Body part

Tritonkev

I'm sure it's integral to the design, but how annoying is that part??? It just seems to attract dirt, generally looks manky and out of place. It almost looks like they didn't make the clam shell long enough. 

It has a part number 986 504 862 00.

The top bit that's painted seems to  be removable from the bottom piece which looks like its riveted to the body. This bit is also removable but would probably need the rivets drill etc. That's my interpretation of the parts diagram anyway.

It's a horrible looking piece and looks like a real afterthought. It's disappeared from 987 versions onwards so Porsche can't have been that keen either.

Oh dear.......

So much disdain and anger for a seemingly innocuous component 🤦‍♂️

It is the cover for the B pillar mount used by the genius that is the Porsche Roof Transport System (RTS) 

Like this:

0X1azul.jpg

If you’re determined to remove it for whatever reason it simply eases out, by using a broad flat edge under the outer edge to gently lift it straight up. A trim remover is ideal.

Imagine Porsche decided to remove that ace piece of functionality when their engineers realised that any post 986 Boxster would be a princess car destined to be polished and used as little as possible 😂

2 hours ago, map said:

Oh dear.......

So much disdain and anger for a seemingly innocuous component 🤦‍♂️

It is the cover for the B pillar mount used by the genius that is the Porsche Roof Transport System (RTS) 

Like this:

0X1azul.jpg

If you’re determined to remove it for whatever reason it simply eases out, by using a broad flat edge under the outer edge to gently lift it straight up. A trim remover is ideal.

Imagine Porsche decided to remove that ace piece of functionality when their engineers realised that any post 986 Boxster would be a princess car destined to be polished and used as little as possible 😂

Just love the RTS on a hardtop, just looks so right, I'm still on the look out for the RTS but they are rarer then hens teeth.

22 minutes ago, the baron said:

Just love the RTS on a hardtop, just looks so right, I'm still on the look out for the RTS but they are rarer then hens teeth.

The RTS/hardtop combo gets a generally positive response - especially with skis and poles on top.

The few naysayers cannot be heard once I’m driving away.....

As you say hard to find - it’s essential that when you do uncover one you make absolutely certain all the parts are included as there are some funky shapes and fasteners needed. 

Happy to help anyone about to push the button on buying a RTS with a set of reference photos. 

17 minutes ago, map said:

The RTS/hardtop combo gets a generally positive response - especially with skis and poles on top.

The few naysayers cannot be heard once I’m driving away.....

As you say hard to find - it’s essential that when you do uncover one you make absolutely certain all the parts are included as there are some funky shapes and fasteners needed. 

Happy to help anyone about to push the button on buying a RTS with a set of reference photos. 

If I ever find one I'll take you up on your offer, out of interest where did you get your RTS from and how much did you pay and did it come in the case?

1 hour ago, the baron said:

If I ever find one I'll take you up on your offer, out of interest where did you get your RTS from and how much did you pay and did it come in the case?

Just shout as and when. 

Found the RTS about 10/11 years ago - there were a few available at the time - fortunately it was local and so an easy collection. 

Genuinely cannot remember what it cost but imagine it was a lot less than someone might pay today. 

I didn’t get a case for the arms and bars (is there one?) but there’s one for the fittings including the original toolset, installation guide and protective cardboard slips. 

As a piece of engineering in its own right I think it’s great - installed and as you say it it’s brilliant. Proper Porsche everyday usability. 

8 hours ago, the baron said:

still on the look out for the RTS but they are rarer then hens teeth.

By chance i spotted this yesterday

https://teile.com/en/porsche-parts-shop/model-boxster-986/5/body-parts/811-sunroof-targa-and-convertible-top-hardtop/52/811-05-convertible-top/roof-transport-system/15470

29 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Wow, that's a good find, I'll see if its still available, many thanks for posting the link

6 minutes ago, the baron said:

Ive sent an email to them, but am a little nervous pulling the trigger due to all the bad reviews and suspected fraud (see link below), anybody had any dealings @red rocket ?

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/teile-profis.de

Looks like a different supplier. Teile.com means parts.com. teile-profis means parts professionals.

Without, i hope, confusing you the teile.com website looks very professional with full addresses, vat numbers etc etc. Have often looked at the site but not had cause to buy. 

14 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Looks like a different supplier. Teile.com means parts.com. teile-profis means parts professionals.

Without, i hope, confusing you the teile.com website looks very professional with full addresses, vat numbers etc etc. Have often looked at the site but not had cause to buy. 

Good spot, Ill see if they reply and if so buy through PayPal, once again thanks for the link, have been looking for a long time to get an RTS as I do mountain biking and skiing so if the land rovers is not available Im still able to do stuff, along with potentially attaching a roof box for my trips down to the S. France. 

Hopefully they are genuine. 👍

1 hour ago, the baron said:

Wow, that's a good find, I'll see if its still available, many thanks for posting the link

Steve.  Took a look at this and running the quoted part number in a search, it looks like a bracket for the hard top storage trolley system to store the RTS on the hard top trolley.  If I'm wrong it looks stunningly cheap.

Archived