in your wanted section, we can give you some views on the 2 cars.

31 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I think OBC control is relatively simple to install (£300?).  Bose doesn't sound great and actually makes it more difficult to upgrade the sound system.

If you DIY you can do cruise control and OBC for under £400 on an earlier car and less on later cars ('01 onward IIRC).  There are good How To guides for both.

2 hours ago, Dazzevans said:

That was a great read, Mike and provides food for thought. I am looking at two 986s at present, one is a manual 3.2S in the low £5,000s but no IMS replacement but has front and rear cameras and Apple Play! The other is a 3.2S tip in the upper £6000 but has had an engine rebuild (IMS, deep clean, seals bearings gaskets etc), alignment, brake fluid change, recent Michelen tyres, new front shocks 3000 miles ago and more. I am torn between the two.

The second one sounds the more promising to me. But as others have said, best to get more details and post pics/links in your own thread so 986 experts can comment.

On 4/18/2020 at 9:34 AM, V6reu said:

Mine is a 2.7 and I love it , drove my mates 3.2 and can’t see much difference other than a bit more top end , but uses more fuel , if you want a 3.2 my mate will sell his at the right price 👍

How much does your mate want? ;)

Hi

When I bought my 2.7 Tip the other car up for consideration was a SMT MK3 MR2. The engines on those can (and often do) have a couple of fatal flaws including oval bores, and pre cats that end up in the engine. The difference is that it is a relatively cheap fix by switching the engine out. 

The Boxster is a much nicer and grown up car. Women tend not to like the MR2, while they LOVE the Boxster.

Boxsters are not cheap to maintain though. If you can do all the work yourself then its not sooooo bad.

All the best

Berni

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Chase27 said:

yep. Now for sale. Much cheapness...

The face lifts have two little "tabs" under the front bumper that help a lot at higher speeds.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, last week I took the plunge and bought my 2003 986S. It will no doubt involve frustration and inordinate expense but, if the last week is anything to go by, it will be worth it. What a super car. 75 smiles per gallon at least...

Chas Boxster.png

On 5/6/2020 at 11:00 PM, Chase27 said:

Thanks. This is very helpful as replies go. All the best!

On 4/20/2020 at 8:31 AM, Downsey said:

I can give some input on this...

I had a 1991 Mk2 MR2 with the 3SGE (2lt N/A) engine and loved it. After a couple of years I got fed up of the lack of power, so transplanted the 3SGTE (2lt Turbo) engine into it. Wow, it totally transformed the car and it was a joy to drive again.

Fast forward to now, and I have a 2003 Boxster S Tiptronic, which has the 3.2lt engine.

The difference between the MR2 (Even with the 3SGTE) and the Boxster is night and day. Admittedly the Boxster is a newer car, but at 17 years old; my MR2 was the same age when I had it.

The Boxster is a much much much more refined car. The handling is far far superior, and the performance from the engine leaves the MR2 in its wake. Boxster is a much more stable; well balanced car that you can easily drive harder without the back end swinging around on you.

My advice, definitely test a few Boxsters for yourself, but you’ll quickly agree with what I’ve said.

Now, as for the 2.7 vs 3.2 debate, I weighed up the two before I purchased. I did all the research I could on here and FB pages. I didn’t actually drive a 2.7, as came to the reality check that if I bought a 2.7 I would always look at the 3.2’s and think ‘should I have got one of those’, after all, it’s not just the engine that’s better - they have the ‘S’ on the boot too!!

Whatever you decide, if you do buy a Boxster you won’t regret it. They are fantastic sports cars.

I agree with all of this! Thanks

18 hours ago, Chase27 said:

Well, last week I took the plunge and bought my 2003 986S. It will no doubt involve frustration and inordinate expense but, if the last week is anything to go by, it will be worth it. What a super car. 75 smiles per gallon at least...

Chas Boxster.png

Looks a cracker!

how you find it so far compared to the MR2?

16 minutes ago, Downsey said:

Looks a cracker!

I imagine he looks in the same spot he used to park the ‘yota☺️

18 hours ago, Chase27 said:

Chas Boxster.png

Looks fab in the picture, congrads.  

Somewhat shinier than most of the 986s I see on a regular basis 😀, I hope you enjoy driving it as much as said owners of not so shiny cars seem to.

10 hours ago, Greenman said:

Looks fab in the picture, congrads.  

Somewhat shinier than most of the 986s I see on a regular basis 😀, I hope you enjoy driving it as much as said owners of not so shiny cars seem to.

Well presented for sale, plenty of time to let it get dirty. Although it is is this good now a good time to consider ceramic coating?

On 6/20/2020 at 7:29 PM, Downsey said:

Looks a cracker!

Thanks

Very different, indeed:

- huge increase in grunt

- slight decrease in pointability,

- massive increase in high-speed stability

-very considerable increase in comfort

- much more focussed

- a completely different experience

- terrible ICE (Becker 23)

All in all, completely worth the money, except for the hifi.

On 6/21/2020 at 7:05 AM, ½cwt said:

Well presented for sale, plenty of time to let it get dirty. Although it is is this good now a good time to consider ceramic coating?

I shall use my largest book to see what that means

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Porsche spent money developing the drivability then looked down the sofa for ICE. Many suggestions here on how to upgrade. Do you have door speakers?

Tesla have been accused of spending everything on their drivetrain with wipers, lights, waterproofing, paint, shut lines and panel alignment etc taking a back seat so it's not all bad :laugh:

Archived