Beauty v Beast

Pordave

Anyone had anything similar to this happen?

Just been out for an early evening drive in Derbyshire..... the suns shining the cars running beautifully with the top down you drop to third and hear the engine note rise, you hit 4,000 rpm+ and all is well and WHOOSH you are made to look positively stationary by an effing Tesla.

A fast car of yesteryear annihilated by a set of batteries and 20 years of technological improvement but not looks!

PS.  I still prefer the sound of a flat 6 anyday!

Dave

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A mate has just taken of a Tesla 3 Dual Motor... as a commuter/daily driver it’s hard to beat, virtually costs nothing to charge, good network of superchargers, and the acceleration is bonkers... but it’s not a car you feel connected with.

He still has his series 1 Elise for those times when he wants to really enjoy driving for the hell of it...

54 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Yes and they will be compromised by the length of there extension lead!!!!

I don't know, Boxster S range about 325 miles, Tesla about 275, not so different, but it does take a bit longer to 'fill' the Tesla.

59 minutes ago, Dazzevans said:

And their technology will be out of date in 5 years!

Yeah, coz the internal combustion engine is really bleeding edge...:rolleyes:

Teslas are awesome and I want one.  Not to replace the Boxster but to supplement it.

Hi

I have nothing against Teslas. I haven't owned one, but if you press them hard do they not reduce power because of heat issues? And the battery range gets killed?

But yes the technology is the future for sure. I prefer the past though.

Berni

Not sure @j0hn will agree with some of the comments and he did do a fine job of leading 8 Boxsters round Exmoor on Sunday.

Personally I'm not keen on electric cars and I still think the Tesla looks like a big Mondeo. But each to his own.

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Yeah, coz the internal combustion engine is really bleeding edge...:rolleyes:

Teslas are awesome and I want one.  Not to replace the Boxster but to supplement it.

I feel you missed my point. Technology of the Internal Combustion Engine will not change dramatically any time soon , thus not get left behind. Charging and battery standards will.

18 hours ago, Pordave said:

Anyone had anything similar to this happen?

Just been out for an early evening drive in Derbyshire..... the suns shining the cars running beautifully with the top down you drop to third and hear the engine note rise, you hit 4,000 rpm+ and all is well and WHOOSH you are made to look positively stationary by an effing Tesla.

A fast car of yesteryear annihilated by a set of batteries and 20 years of technological improvement but not looks!

PS.  I still prefer the sound of a flat 6 anyday!

Dave

I’ve not been passed by a Tesla in the twisties. It’s truly answering a very different question. I’d love one as a daily and keep Boxstering for fun. 

if you need to go somewhere, that’s a Tesla Job🤓

when you want to go somewhere, that’s a 986 job😎

I admit it's not for everyone. Beauty is in the eye of beholder, and some people will sorely miss the exhaust sound.

But for more and more people it makes a wonderful proposition (if they can afford it). For me, it combined a 5 seater family car with plenty of boot, a calm motorway cruiser (yes it can munch the miles... 2h driving and 20min recharging stops) and a mini supercar. Cannot be more pleased with my decision, and won't be coming back to dino-juice any time soon!

27 minutes ago, map said:

What has passed you on the twisty road......?

if it was a Model 3 Performance, I can relate to that! :) it really sticks to the road, with the P4S'es and the low centre of gravity. In fact, anybody will be positively and massively surprised by the handling of these things, being already aware of acceleration and other advantages.

Fortunate enough to have a 986s and a Tesla Model 3, both great cars in their own way. The Boxster is involving and characterful , in my view looks great and given mine is approaching its 20th Birthday, in excellent shape . The Tesla is the the future, what a car, quick, quiet, comfortable and given I can access free charge points at work and within 20 minutes walk it has cost me precisely £6.80 to cover 980 miles. I have a home charger and have an Octopus Agile account, on occasion I am paid to charge the car...what could be better

@Pordave, having jumped from one car to the other...Tesla is just so much quicker but, you don’t get that Involvement of picking the right gear to match the revs, obviously not topless and I do wonder what a 20 year old Tesla will be like.... 

I think there are 8? Year old Model S around, people are still asking strong money for them. Assuming some sell at that price they can’t be that knackered. 

Haven’t they also logged some impressive lap times somewhere, IIRC they are not incapable round bends. 

Can well believe they are unexciting to drive. EXY has referred to his Leaf as white goods. 

1 hour ago, Cheddar Bob said:

There's lots of kudos required for the battery brigade. But I bet they miss certain sounds....

I think that's the point Bob, they don't miss certain sounds. I recently purchased a 10 year old Lexus hybrid, quiet, refined and comfortable, it's great to drive. The boxster is just a different beast. Enjoyment comes is many different guises.

As the next generation of car drivers come along the perceived qualities of what makes a great car will quickly change.

18 hours ago, Dazzevans said:

I feel you missed my point. Technology of the Internal Combustion Engine will not change dramatically any time soon , thus not get left behind. Charging and battery standards will.

I feel you missed mine. If you think the ICE won't get left behind, have a look at the establishment of low emissions zones in more and more big cities, and the total phasing out of the ICE by about 2030 as often talked about. Several 15 year old cars are now nearly worthless as a result.

Theres no question re benefits, performance, cost, practicality, running costs etc etc of the Tesla, but to my eyes its not a sports car, its a standard looking saloon with sports car performance, not ugly just a bit boring.

Combustion engine sports cars look like sports car, which inherently look great and sound good and is the complete package, bit like comparing apples and oranges not really comparable.

I think they look fairly bland for a reason. The performance from the electric cars now is an incredible leap forward, although remote control cars were electric many moons ago ;) (they also lasted 5 minutes.....)

Look at the development of the car since the boxster was invented, all the toys etc cars now come with. Those who can remember phones of old, it was still common place to be engaged about having the latest snake game on your nokia in 2005! The I-phone only appeared in 2007 (I think) and now look at what phones do....

I still can't see electric vehicles becoming common place anytime soon. if the internal combustion engine were stopped tomorrow, it would still be 20+ years before there would be a real difference. The infrastructure is not setup for the masses, the people aren't setup for electric. The ranges are similar when comparing a sports car to an electric cruiser, but you take my diesel seat with 600+ miles to a tank of fuel, with almost 200hp …. very difficult to compete with. (although diesel is the devils juice)

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I feel you missed mine. If you think the ICE won't get left behind, have a look at the establishment of low emissions zones in more and more big cities, and the total phasing out of the ICE by about 2030 as often talked about. Several 15 year old cars are now nearly worthless as a result.

Not at all. You're talking about infrastructure and restrictions, I was talking about the technology in the car. Chalk and cheese.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:48 AM, Menoporsche said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Wot'e said. 

18 hours ago, j0hn said:

I admit it's not for everyone. Beauty is in the eye of beholder, and some people will sorely miss the exhaust sound.

But for more and more people it makes a wonderful proposition (if they can afford it). 

IF and that's a BIG IF, you can afford it :(

14 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Can well believe they are unexciting to drive. EXY has referred to his Leaf as white goods. 

It's nick-name was the 'Fridge', maybe white wasn't such a good idea. 

Regarding looks, you can't see the outside when you're in it, Tesla's look like little else on the market (inside) and I for one think they are moving in the right direction. 

Archived