Headlight restoration 986 Boxster

Cheddar Bob

Hello everyone,

My first post :)

I am a new Boxster owner. I own a 2004 2.7 Boxster. Perhaps I haven't searched correctly, but I couldn't find a post about headlight restoration. 

Anyway, my Boxster had badly pitted headlights. Here is a photo of them before and after. The ones with masking tape are before:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Spib5nk1vm6WWhDG9

I used Autoglym restoration kit. It was exceptionally easy to do. 

Here is the video I used to teach me:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=autoglym+headlight+restoration+youtube&docid=608040306444471124&mid=C92EE379956BCBE21803C92EE379956BCBE21803&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

• Like 1

Welcome. Headlight restoration posts are made from time to time, in fact there was one quite recently. Looks like you got a good result. Are you pleased? Bodywork next?

My terrible searching then! I thought this would have been covered.

Yes I am pleased, I've ran out of sandpaper as they could do with smartening up a little more, but the difference is incredible.

No idea where to start with bodywork. I have a couple of 5p sized bonnet chips. I'll let a pro look at that when the covid-19 is over.

thanks for the replies. 

This is not the easiest forum to search @Cheddar Bob.  By the way, welcome to ownership of one of the best kept secrets out there.

I used the Autoglym kit on mine several months back and was pleased with the results too.  Go on get stuck in @the baron easy and cheap job and only takes an hour or so.

3 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Hello everyone,

My first post :)

I am a new Boxster owner.

Welcome Bob. See you're in Evesham so same neck of the woods as @John K. We'll let you make your own mind up whether that's a good thing or not! :laugh:

Edited by red rocket
  • Haha 1

Welcome, won't that process totally remove any UV protection that was on there previously? I t-cut mine once recently and it still had a bit of shyate on it, but I was reluctant to do another polish..

15 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

thank you for the welcome. Yes I live in a village just by Evesham. A chap in a blue Boxster waved at me yesterday.... *just checked and his is red. 

Welcome, but his is blue. 

I suggest you never wave back, stop to chat, or go driving with him 😂

In fact, I suggest you move house! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, GmanB said:

Welcome, won't that process totally remove any UV protection that was on there previously? I t-cut mine once recently and it still had a bit of shyate on it, but I was reluctant to do another polish..

The polishing kits come with a liquid UV protector to use once polished that stops them fading again

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Some polishing kits come with a liquid UV protector to use once polished that stops them fading again

CFA

Auto Glym's doesn't.

10 hours ago, GmanB said:

They were knackered anyway before I started. I guess I could keep doing it until the lenses disappear altogether... 

Alternatively, a bit of clear vinyl might do the trick 

The 3M headlight kit comes with everything you need to attach to a electric drill or screwdriver. ( I know others exist, but I am bias)

I've have even posted previously an Amazon discount code.

General tips - mask up the edges of your paintwork and don't get the lens plastic hot - regular sprits with water will help prevent just keep the moving rather than stop in one place.

On 4/27/2020 at 2:30 PM, Patt said:

The 3M headlight kit comes with everything you need to attach to a electric drill or screwdriver. ( I know others exist, but I am bias)

I've have even posted previously an Amazon discount code.

General tips - mask up the edges of your paintwork and don't get the lens plastic hot - regular sprits with water will help prevent just keep the moving rather than stop in one place.

If I was me I would remove the headlights altogether when working on them. 

Always marvelled at what a feat of engineering the headlights are. 

2 minutes ago, EXY said:

If I was me I would remove the headlights altogether when working on them. 

Always marvelled at what a feat of engineering the headlights are. 

I thought this, however the car holds then a lot more steady while you work on them….

2 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I thought this, however the car holds then a lot more steady while you work on them….

Don't remove them completely then, they slide out a fair bit. 

Holding them steady is one thing but you shouldn't be applying much pressure anyway Gotta keep the heat down. 

Well done

I just use "T"cut and for a bad discolouration,  Solvol Autosol 

Finished with Autoglym plastic polish from my motorcycle cleaning kit.

I do this by hand ,so no masking tape required. 

After all we have plenty of time on our hands at the moment ;)

it's just like my days "bulling boots" again ,much the same technique with a little more finger pressure :lol:

Edited by stevemag

Hi I did mine with 800, then 1500, then 3000 wet and dry, then used the paste from one of the kits before spraying an acrylic lacquer to finish. They look pretty good, during the process you can see the original uv coating wearing away, it's a pretty tough coating. I'd suggest removing the lenses before starting to avoid getting anything on the bodywork

Steve 2004 Boxster 2.7 facelift

I'm doing my left hand headlight at the moment. Have run out of the correct grade of emery paper for now. I am on 1500 and still have a fair bit of cr*p on the lens to get rid of before I move on to the next level but it's starting to look really good. I had bought a spare light off eBay because I didn't feel like the faff but that has a burnt inside lens (which the photographs on eBay didn't show...). At least it means the car still has both headlights whilst I restore this one.

17 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

I'm doing my left hand headlight at the moment. Have run out of the correct grade of emery paper for now. I am on 1500 and still have a fair bit of cr*p on the lens to get rid of before I move on to the next level but it's starting to look really good. I had bought a spare light off eBay because I didn't feel like the faff but that has a burnt inside lens (which the photographs on eBay didn't show...). At least it means the car still has both headlights whilst I restore this one.

I also ran out of paper. Ordered some more and I'll continue with this soon 

For what it's worth the lenses look quite milky until you get the cutting paste on them, that's after the 3000 wet and dry. I suspect you could use hob cleaner as a cutting paste, it looks and feels the same. Then it's the acrylic spray that really puts the shine back and gives the uv protection.