Got myself and extra inch

beaks

So being a 6'4" brick outhouse the 987 fits me ok, but only just...

Anyway, I was trying to figure out a way to get the seat laying back a little as I always felt just a tad 'bunched' up, especially with the roof up.

A few weeks back I removed the bulkhead carpet to see if that would allow the seat to recline a little more and yup, it sure did.

So today I made a 'slight modification' to the carpet and now the seat reclines a little more - not a huge difference but one that I can absolutely notice therefore more than worth doing.

You can't actually recline the seat any more than how I have it as the head rest will be into the back of the roll bar.

D6-F8-EE59-9-C75-4-B13-8-CC5-04-B98-D031

I added some Noico sound insulation that I had kicking around to the exposed steel and ally of the engine cover plate - not sure if it's actually needed or how much difference it'll make but it was on the shelf so thought I'd use it!

Anyway, just thought I'd share this with the lanky chaps out there.

Cheers,

Ian B

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, map said:

Proper surgery there 👏

Would it have been an option is to remove the padding on the reverse side of the carpet? How much would that gain I wonder?

I bought myself a spare carpet so that the original kept intact - agreed yes it's an option but peeling off foam etc takes forever and like you said may not have made the gain... too late now! 

the carpet only cost me £50 and was in the right colour so it was a no brainer really.

cheers,

Ian b

3 minutes ago, Christopher2110 said:

If it works it works!

Wonder like you say how much noise will be come through, and also heat.

been out for a drive and no difference to me at all.

don't really think it's there to absorb head - it's just sponge and some polystyrene...

3 hours ago, Christopher2110 said:

Wonder like you say how much noise will be come through.

3 hours ago, beaks said:

been out for a drive and no difference to me at all.

...says the guy who worked in F1 for several years...       

...pardon?

23 hours ago, Christopher2110 said:

Wonder like you say how much noise will be come through ....

I took the top and front engine covers off my 987 Cayman the other day and took it for a (very brisk) drive. 

Were it not for the fact that I am SURE my wife would HATE it then I wouldn't have put them back on. It sounded simply sublime! 😀

• Haha 1

On 11/21/2020 at 5:11 PM, map said:

Proper surgery there 👏

Would it have been an option is to remove the padding on the reverse side of the carpet? How much would that gain I wonder?

On the 986 the padding and carpet are separate so that worked wonders for myself who did this mod previously when I had the base 986 seats but I did refit the padding when I upgraded to the 987 seats as you're lower and further back in those somehow.  

I'm 6'3" but didn't find that I was struggling for room when I have driven 987's length ways but did find that my knee pressed against the side of the console much more than it does in my 986 and it is more squishy in my 986 o although I might brush my leg against it every now and then it doesn't seem noticeable. Could this be why you're trying to get the seat back that bit more? 

5 hours ago, zcacogp said:

I took the top and front engine covers off my 987 Cayman the other day and took it for a (very brisk) drive. 

Were it not for the fact that I am SURE my wife would HATE it then I wouldn't have put them back on. It sounded simply sublime! 😀

Hmm need to try that some time   😀 

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

Would it not have been easier to buy thin soled shoes? 🤔

only kidding, if that works for you, great result

let's not get into shoes (see Sparco thread)

it's more about the lean of the seat than legroom... 

an extreme way of doing it but hey, my car is specifically to be enjoyed 🙂

• 2 years later...

Hi just got a Boxster S 987.2 PDK

I’m only 5.10 and would like a touch more leg room even after trying every seat combination (electric) and wheel up down in out positions 

Come to the conclusion that it’s the left foot foot rest that’s the issue , so I just don’t use it then my left leg is not bent so high and on the centre dash console I will investigate if it can be relocated 

Ash

5 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Can you remove the foot rest?

There is actually something else under the footrest cover so that wouldn't make much difference at all.

Although there is enough space to fit your left foot on the floor to the right of the footrest... that's what I do with mine, makes a bit of difference for sure :)

Edited by Bike Loon

9 hours ago, Ash Franks said:

Hi just got a Boxster S 987.2 PDK

I’m only 5.10 and would like a touch more leg room even after trying every seat combination (electric) and wheel up down in out positions 

Come to the conclusion that it’s the left foot foot rest that’s the issue , so I just don’t use it then my left leg is not bent so high and on the centre dash console I will investigate if it can be relocated 

Ash

I have found in every Porsche I have owned or driven that I have to sit like they want me to, not how I would like. 

I want to lay down and lean back.  They want me to sit upright. Close to the wheel  

when I do it their way it feels comfortable but a bit unnatural

I am a bit too tall for roof down total comfort like that so I slouch a bit when roof down to get out of the airstream. 

whilst I am slightly taller than you I would suggest a “try it their way” attempt.