Beauty v Beast

Pordave

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/16/2020 at 9:48 AM, Menoporsche said:

Yeah, coz the internal combustion engine is really bleeding edge...:rolleyes:

Teslas are awesome and I want one.  Not to replace the Boxster but to supplement it.

^ this

20 hours ago, SDF1965 said:

I do wonder what a 20 year old Tesla will be like.... 

obsolete like your typical phone after 10 years?

i.e. no longer supported, maybe charging cables no longer fitting chargers or not being compatibe in other ways?

bulit in obsolecence ala Apple?

14 minutes ago, EXY said:

Hold onto your potatoes there is another one on the horizon ;)

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/roadster

yeah thats an everyday car!

...think I'd have 2 Taycans for the same money (or one and a 911 GTS ;) )

Base Specs
Acceleration 0-60 mph 1.9 sec
Acceleration 0-100 mph 4.2 sec
Acceleration 1/4 mile 8.8 sec
Top Speed Over 250 mph
Wheel Torque 10,000 Nm
Mile Range 620 miles
Seating 4
Drive All-Wheel Drive
Base Reservation £38,000
Founders Series Reservation (1,000 reservations available) £189,000

Having stirred up a bit of a debate over my topic ‘Beauty v Beast’  it appears to me that from the days of the horse and cart and subsequent progression to steam,  ICE and now towards electric cars the main factor for change is wealth. So if you are well off, on the way up, or have the choice of a tax efficient company car you will always go one up on what you had last and some of us are lucky enough to have two, a horse and cart for everyday use and a thoroughbred for the weekend. However the Tesla appears to tick rather more than one box!

Let the debate continue.

Dave

18 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

^ this

obsolete like your typical phone after 10 years?

i.e. no longer supported, maybe charging cables no longer fitting chargers or not being compatibe in other ways?

bulit in obsolecence ala Apple?

yeah thats an everyday car!

...think I'd have 2 Taycans for the same money (or one and a 911 GTS ;) )

Base Specs
Acceleration 0-60 mph 1.9 sec
Acceleration 0-100 mph 4.2 sec
Acceleration 1/4 mile 8.8 sec
Top Speed Over 250 mph
Wheel Torque 10,000 Nm
Mile Range 620 miles
Seating 4
Drive All-Wheel Drive

THAT IS A SPORTS CAR ;)

The only person I know with a Tesla charges it from a 13A socket :laugh:

I got done by a Nissan Leaf, fair dues,  I didn't know he was going to gun it and he was up on two wheels to stay in front but still impressive.

On another Note (hee hee) when did ICE stop being in car entertainment and become (presumably) internal combustion engine? I am sure I was part of a thread on TLAs' at some point, fekkin hate em.

On 6/17/2020 at 6:10 AM, K.I.T.T. said:

@bagss2 passed him in a straight line, once...

And had time to wave, uncustomary as it was for him to exhibit such gentlemanly behaviour.

I am stuck in the past and love older cars. My new Boxster at a mere 19 years old is relatively new compared to the 80s front engined Porsches and classic minis that I have previously had.

However, that Tesla Roadster looks insane! Only ever going to be a lottery win purchase, however I already have upwards of 50 cars I have promised myself should I win said lottery. Man it needs to be a big win!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Porsche2063 said:

I am stuck in the past and love older cars. My new Boxster at a mere 19 years old is relatively new compared to the 80s front engined Porsches and classic minis that I have previously had.

However, that Tesla Roadster looks insane! Only ever going to be a lottery win purchase, however I already have upwards of 50 cars I have promised myself should I win said lottery. Man it needs to be a big win!!!!!!!

I think that needs a picture or two....interested to see what you have

On 6/24/2020 at 3:20 PM, Stuart21UK said:

I think that needs a picture or two....interested to see what you have

Unfortunately all sold now.

1999 Red Boxster 2.5 written off in Feb

1982 white Porsche 924

1983 white Porsche 924

1975 mark 3 mini 850

1978 Mini Clubman

1988 Mini Mayfair

1989 Mini Mayfair (heavily modified)

1998 Rover Mini Cooper

Unfortunately nothing exciting or fancy but I loved them all!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 12:33 PM, Davey P said:

Yeah, but he will never be able to sell it with that much mileage on the clock..... :lol:

The original 'starship mileage' perhaps :)

What I can never understand is why the roof (and bonnet and boot for that matter) of electric cars aren't made of solar cells. Drive to the office and by evening you have enough free charge to drive home. Also if you wanted to drive a decent distance your range would be increased which is a bigger selling point. Not as though the technology is expensive these days.

They would have to drag me kicking & screaming to get me out of my current garage and in to a Tesla !!

No disrespect to those who own one, I just think they are Fugly & Dull, a middle class new age Mondeo.

Even the Taycan does nothing for me!

Put the Battery driven motor in something that actually looks pleasing to the eye & I’ll be interested.

Has anyone priced up replacement batteries when they suddenly stop functioning?????

If/ when my 3.2 goes bang. I would seriously consider looking at the cost of replacing it with an electric engine. Hopefully by the time that happens the cost of them will have dropped significantly 

1 hour ago, r1flyguy said:

Has anyone priced up replacement batteries when they suddenly stop functioning?????

I read that replacement Tesla batteries are $40,000 but subsidised so they cost $10,000.  I do wonder though, when the cars are 10-12 years old and in need of batteries, who is going to spend $10,000 (or maybe more if the subsidy is reduced) on what will then be old technology let alone an older car.

I don't want to get in heated debates on electrification topics, just get the record straight. Just a few pointers:

- The warranty for my current model (Tesla 3) is 8 years or 100,000 miles

- Model 3 drive unit & body is designed like a commercial truck for a million mile life. Current battery modules should last 300k to 500k miles (1500 cycles). Replacing modules (not pack) will only cost $5k to $7k.

- Tesla is working on a million-mile battery, which their supplier CATL already announced

- There are frequent reports of high mile vehicles where overall maintenance costs (including replacement batteries) are 3-4 times less than a normal car

- There is after life for most used batteries, either up to 90% recycled, refurbished or moved into electricity storage. (where energy useable percentage is less important than installation cost per kWh)

They're not really "suddenly stop functioning", I don't think :)

54 minutes ago, j0hn said:

They're not really "suddenly stop functioning", I don't think :)

The proof is in the pudding I think in regards to longevity & replacement costs...

Im still not sold however you sugar coat the costs/miles etc Until we have hard facts from long term owners.

I still think they are Fugly 🤣

1 hour ago, j0hn said:

- Model 3 drive unit & body is designed like a commercial truck for a million mile life. Current battery modules should last 300k to 500k miles (1500 cycles). Replacing modules (not pack) will only cost $5k to $7k.

:)

In fairness my $10,000 was from research I did a while back on the Model S. Good the see the Model 3 battery price is less. However it seems the Model S price has increased. 2019 figure reported at $12,000 or you can buy on Ebay a secondhand 2016 s75 battery pack for £14,000 or a 2015 s85 pack for £17,000!

Still wondering @j0hn how appealing it'll be to spend $5-7k (or more for an S) on a replacement battery to fit to a car which will be 8 or more years old with corresponding technology and probably high mileage? 

I like the idea but this is the issue I can't get beyond to commit.

Archived