Driving with the spoiler raised

Cheddar Bob

So when I had the mini turbo, I used to drive round with my boy racer spoiler raised everywhere. .. It was the coupe

The box has this function to, but sadly I cant see the spoiler behind me as you all know well. However today I have popped it up and I might just leave it there. God knows why.

Anyway, does anyone else have this fetish thing for putting up spoilers and wings? 

Wondered who bought those Mini coupes ... 😇 ... for the spoiler - makes sense now.

A good five years ago when I had the turbo I was the opposite... only erect (ahem) for cleaning... preferred the look when it was down...

C83-C5-B8-A-E115-4-CCC-82-C2-315-D506-E6

C234-AA91-72-D2-486-C-932-C-DF57991-DC66

23 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

Wondered who bought those Mini coupes ... 😇 ... for the spoiler - makes sense now.

A good five years ago when I had the turbo I was the opposite... only erect (ahem) for cleaning... preferred the look when it was down...

C83-C5-B8-A-E115-4-CCC-82-C2-315-D506-E6

C234-AA91-72-D2-486-C-932-C-DF57991-DC66

yes I see the attraction when it is floppy :) 

38 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Anyway, does anyone else have this fetish thing for putting up spoilers and wings? 

Nope, utterly pointless as far as I can see, and the car looks much better with it in the lowered position.  I've raised mine once in the past year, partly to see if it actually worked, but mainly to clean underneath it.  I doubt if mine has even raised itself automatically either, because of course I am a law abiding citizen who keeps to the UK speed limit at all times (Sadly, I'm not even joking there! :lol:)

Just now, Davey P said:

Nope, utterly pointless as far as I can see, and the car looks much better with it in the lowered position.  I've raised mine once in the past year, partly to see if it actually worked, but mainly to clean underneath it.  I doubt if mine has even raised itself automatically either, because of course I am a law abiding citizen who keeps to the UK speed limit at all times (Sadly, I'm not even joking there! :lol:)

That's the issue with the spoiler, you never know when it is up or down. What is speed set at? 

Just now, Cheddar Bob said:

That's the issue with the spoiler, you never know when it is up or down. What is speed set at? 

I think it's 75mph, I'll have a look in the manual if anyone is really interested...... 

5 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I refer you to this:

Porsche 986 spoiler control indicator Boxster (S) | eBay

The light flashes when rising/lowering constant light when fully up.

4 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I think it's 75mph, I'll have a look in the manual if anyone is really interested...... 

I have this figure of 120 kph in my head for some reason which I think you're right is around 75 mph.  The spoiler does help to increase stability at higher speeds, it is genuinely a spoiler rather than a wing such as on the turbo above.

Goes up at 75mph and down at 50mph. However given that the speedo is optimistic youll probably find that 75mpg on the clock is an accurate 70mpg. I've checked mine against gps.

I think these figures are arbitary and not based on aerodynamics. However the spoiler does have a purpose it disrupts the airflow over the car to reduce lift. At a lower speed I suspect it interfers with streamlining so will increase mpg if deployed all the time.

1 minute ago, Cheddar Bob said:

too much effort for me to feel smug like a bell end that my spoiler is spoiling. 

You wanted to know how you could know if it was up or down... 🤔  and its the spoiler not your bell end we're referring to I trust  🤣

Just now, Boxob said:

Goes up at 75mph and down at 50mph. However given that the speedo is optimistic youll probably find that 75mpg on the clock is an accurate 70mpg. I've checked mine against gps.

User guide says: 

The spoiler extends at approx. 75 mph (120 km/h) and retracts at approx. 50 mph (80 km/h).
If automatic control fails, the warning light lights up and the spoiler must be extended manually before driving.

Interesting that your speedo isn't accurate.  I've checked mine against my sat nav, and it is virtually bang-on, with no more than 1 mph difference at motorway speeds.

3 minutes ago, Boxob said:

I think these figures are arbitary and not based on aerodynamics. However the spoiler does have a purpose it disrupts the airflow over the car to reduce lift. At a lower speed I suspect it interfers with streamlining so will increase mpg if deployed all the time.

You need to be well into 3 figures for the aero stability gain.  Seeps maybe date from the era of raising spoilers (Was the Mk 2 Corrado the first in the late 80's??) but if it rises at the UK limit you have flagged you exceeded the limit until you drop below 50 again!  I believe VW may have reprogrammed some of their UK models to activate at a lower speed.

My speedo is 5mph over reading vs TomTom.

1 minute ago, Davey P said:

Interesting that your speedo isn't accurate.  I've checked mine against my sat nav, and it is virtually bang-on, with no more than 1 mph difference at motorway speeds.

They are 'supposed' to be optimistic from the factory. IIRC it's an EU requirement to give some headroom to speed limits. Of couse wheel changes and / or tyre sizes can effect the rolling radius and the relationship between speedo and gps speeds.

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

but if it rises at the UK limit you have flagged you exceeded the limit

Thats the benefit of a manual override. No officer I raised it before I left home.

10 minutes ago, Davey P said:

User guide says: 

The spoiler extends at approx. 75 mph (120 km/h) and retracts at approx. 50 mph (80 km/h).
If automatic control fails, the warning light lights up and the spoiler must be extended manually before driving.

I wonder how fast you need to go before the car becomes unstable 

13 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

You wanted to know how you could know if it was up or down... 🤔  and its the spoiler not your bell end we're referring to I trust  🤣

yes, I did, but what I might do is bolt a really big one to it so I can see it without need of a light ;) 

Must not under read but can read up to 10% over.  70s and 80s Fords were notorious for being at the upper end to make them seem quicker. Good marketing.

8 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I wonder how fast you need to go before the car becomes unstable 

Why am I not surprised its you that asked that? The again if you find out you can pretend it is an early 917, they generated lift even when fitted with a so called spoiler. No wonder the drivers sh*t themselves the first year at Le Mans.

Archived