Coolant hose dripping again

Ninesomething

Thought I'd stopped it so I guess I'll have to replace it. I think it's the rubber one just inside the driver's side front wheel but I'll know when I get it on the ramp. I see it listed on the design 911 website. Is it going to be cheaper from the OPC and is there anyway to replace it without draining the whole system?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can you get a hose clamp to it? you maybe able to do a clamp remove one end and a quick [whilst getting wet!] swap, but I doubt it!
or even 2 clamps near to the rigid ends, cut the old in the middle and then do a swap The 2 clamp method would help stop the flow from the opposing end, but at some point you would have to release and open to atomsphere - I doubt there is a valve you can shut?

and yes OPC are normally cheaper than Design911 I have found in my experience, not always but most of the time

sorry this doesn't directly answer your question!

There is no way you can clamp, if you get all set up with both ends moving , out and in with new , you should not lose too much coolant, but more than likely the hose ends are seized in, and that’s a different game. I have a vac bleeder so it’s not a problem, but rear end raised , bleeder open , temp on full , hold the revs at 2000 rpm for 30 secs several times it should burp

The rubber pipes have steel collars that corrode and fuse to the aluminium cross pipes. Sometimes they separate but usually not so you end up dropping the front sub frame to replace everything.  

There is a bleed valve for the coolant system under the engine cover on a Gen 1 987

8 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

Sometimes they separate but usually not so you end up dropping the front sub frame to replace everything.  

This ^ is quite expensive.  Ask me how I know.......... :lol:

27 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Does the nose cone have to come off?

Lot of potential wallet ache for a drip....

No. Just the undertrays and arch liner. You can fit new pipes without dropping the subframe but it is a total ballache and if I were doing it again, I'd just drop it. 

43 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Lot of potential wallet ache for a drip....

Sadly this now seems to be a long term expense that 987 owners have to look forward to/ check for; to the extent that any work involving subframe, or possibly even front suspension, get this job done at the same time. 

I haven’t yet understood if replacement parts will do the same after 8 years or if they are improved. 

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

No. Just the undertrays and arch liner. You can fit new pipes without dropping the subframe but it is a total ballache and if I were doing it again, I'd just drop it. 

+1

@JonSta if the subframe has to come off to do it easily think about the left to right brake line and also pipes on the power steering rack, all of which can corrode, as all of these are reported as being a lot easier with the sub frame dropped even if you're paying someone to do it.  Oh and a geometry check after dropping the subframe...

Archived