PSM ok to drive with care 🤯

mneil

Coming up the M1 this morning, car dropped out of cruise and had the warning

"PSM failure ok to drive".

Pulled in at the next service turned the car off, waited, started and was then as normal.

Just arrived at the strines run meeting place without further ado.

It  seems that the 981 will throw random unnecessary warnings from time to time.  I've had 'low oil level' and 'handbrake fault' both disappearing once the ignition has been cycled.    

I had a brake warning light come on for no reason that too went off after a 're start but as it is still under warranty I phoned Cardiff OPC and took it in anyway for them to check, they checked the breaking system and cleared the fault from the ecu memory and assured me there was nothing wrong with the breaks, but they couldn't give me a reason why it came on.

Guvs.

Weird. Just had the start stop deactivated warning triangle come up along with red warning light for airbag and seatbelt ?

Had a clean bill of health at its Mot on Thursday last week so will be taking it back to see what the underlying fault is. Will report back.

6 minutes ago, Chrisj1 said:

Weird. Just had the start stop deactivated warning triangle come up along with red warning light for airbag and seatbelt ?

Had a clean bill of health at its Mot on Thursday last week so will be taking it back to see what the underlying fault is. Will report back.

don't wish to alarm, @tony_zx9r had a host of similar faults. Turned out to be the airbag module 

So I changed the blown fuse. Turned on the ignition. No messages. Started the engine, and no messages ! Will be taking it for a spin to check that it’s fine during and after a run.

6 hours ago, Chrisj1 said:

Might be worth checking the battery, can be a source of random errors when on the way out. Stop/start being deactivated is another sign.

Had this a few weeks ago on my 718. Came on under hard acceleration but reset after stopping and starting engine again. Was in at OPC for a service and dealer found no stored codes or anything wrong.Same thing happened again. I pulled up the battery in the display and it was not fully charged, car had not been used for a couple of weeks and dashcam was off cig lighter so always live, a good run and battery fully charged, has not done it again.

Replaced the 5 amp fuse and took it for a 4 hour round trip and no problems to report. I’ll be taking a look at replacing that battery at the end of the summer.

Had  PSM Failure come up on way back from picking up car , also noticed brakes were sticking. Turned out to be Foot brake  Bush needed replacement. Aparantly a common problem.

12 hours ago, alank said:

Had  PSM Failure come up on way back from picking up car , also noticed brakes were sticking. Turned out to be Foot brake  Bush needed replacement. Aparantly a common problem.

That was a recall as far as I know.

13 minutes ago, mneil said:

That was a recall as far as I know.

I don't believe it was a recall. Perhaps a warranty claim if you had one. OPC certainly didn't contact me about the bush, changed it myself.

16 minutes ago, T24RES said:

I don't believe it was a recall. Perhaps a warranty claim if you had one. OPC certainly didn't contact me about the bush, changed it myself.

Yes warranty work I would imagine but a known fault with a replacement upgraded bush should be in recall territory.

Yes an easy replacement on a PDK, a different story on my manual, as I found out 😭.

OPC would not admit it was a recall, despite the fact my brakes would lock solid on.  A safety recall if ever I heard it !

Strange that it was the only warranty work done were the parts were actually in stock.

PSM fault both times has been a replacement active engine mounts for me.

On 7/5/2020 at 9:09 AM, topradio said:

It  seems that the 981 will throw random unnecessary warnings from time to time.  I've had 'low oil level' and 'handbrake fault' both disappearing once the ignition has been cycled.    

So if you are on a long motorway journey and the low oil level comes on, do you risk driving on assuming its a fake warning?

1 hour ago, Patt said:

PSM fault both times has been a replacement active engine mounts for me.

Thank goodness I haven't got these, one less thing to worry about.

It's been fine since that one time, I might put my code reader on today.

3 hours ago, 718as said:

So if you are on a long motorway journey and the low oil level comes on, do you risk driving on assuming its a fake warning?

Well that's the very quandary when a system cries wolf.  When it happened to me I stopped the car immediately and took a look underneath, there was no sign of a leak and I figured that if it was to burn the amount of oil necessary to throw a warning, the backend of the car and tailpipes would be covered in it. 

Also, before fancy electronics, how often would an engine consume enough oil in a handful of miles that the low level would damage it?

Archived