Thoughts on this high mile 3.2S please

Digidick

Still in the process of selling my 330d BMW but I'm searching the net each day to see whats about.

I've not purchased from a dealer since I was 20 years old (I'm now 47) but stumbled across this in Nottingham.

https://www.nottinghamcar.com/used-porsche-boxster-nottingham-nottinghamshire-3233202

I'm not scared of high miles on a BMW (mine has 158k) but not sure on a 3.2S but the spec on this looks good apart from no heated heats. I'm heading over to Notts today to go shopping with the wife so plan to swing in and take a quick look, can't go in too serious as mine has to be sold to buy a Boxster.

Thanks for any input.

Looks shiny on the surface.

I'm guessing those are some kind of copy wheels (Turbo-a-like) ?

Lack of heated seats would cause me to avoid.

Advisory on last MOT

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint has slight play (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Yes agree copy wheels and yes I'd spotted that on the MOT history. It would be something I'd want them to sort or I use it as a slight bargaining tool and do the work myself as I'd want both sides doing.

Are heated seats a big issue on a Boxster, is it a must have from all owners?. I do like the heated seats in my BMW and as this will be my new daily it would be nice to have but the spec does look very good and I'm loving the colour scheme.

27 minutes ago, Digidick said:

Yes agree copy wheels and yes I'd spotted that on the MOT history. It would be something I'd want them to sort or I use it as a slight bargaining tool and do the work myself as I'd want both sides doing.

Are heated seats a big issue on a Boxster, is it a must have from all owners?. I do like the heated seats in my BMW and as this will be my new daily it would be nice to have but the spec does look very good and I'm loving the colour scheme.

The heated seats is a personal thing, I wouldn't buy one without them, others wouldn't give two hoots.

I don't think the blower heaters are that great in the cars vs other makes I've had (which is why I like the heated seats too). 

Can only suggest when circumstances allow that you drive one and see what you think re heater etc..

I like the roof contrast too.

Check the usual suspects of service/paperwork history, any work suspension refresh, front cross over coolant pipes,  inside of brake disks (they can look fine on the outside but be corroded behind), Clutch/IMS/RMS work (if any).

There's a mantra of buy on condition and not mileage in the forum.

Good luck with the hunt.

Cheers. 

yes at those miles I’d expect a clutch has gone in and am I right in saying the IMS is better on these? 

The thing I don’t like about dealers is that they won’t know the car and can only go by the paperwork, it’s always nice to speak to owners. Would be good to get a cheeky look at an invoice, might have a phone number on it. 

I’ll report back in a bit. 

I think MY2006 is when the double row bearing was introduced

There are some details re the IMS by engine type/serial number in the link below.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing.htm

The car has obviously done some mileage and has stood the test of miles/time thus far 🤞, so don't make this a sole focus.

At the age/mileage I would expect to park some contingency money to deal with refresh on things like suspension if not already covered and anything unexpected (it's a car after all).

At that age forget the IMS and start to wonder about shells (note, only wonder, not worry).

Heated seats is very personal. Non-OEM can be retrofitted without too much difficulty.

I see it also has PASM - good but how close are those shocks to needing replacement at that mileage, I think we saw a quote at 500 a corner (not the 1k a corner I initially remembered) - xenon lights and cruise control. Bose music - supposedly good, not particularly impressed with mine, and more fiddly to swap out. MFSW, great if you use it (perhaps you will in a daily), a waste for us weekenders who listen to the flat 6 instead. Peeling aircon buttons are an irritant and should be changed.

I would check the phone connection to see if it really works, many times the original customer didn't order the last link so it looks like phone connection but it won't work. I don't know if those screenshots indicate that it does work.

Being a daily you will put a lot more miles on, so you'll buy cheap but sell even cheaper - if at all!! Up to you.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

At that age forget the IMS and start to wonder about shells (note, only wonder, not worry).

Heated seats is very personal. Non-OEM can be retrofitted without too much difficulty.

I see it also has PASM - good but how close are those shocks to needing replacement at that mileage, I think we saw a quote at 500 a corner (not the 1k a corner I initially remembered) - xenon lights and cruise control. Bose music - supposedly good, not particularly impressed with mine, and more fiddly to swap out. MFSW, great if you use it (perhaps you will in a daily), a waste for us weekenders who listen to the flat 6 instead. Peeling aircon buttons are an irritant and should be changed.

I would check the phone connection to see if it really works, many times the original customer didn't order the last link so it looks like phone connection but it won't work. I don't know if those screenshots indicate that it does work.

Being a daily you will put a lot more miles on, so you'll buy cheap but sell even cheaper - if at all!! Up to you.

Brilliant answer, thank you and you’re very right I will put some miles on (12k a year) and it’ll be a bugger to move on for decent money. I’m actually not going to bother viewing it, my initial excitement had been pulled back into line by you guys - lol!!  

im trying to sell my 3 Series and have a few quid in the bank to get her how I want it if needed. 

I would echo the heated seats comments.  

I have driven convertibles for 15 years.  12 of those Audi A4 convertible. Didn’t have heated seats.  When I bought by 1st boxster that didn’t have them. No issue as far as I was concerned. 

soon learned that when roof down on cold days ( and I have done -5 in the Audi, love driving then roof down in the winter. ) the cabin on the boxster not as snug as the Audi. 

I swapped the 1st boxster after about 18 months because a “unicorn” came up, high spec , low miles, full documented history. 

That has heated seats and now I wouldn’t be without them on a boxster. Nice to have in the cold weather roof up daily, a “must have” roof down on those days. 

Looks pretty that's for sure.

For those miles, as mentioned I'd want to see a whole raft of receipts for (essential) work / servicing. The fact the advert doesn't mention a FSH or a folder of receipts says a lot - anyone in the trade knows that if you had this paperwork, you'd put it on the advert.

Also, it may be me but the exhaust looks like it's slightly 'on the p*ss' - not sure how it could be knowing how the system goes together but it does look weird.

So - I think a phone call to discuss history is essential. If it doesn't have any, I'd say the price is a little high, and you should budget around £1,500 to bring it back up to scratch. As we all know if it's on rubbish tyres there's a lot of money already putting it right.

Cheers,

Ian B

3 hours ago, Topbox said:

Price seems a high for the miles, but it sure looks good. 

2 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

What he said.... can get a lot lower miles for that sort of money.

I agree that the miles are obviously higher than most folks' taste, but that's why it's a manual 3.2 S at either tiptronic or lower-miles 2.7 money?

Last time I looked, at £8k the world was hardly your 987S oyster. At £10k+, yes.

Cheers, Baggers.

10 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

At 5K it would be a bargain especially if the running gear has been replaced 

Are you messing your 6s with your 7s Mick?

As in 98s...

Cheers, Baggers.

21 minutes ago, 986CKY said:

I don't even think he has read the topic on this occasion. 

It's a very real possibility that he thought he was on his Alfa forum.

If so for £5k he'd be expecting a 2015 not a 2005 mind.

Cheers, Baggers.

1 hour ago, bagss2 said:

It's a very real possibility that he thought he was on his Alfa forum.

If so for £5k he'd be expecting a 2015 not a 2005 mind.

Cheers, Baggers.

Picked up on a wrong link , from the numbnuts WhatsApp group, apologies 😡

I paid only a little more for my 2005 3.2S a few months ago. Mine has a touch over half that mileage and came with a full folder of history. Identical spec in black. Mine was a private sale though. 

On 12/29/2020 at 11:18 AM, Menoporsche said:

PASM shocks Bilstein B4 for rears c£250 not fitted @911Design

Archived