Design 911 v OPC

the baron

Both my sun visor mirror flaps have broken and need to be replaced,  just this housing can be replaced which consists of the mirror and flap housing, looking on eBay you have to buy the complete visor and you don't really know what your buying so decided to just replace the mirror unit.

Looking on line Design911.com is selling them for £117  plus VAT plus postage each so total cost is in the region of £300 😳

My OPC in Swindon with my PCGB member discount comes to in total inc of VAT and postage £150, still expensive but half the price, Ive ordered them, I will always try my OPC first as they seem to be cheaper than most other places for a lot of things. 

Not sure how these guys stay in business.

11 minutes ago, the baron said:

Not sure how these guys stay in business.

I suspect they rely on their customers not bothering to check prices at an OPC, and most people assuming (wrongly) that an OPC will be horrendously expensive compared to anywhere else.

Yep always worth trying OPC first but :

- they often hold items in stock that an OPC does not (eg I got rear boot mat delivered within 3 days when OPC's where closed)

- they are not always more expensive, depends on the item

- they offer "aftermarket" options eg on brakes and pads ......I ended up sourcing my Brembo H2000 Ceramic pads from them as they where the cheapest suppleir in the country for my car.

- you can get a 5% discount forum code (not sure if this forum has one but "911UK09" gives a 5% discount on checkout

As always shop around and don't discount OPC's ......nb OPC's will deliver as well normally for a small fee   

I used D911 when I first bought my Boxster as a one stop shop with combination of OE and aftermarket options thinking that OPC would be dear, however have found my OPC to be fair, very helpful and give 10% without question, even thought the part is more expensive than you might want it to be for genuine Porsche.  Bonus is a cross country drive (costs fuel I know) but no postage.  I'm happy to use a combination of the most cost effective suppliers (OPC, D911, onlincarparts.co.uk/Autodoc, EPC, breakers) for parts of a 20 year old car but it takes time to build up a list and confidence in the ones you then use regularly.  Certainly info about suppliers on here helps.

As always it pays to shop around. 

I like the convenience of D911, though I've only really purchased small relatively inexpensive service type parts from them. 

Never have, and probably never will use an opc. 

43 minutes ago, the baron said:

No their not, they buy direct from OPC and add on 100% markup 😳

sorry, just kidding. Douglas valley is a very useful breaker though. I have had some good used kit out of there. Fair prices!

18 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

sorry, just kidding. Douglas valley is a very useful breaker though. I have had some good used kit out of there. Fair prices!

Ive bought a few things from DV, always good stuff, quick delivery and well packaged and a decent price to boot, but in this case I needed new so it was OPC, still cant get over D911 price.

1 hour ago, the baron said:

Ive bought a few things from DV, always good stuff, quick delivery and well packaged and a decent price to boot, but in this case I needed new so it was OPC, still cant get over D911 price.

At least Di.ck Turpin wore a Mask😷

37 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

At least Di.ck Turpin wore a Mask😷

The Internet IS one big mask!  You can be whatever you want to be behind it.

I sometimes use Eurospares.  They are a bit more expensive than my nearest OPC (Silverstone) but you can browse the full parts catalogue and purchase online.

I find ordering parts from an OPC mostly painful and can only do it in person or telephone, parts guy is never available, seldomly calls back and often know best and send a completely different item despite me giving the correct part number.

2 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

I sometimes use Eurospares.  They are a bit more expensive than my nearest OPC (Silverstone) but you can browse the full parts catalogue and purchase online.

I find ordering parts from an OPC mostly painful and can only do it in person or telephone, parts guy is never available, seldomly calls back and often know best and send a completely different item despite me giving the correct part number.

Doesn't sound like the version of Silverstone Porsche I'm dealing with.  Jordan Knight is the contact I have there working by email is pretty successful and if necessary I use snips from the  full 986 catalogue I have in PDF format (can be downloaded from either Porsche website or D911 website). I do agree that over the phone it can be frustrating, but by email is fine.

I think everyone gets a slightly different service from the same business and you are only ever as good as your last delivery, last order... 

I have been expecting an increased price for things given the badge on the car, but I haven't yet called an OPC as I've naturally been intimidated by their exceptionally fancy buildings. Particularly the one at Tewkesbury M5 roundabout...puts me off thinking it will be very expensive. Perhaps a phone call for parts wouldn't hurt. 

Just now, Cheddar Bob said:

I think everyone gets a slightly different service from the same business and you are only ever as good as your last delivery, last order... 

I have been expecting an increased price for things given the badge on the car, but I haven't yet called an OPC as I've naturally been intimidated by their exceptionally fancy buildings. Particularly the one at Tewkesbury M5 roundabout...puts me off thinking it will be very expensive. Perhaps a phone call for parts wouldn't hurt. 

My initial OPC approach was just to walk in and innocently ask for parts and then ask what they could to to support an owner of a (at the time) 18 year old car.  Broke the ice nicely as it showed them as being able to help rather than being expect to give a service and now I work pretty much by email. I think if you show you've a modicum of technical or parts knowledge and don't expect them to do all the leg work they should work with you.  If they are part of Classic Porsche (my local one isn't)you should have few issues.  Don't be intimidate they are just another supplier but they have to look glossy for the big budget car they sell and the buyers of those car pay for the gloss.

I can't think of one positive experience with Silverstone OPC including parts, new & used cars and even test drives during my 9 years of Porsche ownership. 

Been meaning to try Leicester OPC, they cant be any worse.

Wilmslow OPC on the occasions I have used them have been surprised in a good way on prices and the sales youth is very helpful having owned and run Boxsters.

32 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

My initial OPC approach was just to walk in and innocently ask for parts and then ask what they could to to support an owner of a (at the time) 18 year old car.  Broke the ice nicely as it showed them as being able to help rather than being expect to give a service and now I work pretty much by email. I think if you show you've a modicum of technical or parts knowledge and don't expect them to do all the leg work they should work with you.  If they are part of Classic Porsche (my local one isn't)you should have few issues.  Don't be intimidate they are just another supplier but they have to look glossy for the big budget car they sell and the buyers of those car pay for the gloss.

I'll take a visit one day for a nosey :)

3 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

I can't think of one positive experience with Silverstone OPC including parts, new & used cars and even test drives during my 9 years of Porsche ownership.

I don't recall many good comments about Silverstone on here. Others seem to get better reviews.

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Doesn't sound like the version of Silverstone Porsche I'm dealing with.  Jordan Knight is the contact I have there working by email is pretty successful and if necessary I use snips from the  full 986 catalogue I have in PDF format (can be downloaded from either Porsche website or D911 website). I do agree that over the phone it can be frustrating, but by email is fine.

I have to agree. since buying the Anniversary last year I have extensively used Silverstone and dealt with Jordan. Using the parts catalogue and chassis number Jordan is always able to confirm if my choice of part is right and if not what the correct part number is. Price is always very competitive. The right approach in the first place and building a rapport works wonders.  

12 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I don't recall many good comments about Silverstone on here. Others seem to get better reviews.

There was a change in staff in the parts department about 12 months ago, I believe, plus they have had quite a lot of redevelopment construction work on site so now have improved facilities for all departments.  Perhaps this is paying off. 

OPCs are so sparse that it is tricky to try another unless you live midway between two or three, it is a 55 mile round trip for me to Silverstone Porsche (but convenient as I often drive past for work and it close to my parents so can combine trips easily), 70 miles round to Leicester and 90 miles round to Cambridge so I imagine it is a lot further in other parts of the country.

Tell you what that's mental! 

I did wonder how people managed to get PSE fitted at an OPC for less than you could buy aftermarket at D911 

Bit of an eye opener. I've never check directly with Porsche for prices on things. 

Cheers 

My 986 was supplied new by Silverstone Porsche, when I last went to Northampton I called in to see if they could help with some history on it, they could not have been more helpful,

Archived